• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKB

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2007
    Finksburg, MD
    you will most likely get a better deal buying locally vs. online plus it is much less hassle dealing with the transfer ect.

BTW the Glock is a good place to start, lots of parts available , and if you want to upgrade later easy to sell or cheap enough to keep & buy something else

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I say glock or cz.

Why... because I can hit everything i freakin point at.
    Both guns are very easy to shot.

Mechanically doesn't get much simpler than a glock.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    They are all good pistols, the FN is the only one I don't have much experience with. My favorite is the CZ, it fits my hand well and is very accurate and easy to shoot. The Sig feels too bulky and the Glock, well... I just don't prefer it.

I would try to get trigger time with all 4 before deciding, as the perfect pistol is personal preference to a large extent. All four you mentioned will perform reliably, and are accurate. How YOU shoot each one is most important variable.

dukie564

Pew Pew
    Apr 12, 2010
    Aberdeen, MD
    They are all good pistols, the FN is the only one I don't have much experience with. My favorite is the CZ, it fits my hand well and is very accurate and easy to shoot. The Sig feels too bulky and the Glock, well... I just don't prefer it.

I would try to get trigger time with all 4 before deciding, as the perfect pistol is personal preference to a large extent. All four you mentioned will perform reliably, and are accurate. How YOU shoot each one is most important variable.

That's what i've heard about the CZ, but i have yet to find a range that has one to try out.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I have narrowed my choices to a few options:

I'm going with a 9mm.

2. Glock G17/G19

Opinions??

Also, what is the procedure for purchasing one online and getting it shipped to an FFL? I've already taken the safety course. I've heard about the spent shell casing requirement, but what is the procedure (order of steps) which i need to follow in MD to get my handgun? Contact FFL first?

A Glock 17 or 19 would be the perfect first handgun. The 17 was my first and I still have it and compete with it.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    Welcome.

As I own none of those guns (and you didn't include G-d's own 1911) I have no suggestions to make other than see where you can rent/borrow these guns. Before shelling out the bucks make sure the fit and feel is right.

May 25, 2009
    Buy them all? :shrug:

Sig will do you good. A CPO/used gun would save you money. OR, you could do what I'm doing and buy the .22lr version which should run you 600 or so. Then use the coupon it comes with to upgrade to 9mm. Do that and you have both calibers for 200 bucks less than if you had bought the 9mm brand new by itself.

Glocks are great. Never heard a complaint about them other than the fact that they're considered ugly by some people. I personally like the no non-sense utilitarian look, but I think Hi-Points are decent looking guns. So what do I know?

The other two I don't know much about, but people seem to like their CZs.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    All are decent choices. If interested in CZ, check out the quality clones also. If interested in Glock , also check out the S&W M&Ps , and Berretta PX4 Storm .

For current production mainstream handguns little to no netsavings to order online. Support your local full service dealer on this. Read the posts, or ask us directly. Our Industrt Partners often a good starting point, but there other decent ones also.

dukie564

Pew Pew
    Apr 12, 2010
    Aberdeen, MD
    thank you all for your comments, although i think I'm still in the same place i was before decision wise. I think the real decision will come once I try them all out next to each other (although is still have no idea where i can try out a CZ...). At least i understand the process and requirements better though.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I love the CZ but all of those are good guns. You'll find more Glock supporters because there are just more Glocks out there period. The only solution is to shoot them all and take notes.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    G19 was my first handgun and is to this day my favorite. Highly recommend a glock as a 1st gun. I debated for a while re: G19 vs G17. Realistically you don't lose accuracy or gain recoil when going with the G19. That, and the G19 is a good CCW gun should you ever decide to do that, yet big enough for range use. And it just felt better than the G17. Both are wonderful guns though--you'll enjoy both.

I love glocks for their reliability and also the crap-ton of parts and after market accessories floating around EVERYWHERE.

Good luck.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I love the CZ but all of those are good guns. You'll find more Glock supporters because there are just more Glocks out there period. The only solution is to shoot them all and take notes.

There's more Glock supporters cuz Glocks work. That's all you can say about them. My first criteria for buying a new gun is that is has to run every single time. No other firearm fits that bill like a Glock. Everyone should have a G17 or G19 for SHTF type situations. I have and enjoy many other handguns but if my life is ever on the line guess what I'm gonna grab. The fact that there are so many out there and so little negative feedback speaks volumes for any product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom