• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TripleChris

Apr 10, 2009
    Pasadena, MD
    Looking for an alternative to the HP-38/Win-231 for .45 ACP target loads. Honestly, for no other reason than to try something new, as I am happy with the performance of the HP-38 I have been using. (other than its weird odor when fired)

Seems like there is not much out there in the way of opinions on either of these powders. Any input at all would be appreciated. Thanks.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've had good luck with VV-N320, very clean and accurate, but hard to find locally, and I only used a pound of it to try out.

My go-to powder for 45ACP, 38sp, 357mag, light 40S&W and 45colt is bullseye, kinda dirty, but accurate, plentiful and cheap.

helg

Dec 26, 2008
    According to QuickLoad, ZIP is the same as W231 with all parameters except bulk density. The W231 is bulkier.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    +1:thumbsup:

I used 4.8gr N320 with a 200gr SWC as a target load.

+2. Have used this same recipe with good results in Bullseye shooting. very accurate.

As stated by Alucard, N320 is pretty hard to find and pricy. I just use WW231, cuz it meters well and is easier to find. My loads are just as accurate, but 231 is dirtier than N320.

Baumer

Jan 21, 2010
    I didn't mention metering in my initial response but N320 meters really well in my LNL powder measure. I loaded some 9mm with 3.8grs this weekend and every measurement was nearly dead on. I'm not using a digital scale but I would say less than .05gr of deviation. W231, which I use frequently would be less than .1gr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom