• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thekob

Mar 15, 2013
    Columbia, SC
    Hello All;

I'm planning on visiting relations in MD and, try as I might, can't seem to find a concensus on whether or not I'm allowed to bring any guns with me to go shooting and exactly how to transport them. Most of the info seems to be conflicting or just so outlandish I have trouble believing it's true. I'm well aware that what passes for outlandish down here in SC regarding guns is run-of-the-mill in MD though.

At any rate, I'll be driving a pickup (i.e. no locking trunk, it'll be covered by a fabric bed cover is all) with my wife and 2 year old to visit relations. Since he just bought an AR15 (has a heavy barrel, so it's okey dokey....see "outlandish" comment in the above paragraph) I was hoping to bring along some of my stuff to fulfill the unwritten "I'll let you shoot mine if I can shoot yours" rule. The guns I'm hoping to bring along with the mags that I have are as follows:

- Entreprise Arms FAL (20 rd mags)
    - AR15 in 22LR (30 or 50 rd mags)
    - Springfield XD Subcompact (12 or 9 rd mags)
    - Sig Sauer Mosquito (10 rd mags)
    - 1911 (8 rd mags)

I was wondering about the three questions below:
    1) Is it legal to bring up these to my uncle's residence and keep them there while I'm in town?
    2) If so, what configuration need they be carried in (guns, ammo, mags in the cab, in the bed, any/all locked, etc)?
    3) Am I legally allowed to stop along the way while in MD (diaper changes)?

Thanks for yall's help, and I hope you all have a great, fun/family filled holiday season.

thekob

Mar 15, 2013
    Columbia, SC
    Bring your uncle some 11+ round mags for a gift. We can't buy them in MD but we can bring them in from out of state.

Is that a fact? I was under the impression that a MD could not bring them in from out of state... If so, then his wife will be getting a bottle of wine and he'll be getting some pmags.

thekob

Mar 15, 2013
    Columbia, SC
    Perhaps you should treat your uncle to a real fantasy vacation and have him visit you!

They have come down to Myrtle for famiy vacations in the past, but with the kids all grown and moved out I'm not sure if they'll do that again. Also, there's not much in my neck of the woods that might interest them tourist wise, but since my brother lives in Myrtle it's a foregone conclusion that if they do happen to come down, I'll be coming in for a weekend and we'll go shooting.

thekob

Mar 15, 2013
    Columbia, SC
    As long as you transport according to FOPA, you should be fine.

If you are carrying, be sure to lock it up (unloaded, etc.) before crossing in.

The diaper changes? Stuff happens.

So basically FOPA means keeping guns locked up and seperate from the ammo. Can I have the mags pre-loaded or do they have to be empty? Do the ammo and mags have to be locked up? Also, do the three components have to be seperate in any configuration (ammo in the bed, guns in the cab, etc)?

Sorry for all the q's, just want to make sure I do it right (and simultaniously put my wife's mind at ease...worst nightmare would be to be in jail outside of my home state for the holidays while on a trip with wife and child).

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Uncle would have to take possession out of state.

THIS. He would have to meet you at the Virginia line to take possession of them. You can't transfer them in state.

As for the guns, keep them in a locked case out of reach and the ammo separate and you should be fine in Maryland. Personally I'd put them under the rear seat of the truck if there's room. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH WASHINGTON DC. The police in DC do not care about your FOPA rights, and will take your guns/arrest you if you get stopped there for any reason. We've had folks around here get arrested in DC for having nothing but a spent casing in their car.

thekob

Mar 15, 2013
    Columbia, SC
    Uncle would have to take possession out of state.

Thanks for the tip, they may be planning on taking me up to a range in PA to shoot outside depending on the weather so if we do he could take possession there. If the weather looks bad I may just leave the FAL at home since we'd be shooting indoors and I've never heard of an indoor range where you can shoot 308.

thekob

Mar 15, 2013
    Columbia, SC
    THIS. He would have to meet you at the Virginia line to take possession of them. You can't transfer them in state.

As for the guns, keep them in a locked case out of reach and the ammo separate and you should be fine in Maryland. Personally I'd put them under the rear seat of the truck if there's room. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH WASHINGTON DC. The police in DC do not care about your FOPA rights, and will take your guns/arrest you if you get stopped there for any reason. We've had folks around here get arrested in DC for having nothing but a spent casing in their car.

Thanks for pointing that out. I've been trying to keep up to date about that guy who's crazy ex reported him and had his house raided....they "recovered" an unfired round and a spent casing. I'm glad to hear he didn't accept the plea deal and is following through, hopefully the NRA or another gun rights group can make a big case out of it and win back some rights.

I'm also making sure I take the beltway on the way around, whichs seems to not actually drive through DC. One time on the drive back down (no guns in the car) the Garmin led us through a place where one of the exits was Malcolm X Blvd. Even scary in broad daylight. I believe the comedian Pete Holmes said the best thing to do to get out of an area like that was to tell your GPS to route you to the nearest Barnes & Noble....

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    I'm also making sure I take the beltway on the way around, whichs seems to not actually drive through DC.

Do yourself a favor and take the scenic route. Hop off of 95 at the Richmond bypass and don't look back. Work your way up into Maryland via 301 - just watch for speed traps (pretty much every town you drive through) while you're still in that part of VA. The Nice bridge is kind of fun if you've never been over it and probably fairly... exciting... if you don't like bridges (which is not a problem for me, but fair warning).

I've been driving from MD to FL and back for many years and every time I do the 95 stretch from Richmond up to/through D.C. (or D.C. to Richmond), I regret it.

That way you won't even have to think about the tenth of a mile (.11 miles to be exact) stretch of 495 that may or may not cross the D.C. boundary, depending on who you ask.

-Rob

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Thanks for the tip, they may be planning on taking me up to a range in PA to shoot outside depending on the weather so if we do he could take possession there. If the weather looks bad I may just leave the FAL at home since we'd be shooting indoors and I've never heard of an indoor range where you can shoot 308.

Just disassemble the magazines and give them to him as repair kits. . . to keep the mags he has up and running of course :innocent0

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Do yourself a favor and take the scenic route. Hop off of 95 at the Richmond bypass and don't look back. Work your way up into Maryland via 301 - just watch for speed traps (pretty much every town you drive through) while you're still in that part of VA. The Nice bridge is kind of fun if you've never been over it and probably fairly... exciting... if you don't like bridges (which is not a problem for me, but fair warning).

I've been driving from MD to FL and back for many years and every time I do the 95 stretch from Richmond up to/through D.C. (or D.C. to Richmond), I regret it.

That way you won't even have to think about the tenth of a mile (.11 miles to be exact) stretch of 495 that may or may not cross the D.C. boundary, depending on who you ask.

-Rob

301 is so much better than going through the Springfield mixing bowl.

Of course, the Nice bridge is "fun."

Clipboard01.jpg

12.jpg

Jul 9, 2013
    Jesus, just tell him to say he met you out-of-state. There's no reason to tap dance around this.

"But what if the MSP is on this website and they read that I gave advice that could be interpreted as illegal?" :rolleye12

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom