• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    Just picked up an Ortgies 7.65mm pistol. I got it from Ocala Armory in FL. I had seen it advertised a while ago, and for one reason or another never really followed up. I somehow ran into their website again, and saw it there a week ago. Luckily, they were open on Sunday, so after a quick haggle and acceptance we had a deal, and I just got it today.

I took it apart, cleaned some surface rust on some of the internal parts, oiled and greased it, and got it back together. Here are some pics

146s.jpg

145s.jpg

this is a closeup of the really neat stylized "D" on the grip:

148s.jpg

It's an interesting gun - striker-fired, so no hammer, and it has a grip safety that is released by the button you see on the left side. When I get a chance to shoot it I'll give a range report, but for now it's going in the safe with the rest of its 7.65mm / .32 ACP siblings:

149s.jpg

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Congrats. I like mine. Can be a real SOB to put back together, though, being careful not to accidentally shoot the firing pin spring into lower Earth orbit. ;)

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    At first I didn't understand the single pistol Ortgies.

Having the six pistols makes more sense when referring to Ortgies.

Will it shoot .32 acp like the others?

I just like the snake emblem/medallion.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The 7.65/.32 was regarded as an excellent target pistol when it came out. I look forward to a range report.

I have the smaller frame .25 cal version. The .25 is interesting, but its not its big brother. I bought the .25 hoping it might have less recoil, better accuracy and better hand feel than a micro 1906 .25 vest pocket, but the .25 Ortgies fails on all counts. Since I have several .380's, I would buy a .380 Ortgies if the opportunity arose, but I'm too cheap to add another caliber to my collection even though the .32 seems to be the best of the Ortgies family.

There are some descriptions of the takedown procedure on some other websites, but I do not feel they are 100% accurate. The other descriptions are close enough that I could get mine apart and back together, but I feel the following is more accurate:

Ortgies takedown & reassemble

Field Stripping:
    1. Remove magazine and make sure breech is empty.
    2. Draw slide back so middle slide serrations line up with the rear edge of the frame, press the take-down (safety) button, allow slide to move forward, and lift the slide up.* Take care not to lose the striker-spring guide.
    3. Draw the slide forward off the front of the barrel.
    4. Remove the recoil spring from the front of the barrel.
    5. Remove the barrel by twisting counterclockwise until it is at right angles to the slide and lift up.
    6. Remove the grip plates by inserting a screwdriver into the magazine well and pressing in on the grip latch.* While holding the grip latch down, pry upward on the rear of each grip.* The wood slot in the rear of the grip that takes the latch is quite thin, so the grip plates should be removed as seldom as possible and with great care.

Reassembly:
    1. Make sure the recoil spring has its smaller end toward the rear of the barrel and the larger end forward.
    2. Using a small tool, compress the striker spring and its guide rod and push the rear of the guide rod down into the small detent milled into the top of the slide.* While the striker spring is compressed and before you have the slide on the gun, keep a finger over the back of the slide to make sure the guide rod doesn’t get launched into space if it comes out of the detent.
    3. Place recoil spring on barrel (small end goes inside frame recess).
    4. Hook the slide over the recoil spring and barrel and pull it toward the rear (half of space behind rear serrations even with rear of frame) then depress safety/take down button and move rear of slide down onto frame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom