• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hollywood58

Nov 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    I recently purchased a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 scope for my Remi .308 sps tactical bolt. I have a Nightforce 20 moa steel base.

Need some help finding the correct rings for the scope and I have two options to consider: a 1 piece ring set up or 2 individual rings.

I really wanted to use a 1 piece ring set-up, but I can't find any in steel to match the steel base. Any suggestions on this?

2nd option is to use steel rings, but not sure what height rings to go with the Viper's objective. I'd like to use the low rings, but not sure if the scope would clear the barrel. Any suggestions on rings?

Thanks!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Use separate rings. One piece are too high. Usually.

You want to shoot for 1.5 inches from centerline of bore to centerline of scope.

And the lower you mount the scope the better off you will be.

Burris Z-Rings will afford you a lot flexibility.

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    I have the Badger Ordnance 20 MOA base on my Remington SPS Varmint. I am not sure how similar the height dimensions are to the NightForce. I went with Burris Extreme Tactical Rings. My scope is a Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 and I was able to use the low rings and still have enough clearance for the scope cap.

Hollywood58

Nov 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the lower profile rings will work!

Couple more questins, if the Nightforce is steel base, should I also go with steel rings? I read that the Burris signature rings don't need lapped, any truth to this?

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    http://www.mdshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=151016&stc=1&d=1444077940

http://www.mdshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=151015&stc=1&d=1444077940

with low rings usually its not the barrel clearance you need to worry about I have a varmint barrel and I could fit a 50mm objective on my gun still

but what you do have to worry about is how and where the scope fits on the rail with mine I had to grind the first few notches to clear the 42mm objective but I have the equipment to do this. but also as you can see the scope can only go so far forward also or I would have to do more grinding on the rail to fit the zoom ring.

outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter

with low rings usually its not the barrel clearance you need to worry about I have a varmint barrel and I could fit a 50mm objective on my gun still

but what you do have to worry about is how and where the scope fits on the rail with mine I had to grind the first few notches to clear the 42mm objective but I have the equipment to do this. but also as you can see the scope can only go so far forward also or I would have to do more grinding on the rail to fit the zoom ring.

Another problem that can occur, depending on your stock and the shape of your face, you can run into a problem lining your eye sight through the parallax. I have Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 on medium rise rings(Pepr) and people with full faces can't see through my scope even with the PRS cheek piece turned all the way down.

Hollywood58

Nov 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore

Great point! I heard back from Vortex and they said their low rings will clear it all. Think I will go with their rings too. Read good things about them and they have a lifetime warranty on them as well. Thanks for the help all!

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the lower profile rings will work!

Couple more questins, if the Nightforce is steel base, should I also go with steel rings? I read that the Burris signature rings don't need lapped, any truth to this?

also I lap all of my rings because a company who says that you don't need to, is also saying that the rail is perfectly straight and that the gun to rail matting surface is perfectly straight.

if the gun is off even a little this will flex the rail when torquing down making the rings off.

I lap all of my rings for this reason just to make sure that the ring to scope matting surface is perfect because you cant say that everything is perfect when you have that many variables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom