• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • travismxi

Nov 14, 2010
    I am looking for a optic for a ar-10 but dont know where to start. I still want close range acquisation like an eotech, but want to use the .308 for what it is worth at longer ranges. any ideas?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I use an Eotech with a 3x magnifier. You can easily move the magnifier out of the way for close in work.

Attachments

• SDC10066.jpg
      SDC10066.jpg
      58.9 KB · Views: 402
    May 13, 2005
    LCAN or Leupold CQ/T Mark 4 would work for what you are proposing. Leupold might be slightly underpowered in magnification, but I've shot it out to about 450 on an AR-10 with good results, didn't go out further tho.

Baumer

Jan 21, 2010
    This is how I'm trying to accomplish the same thing on my AR15. I'm still working on the build but I used a Warne RAMP mount with the offset for a mini red dot. That's a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x. I dont have the mini red dot yet but you can see the mounting location.

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
      photo-1.JPG
      36.9 KB · Views: 369

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I use the Eotech with the 3x magnifier and can accurately hit a can sized target at 200 but that is about the max range. I have also use the Trijicon ACOG 3X30 and it works well out to about 200 yards. If you really want to reach out to 600 yards your going to have to sacrifice the reflex sight for a long range scope like the Nightforce. You need something where you can crank in a lot of correction and you simply can't do that with a reflex sight.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Do you feel comfortable hitting targets at 600 yards with this set up?

Haha...I can't hit chit at 600 yards with my sightron 10x50x60mm LOL. I'm not even shooting in the 570's in F t/r....safe to say that past 100 yards, your safe if I'm shooting.

travismxi

Nov 14, 2010
    no idea why i posted this in group buys meant to be in depot. but the leupold looks nice!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    What about a vortex viper 4-16 x 50? Can even go FFP if you want? I have the viper pst 6.5-24 and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I use an Eotech 3X magnifiernw with an EXPS 3.0 HWS but that only takes you out to 200-300 yards. Beyond that you'd be better off with a Scope as above.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I'm a lot more interested in this thread now, just picked up an LR308 with a 24" barrel.

TaiChih

May 9, 2012
    Here is a little secret...
    http://swfa.com/Falcon-Menace-15-5x30-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P47586.aspx

I had a Leupold Mark 4 (3-10x) on my 3-gun AR10, but had problems engaging targets at closer range (50yds and in), and never really engaged 8" steel pie past 200 yards. The problem with Eotechs, are they are great for short to medium ranges. Shooting long range (400yd +) with an eotech involves a lot of "kentucky windage".
    Using a 3-10x scope just sucks for close range work. There is not enough field of view and you always end up "searching" for your targets. Obviously, you should choose a scope for your intended purpose. There is no one size fits all scope solution, although some have come close, like the new Leupold 1-8x scope(but, $$$$$$$)

I use the above Falcon menace scope from CQB to 500yd with no issues. It fits the bill, and it's cheap and reliable. Glass is clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom