• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    I just found out I'm getting a nice amount of money back from my taxes and have decided to buy some optics. I am looking to spend around 500 and I want to stick with a red dot. I have fixed sights on my AR so I would want it to work with them as well. I've been reading and I guess I would want it to be able to "co-witness" with the sights. Any suggestions on where to look or what to purchase?:D

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I just found out I'm getting a nice amount of money back from my taxes and have decided to buy some optics. I am looking to spend around 500 and I want to stick with a red dot. I have fixed sights on my AR so I would want it to work with them as well. I've been reading and I guess I would want it to be able to "co-witness" with the sights. Any suggestions on where to look or what to purchase?:D

co-witness just means that you can see your BUIS through your RDS, not necessarily that they match up exactly. If you're looking for an "absolute" co-witness (i.e. the dot is lined up with the sights) you can get an Aimpoint H1 with a LaRue absolute cowitness VFZ mount for $579.60. If you don't need an absolute co-witness and go with a lower one third (less cluttered sight if you have a fixed front sight post or a fixed BUIS) go with the LaRue tall mount. If you want to spend a bit more go for the T1, and if you want to be able to have QD, go for the lever mount instead of the VFZ mount, it's 20 bucks more. Another option is the new Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic, which I'm seeing around $400 around the web. I have an H1 on a tall mount on my fixed front sight post AR and a T1 on a absolute mount on my rifle with flipups. Pictures below comparing both heights and the two available mounts from LaRue.

Attachments

• DSCN0093.jpg
      DSCN0093.jpg
      110.5 KB · Views: 366
    • DSCN0092.jpg
      DSCN0092.jpg
      82.4 KB · Views: 373
    • DSCN0091.jpg
      DSCN0091.jpg
      62.2 KB · Views: 377
    • DSCN0090.jpg
      DSCN0090.jpg
      99.6 KB · Views: 366

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure about the cowitness. I see you have a flip up BUIS, I have a fixed rear. Would this work with a RDS or would i need to purchase a flip up rear as well? Also, have you had any experience with the Comp M2? Nice rifles, BTW!

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure about the cowitness. I see you have a flip up BUIS, I have a fixed rear. Would this work with a RDS or would i need to purchase a flip up rear as well? Also, have you had any experience with the Comp M2? Nice rifles, BTW!

What kind of fixed rear do you have? I've seen people use the LaRue tall mount with fixed LaRue rears and other fixed rear sights w/o a problem. Ultimately it's up to you, you may want an absolute co-witness one, just keep in mind a lot of the view through the tube will be filled with your irons. I haven't used a Comp M2, but I've heard good things. If I were to go towards the bigger Aimpoints I'd look into the new PRO they've come out with which has 2MOA dot and is cheaper while retaining NV capability and 150m depth (not that I'm planning on going scuba diving with any of my stuff.)

cobracutter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 6, 2009
    Dont waste your money on an aimpoint. I have been issued every model but the T1 and have bought a few as well. Get a vortex or PA RDS. No way in hell they are worth 400+ for a red dot. They were at one time the only relaible game in town, but thats history. If they didnt have fat gov contracts, like surefire, they would have went belly up by now.

I have a m2/m3/h1 and i would never pay full price for one. Used or around 50% retail is all I would pay for one, if and only if it was a duty gun. Buy more ammo and mags, or another Upper/lower.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Dont waste your money on an aimpoint. I have been issued every model but the T1 and have bought a few as well. Get a vortex or PA RDS. No way in hell they are worth 400+ for a red dot. They were at one time the only relaible game in town, but thats history. If they didnt have fat gov contracts, like surefire, they would have went belly up by now.

I have a m2/m3/h1 and i would never pay full price for one. Used or around 50% retail is all I would pay for one, if and only if it was a duty gun. Buy more ammo and mags, or another Upper/lower.

Price no object, what would you buy, an Aimpoint or a Vortex?

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    I was looking at the Vortex as well. I might go that route just because i could get a RDS and a magnifier for the price of an Aimpoint.

skip17

Jun 17, 2010
    I just measured the height of my YHM rear flip mount and my National Match fixed rear. Not an exact measurement but they are the same or at least within a few thousands of each other as best I can tell. Do you consider an EOTech a red dot? I ask because my EOTech co-witnesses with my flip ups without any adapters. I have an Aimpoint H1, an EOTech, and ACOG. I use the Aimpoint on a PS-90, two different EOTech on two different AR uppers and a Trijicon ACOG on another upper. All in all, I like the EOTech better because of the larger 65 MOA circle around the 1 MOA dot that allows quick acquisition. The Aimpoint is a 4 MOA dot so you loose a little accurancy at distance. All are well made and have held zero for me. I just purchased an inexpensive Barska red dot to put on a Beretta CX4 storm. I originally had an EOTech installed but it did not line up well with the fixed sites. The Barska lines up on the money. I can't speak to the Barska reliability at this point but it is another option and for $70 is worth the experiment. Hope I didn't cloud the issue or answer to your question. Just thought I would provide other options.

cobracutter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 6, 2009
    No, I'm very particular about optics. I tried to compromise once, never again.

I own 4 Trijicon optics, 1 Leupold and 2 Aimpoint. Outside of Nightforce or S&B I doubt I will ever buy outside of those companys.

I guess Premier, USO, Hensdolt and IOR are junk too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom