• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goneshootin88

Sep 22, 2009
    MOCO
    I need help deciding on my next purchase. I got all my Christmas shopping done and had money left over and also got a bonus so its time for some new toys. Any insight would be helpful. I know the usual response to just get all of them will come up , and I will at some point, but what would your first choice be?
    1) Yugo SKS (never fired) and a P22 to put a can on later
    2) AMD-65 (or some other AK style rifle)
    3) Start a 9mm AR build
    4) Get a Saiga 12 to start converting
    5) CZ SP-01

Last edited:

Ultimate Member
    I need help deciding on my next purchase. I got all my Christmas shopping done and had money left over and also got a bonus so its time for some new toys. Any insight would be helpful. I know the usual response to just get all of them will come up , and I will at some point, but what would your first choice be?
    3) Start a 9mm AR build
    5) CZ SP-01

the AMD-65 will never give you any trouble and they take standard AK stuff. If you want a project to work on, do the 9mm AR, that will probably cost the most.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    3) Start a 9mm AR build
    5) CZ SP-01

CZ :thumbsup:
    Saiga 12 :thumbsup:

If you get a Yugo SKS be sure its bore and gas system isnt corroded

For the 9mm Build just get a CMMG Upper with their ramped bolt system, and a Hy-Tech UZI mag well adaptor.

I dont like the AMD so I have nothing positive to say about it.

Walther P22 and the SIG Mosquito are 2 of the biggest P.O.S. .22 pistols ever made, right next to the Taurus PT22. Oh man those guns are TURDS. SIG and Walther should be ashamed of themselves. Total junk! Stay away! If you want to can a .22 pistol do it to a Ruger 22/24 or MK I, II, III

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Aww don't crap all over the P22. Mine had some hiccups at first, but after being broken in, it's not given me any issues. I concede that there are apparently better .22s out there, I just don't have any personal experience with them.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    Walther P22 and the SIG Mosquito are 2 of the biggest P.O.S. .22 pistols ever made, right next to the Taurus PT22. Oh man those guns are TURDS. SIG and Walther should be ashamed of themselves. Total junk! Stay away! If you want to can a .22 pistol do it to a Ruger 22/24 or MK I, II, III

Not a thing wrong with my P22. :)

What's wrong with yours?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Not a thing wrong with my P22. :)

What's wrong with yours?

I dont own one. I fix guns for a living. I see them all of the time for problems. Cracked slides. OOB KB's, failure to go into battery, springs that wear out after 500 rounds, soft parts (hammer, slide, safety, rails)

Nothing Personal, but thay are junk, pure pot metal junk. I can admit when certain guns have a few flaws but these 2 platforms are complete crap. There is nothing good about them besides the size and them looking "cool".

My dad wanted one for christmas (P22), I told him to choose another gun but he wants the P22, I told him its on him if it breaks. I want nothing to do with them.

I have several customers with Mosquitos and P22's that have been back to the factory more than 3 times (We wont work on them anymore) and the Factory cant even get them to work, a few were replaced and the replacements dont work. :mad54:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Aww don't crap all over the P22. Mine had some hiccups at first, but after being broken in, it's not given me any issues. I concede that there are apparently better .22s out there, I just don't have any personal experience with them.

Nothing personal but I have seen enough of those turds for problems to make me have a stroke. I wont deal with them, and the factory cant fix them right either. Their solution is to run stingers or a "favored" load out of them.

Sorry I dont buy that. I can see a firearm not likng one or 2 brands but when it only works on one brand then the design of the weapon is FUBAR.

If yours works you might consider selling it, and getting something that is more reliable. Once yours breaks it might not work anymore once Walther "Repairs" it.

My anger is directed towards Walther and SIG here. I really burns me up when customers have to endure crap guns. Its sorta expected from "cheap" brands but people expect the name od SIG and Walther to mean quality, but in these 2 cases they dont. I dont like customers getting screwed, it burns me up.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Nothing personal but I have seen enough of those turds for problems to make me have a stroke. I wont deal with them, and the factory cant fix them right either. Their solution is to run stingers or a "favored" load out of them.

Sorry I dont buy that. I can see a firearm not likng one or 2 brands but when it only works on one brand then the design of the weapon is FUBAR.

If yours works you might consider selling it, and getting something that is more reliable. Once yours breaks it might not work anymore once Walther "Repairs" it.

My anger is directed towards Walther and SIG here. I really burns me up when customers have to endure crap guns. Its sorta expected from "cheap" brands but people expect the name od SIG and Walther to mean quality, but in these 2 cases they dont. I dont like customers getting screwed, it burns me up.

Funny you mention that, I put it in the classifieds earlier this morning. Not because it has given me problems, but because I'm trying to fund another toy.

A shame that two big name companies have dealt themselves so much damage over these platforms, though.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Funny you mention that, I put it in the classifieds earlier this morning. Not because it has given me problems, but because I'm trying to fund another toy.

A shame that two big name companies have dealt themselves so much damage over these platforms, though.

You sneaky fella. :innocent0:D

So whatcha gonnabuy with the funds?

goneshootin88

Sep 22, 2009
    MOCO
    I'm going to get the kadet kit at some point because I have a P-01, but they're about $100 more than the p22. But if I get an ak then I could also maybe get the kadet kit and I won't have to wait 30 days:innocent0

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I'm going to get the kadet kit at some point because I have a P-01, but they're about $100 more than the p22. But if I get an ak then I could also maybe get the kadet kit and I won't have to wait 30 days:innocent0

If you get the Kit you don't have to wait at all, it's not a weapon, it's just parts, and you can have it delivered to your door. Maybe that's what you were saying...

I have the Kadet as a pistol, and I like it very much, the only thing not analogous to my "big" (.40 S&W Baby Desert Eagle II) pistol is the safety, where the Kadet has a frame mounted safety and the BEII has a slide decocker. It's great for practice w/o using up too much ammo. Someone out there makes or used to make threader barrels for the Kadets, too, so if you can find that, you could have your silencer down the line on it.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    I dont own one. I fix guns for a living. I see them all of the time for problems. Cracked slides. OOB KB's, failure to go into battery, springs that wear out after 500 rounds, soft parts (hammer, slide, safety, rails)

Nothing Personal, but thay are junk, pure pot metal junk. I can admit when certain guns have a few flaws but these 2 platforms are complete crap. There is nothing good about them besides the size and them looking "cool".

My dad wanted one for christmas (P22), I told him to choose another gun but he wants the P22, I told him its on him if it breaks. I want nothing to do with them.

I have several customers with Mosquitos and P22's that have been back to the factory more than 3 times (We wont work on them anymore) and the Factory cant even get them to work, a few were replaced and the replacements dont work. :mad54:

Fair enough ...
    I actually heard of some of these problems (after buying my P22).
    The problems were supposedly isolated to a particular run and I never had any problems right out of the box with mine, but just as a precaution, I did some research and followed some tips that were provided on the Rimfire.com site. One tip I remember doing was polishing the ears on the trigger. Apparently the rough edges on the trigger ears would eat away at the slide and cause them to crack. Another tip was to slightly reshape (file) and polish the hammer. Apparently, the edge of hammer would catch and cause FTF's and in some cases, interfere with being able to engage the safety.

Again, the problems were supposedly isolated to a particular run but I went ahead and took precautions anyway. Whether it was necessary or not is really hard to say. Regardless, there's alot of good info on the P22 on that site and generally speaking, it appears most P22 owners are pretty happy with their purchase.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Fair enough ...
    I actually heard of some of these problems (after buying my P22).
    The problems were supposedly isolated to a particular run and I never had any problems right out of the box with mine, but just as a precaution, I did some research and followed some tips that were provided on the Rimfire.com site. One tip I remember doing was polishing the ears on the trigger. Apparently the rough edges on the trigger ears would eat away at the slide and cause them to crack. Another tip was to slightly reshape (file) and polish the hammer. Apparently, the edge of hammer would catch and cause FTF's and in some cases, interfere with being able to engage the safety.

Again, the problems were supposedly isolated to a particular run but I went ahead and took precautions anyway. Whether it was necessary or not is really hard to say. Regardless, there's alot of good info on the P22 on that site and generally speaking, it appears most P22 owners are pretty happy with their purchase.

Its more than just one run, even some new models have issues. Those tips do help some models but the metal is still substandard (Soft and Weak)

Hopefully all will be well with yours, again please dont take my input personally. I get angry when gun companies put out sub standard guns with a premium name attached. They have had years to sort these problems out and they are still happening today.

Best wishes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom