• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3/2ACR Vet

Jul 6, 2012
    Baltimore City
    Title says it all, guys...

I'm looking to buy (hopefully in the near future) a carbine type rifle, and a shotgun, to go with my .45 XD in hopes of practicing up and taking part in some tactical pistol, tactical rifle, and 3 gun competitions.

I'm in the "homework doing" part of researching firearms purchases, and in my web searching, I came across pictures of a really nice looking rifle by LWRC. It was done up in a drab green finish, and just looks awesome. Now, I'm hard and fast certain that, barring a bag of hundreds falling out of the sky and landing at my feet one day, it is not realistic that I would be able to buy this rifle any time soon. The 6.8 spc round the rifle is chambered for got me interested, though. While I've done enough research on it to know it's probably what I'm going to focus on TRYING to get ahold of, reading about it just doesn't complete the picture.

Hopefully one or two of you here have some experience with 6.8 spc and can give me your impression of the performance. Is it a practical goal to shoot for getting a rifle in this caliber, or will it be prohibitive in some way, like cost or availability?

Any input is welcome, thanks in advance

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Why not cheat? Buy a good 5.56 AR and use that for now and when you get some extra $$, get a 6.8 upper. This way you can shoot the cheaper 5.56 now and compete and have fun.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    Luke 12-49 has a Spikes lower that he got in one of the group buys that I gave him a Yankee Hill 6.8 upper for. It shoots nice and gets better distance than the 223. The biggest draw back is the cost and scarcity of ammo.

mckraut

Apr 14, 2009
    Abingdon, MD
    I recently had a coworker ask me about this round and I had heard of it but didn't know hardly anything about it. So I did a little digging and found it runs about a dollar a round. That was enough for me to stay away from it.

knownalien

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD.
    my thoughts are the 5.56 is a perfectly good bullet esp when you can choose from so many options in terms of the bullet weight and format. If you want barrier penetration then go AK or .308. In whatever kind of combat one may see in the future, the one common thing is that your targets will always seek out cover. Shooting through walls is nice in theory, but you can't see the other side. The millitary has real answers to this with weapons meant to destroy walls and barriers. we don't have those. When the target is exposed, that is the time to shoot and 5.56 will do the job. "Man stoppers" is a myth.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    if you want something nifty, why not the 6.5 grendel? It quickly catches up with, then outruns the 6.8. Otherwise, the standard 5.56 will give you cheaper ammo with less recoil in more common and cheaper platforms that have more part availability if something breaks. If you're not poking out really far, or hunting...just poke the smaller and cheaper holes in the paper.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    It's a semi expensive round. It helps to reload. I tend to stick with very available calibers. Fad calibers come and go. It was 6.8, now it's .300 blk which will be gone in a few years too. Not that they're not decent rounds, they're just like bell bottoms.. adored then
    forgotten/replaced.

Also, welcome to the forum!

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    DSCF0050.jpg

Love my 6.8 build, but don't get to shoot it as much as I would like too! Ammo is expensive, but if you reload it might be the right thing for you!

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Don't do it. Specialty rounds, proprietary bolt and magazines.

The M16/AR-15 platform was designed around 5.56 NATO, and while it has been adapted to fit many other calibers, it still functions best as a 5.56 NATO rifle. I'm surprised 6.8 SPC is still relevant TBH. Unless you're a long-range hunter .300 BLK is going to be a better bet since it uses the same bolt and mags as 5.56 NATO.

If you want to be different, that's cool - but you'll have to pay to play.

3/2ACR Vet

Jul 6, 2012
    Baltimore City
    Thanks a lot, everyone!

I Appreciate the input and advice. I'll definitely be taking it, and trying to find something affordable and nice in 5.56 to shoot with.

Samuel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 12, 2012
    From my research 6.8 is a fine round if you have a use for it. It excells at hunting, home defense, and short barrelled applications. But using it for practice, competition, or plinking is kindof a waste, or at least not cost efficient. Its the kind of gun that's nice to have available when you need it but you take something else out to the range more often then not.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    And even then, if you're a long-range hunter, you'll probably be using .308 or .30-06.

You're correct, it all depends on your definition of long range. In MD I don't think I've talked to anyone that has hunted in this state and made a shot past 175 yds. I guess the correct use would be "medium" range. I was up past my bedtime so forgive me. ;)

The .308, .30-06, .300 Win Mag, etc. are definitely better long-range performers.

rml33

May 14, 2011
    Edgewater
    I own a 6.8. It's a great round. You can use the round for about anything. If you are on a budget, this would not be a good option. Mags and ammo are expensive.

ntobias

Sep 29, 2012
    I would have to go with the 5.56 in this case just due to price, however if for some reason you find that bag of money, then go with an ACR in the 6.8

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom