• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • raff696

Nov 1, 2008
    My bro wants to by a rifle from a friend that lives in PA. As far as I know the weapon is a m1 carbine. I never heard of that. Maybe he is thinking of a m14. Well the real question is does he need to have his. Buddy send the rifle to an md FFL dealer? I did a search on here thru the tapatalk app and didn't find anything. Thats why I'm asking.

Karl/PA

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Chambersburg
    Yep, the M1 carbine shoots .30 cal M1 carbine ammo. Buddyb needs to send rifle to a MD FFL.

AMM-6012_A.jpg

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Fed law requires it. State to state is not just FTF. It needs to go through an FFL to be a legal transfer.
    He could go to the state where it is and have an FFL do the paper work there

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    Is you bro a MD resident? If so, no transfers between individuals of different states. Must go thru MD FFL is he is a MD resident.

I didn't know a PA FFL could do it, but it makes sense if it's not regulated.

raff696

Nov 1, 2008
    Yes my bro is a md resident. Well I just told him. I pretty much was on the right track I just needed some confirmation. I know you guys are awesome at this stuff so, any time I have gun stuff to ask I always check in here!

raff696

Nov 1, 2008
    So my bro told me that he talked to a local FFL and he does not need to go thru an FFL for the transfer of the M1 Carbine. I would assume its because it's not a regulated firearm. I am 50/50 on this. I just don't want him to get in any trouble. But the FFL that told him this info is prob not completely wrong. Still with md's crazy laws I'd rather be safe then sorry.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    So my bro told me that he talked to a local FFL and he does not need to go thru an FFL for the transfer of the M1 Carbine. I would assume its because it's not a regulated firearm. I am 50/50 on this. I just don't want him to get in any trouble. But the FFL that told him this info is prob not completely wrong. Still with md's crazy laws I'd rather be safe then sorry.

The FFL is completely wrong. Federal law requires interstate transfers to go through an FFL. Since it's not regulated, it could be a PA or MD FFL, but it HAS to go through an FFL. No gray area at all, it has to.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

This is NOT a state law. We are talking about the Gun Control Act of 1968. Serious Federal stuff. That FFL better learn his rules real quick otherwise ATF agents will close him down and ruin his life.

The only LEGAL exception is if your bother has an ATF 03 license, called a C&R license, and the firearm is on ATF's C&R list or over 50 years old.

Andronitis

Jul 19, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    The FFL is completely wrong. Federal law requires interstate transfers to go through an FFL. Since it's not regulated, it could be a PA or MD FFL, but it HAS to go through an FFL. No gray area at all, it has to.
    Here is the deal. If you brother was buying this M1 Carbine off the shelf of a PA FFL then it does not need to go through an MD FFL since PA is a border state to MD. However since we are talking about two individuals from different states here are the options 1) PA resident ships the rifle directly to a MD FFL then your brother picks up the rifle after a 4473 and a NICS check 2) Your brother and the PA resident meet at a PA FFL and the PA dealer puts the rifle on his federal books and then runs the NICS. Either way you must involve a dealer. As mentioned before if they were both residents of the same state then this would not be an issue. Hope this helps.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick

Is it possible the FFL didn't know the transferee was in another state?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom