Opinion: Is it wise to go ahead an buy a semi-auto rifle now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    It's wise to invest some loot in MSI, NRA-ILA and SAF. It's also wise to become active in MSI and be sure to make yourself available to show up to annapolis when the judicial committee's(house n senate) have gun-bill hearing days to testify. It's also wise to find your local politicians and write them to remind them that they have gun owners as constituents.

It is unwise to spend money you cannot afford to spend on a rifle for fears it may be banned...especially if you overpay for it. It's also unwise to speculate on what an AWB or new gun restrictions will look like before you have a bill # and actual text of a proposal.

The wisest thing to do is to buy a stripped receiver or two for cheap(that you can build up later...it'd be odd if parts were banned...it'll likely be the "registered" part). And take the money you'd spend on the rest of the rifle then give it to those gun-rights groups identified above.

It's cheaper in the long run if you just work to keep them from being banned in the first place. You get the added benefit of guns NOT being banned.

NIK

Jul 31, 2012
    MD
    People have mentioned the danger of price gouging, however if it DOES go through, the price of a no-longer-imported/manufactured weapon will absolutely be much higher. I remember a couple years into the last ban, BNIB Glock hi-caps were going for $80-120 EACH. Yes, people were buying.

Feb 22, 2012
    Baltimore County
    To the original question: That depends. IF (big IF) a government agent comes to your door and demands your firearms - What will you do?

Depending upon your answer to that question (and assuming you have the training and or experience to do so), do do you have the means of defending yourself and your home and your property from a coordinated attack by highly trained, motivated, armed individuals?

If you believe strongly in 'from my cold dead hands' or 'molon labe', what do you want in your hands if such time ever comes to pass? Do you already own that device? If not, now is a good time to consider buying.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    To the original question: That depends. IF (big IF) a government agent comes to your door and demands your firearms - What will you do?

Depending upon your answer to that question (and assuming you have the training and or experience to do so), do do you have the means of defending yourself and your home and your property from a coordinated attack by highly trained, motivated, armed individuals?

If you believe strongly in 'from my cold dead hands' or 'molon labe', what do you want in your hands if such time ever comes to pass? Do you already own that device? If not, now is a good time to consider buying.

I highly doubt there are enough people to go door to door and collect the 3,000,000+ AR's much less all the other EBR's out there.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    It's wise to invest some loot in MSI, NRA-ILA and SAF. It's also wise to become active in MSI and be sure to make yourself available to show up to annapolis when the judicial committee's(house n senate) have gun-bill hearing days to testify. It's also wise to find your local politicians and write them to remind them that they have gun owners as constituents.

It is unwise to spend money you cannot afford to spend on a rifle for fears it may be banned...especially if you overpay for it. It's also unwise to speculate on what an AWB or new gun restrictions will look like before you have a bill # and actual text of a proposal.

The wisest thing to do is to buy a stripped receiver or two for cheap(that you can build up later...it'd be odd if parts were banned...it'll likely be the "registered" part). And take the money you'd spend on the rest of the rifle then give it to those gun-rights groups identified above.

It's cheaper in the long run if you just work to keep them from being banned in the first place. You get the added benefit of guns NOT being banned.

:goodpost:

People have mentioned the danger of price gouging, however if it DOES go through, the price of a no-longer-imported/manufactured weapon will absolutely be much higher. I remember a couple years into the last ban, BNIB Glock hi-caps were going for $80-120 EACH. Yes, people were buying.
    The way I'm reading Feinstein's announcement, banned but grandfathered items will not be transferrable. That means if you have 100 30 round Pmags lying around, you can't sell them -- except on the black market.

m33p

Feb 17, 2012
    I watched a guy walk into gun connection last night and buy 4 daniel defense ar15's.....I would recommend getting one now haha.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    The way I'm reading Feinstein's announcement, banned but grandfathered items will not be transferrable. That means if you have 100 30 round Pmags lying around, you can't sell them -- except on the black market.

That's what I understand they are reaching for as well. But I don't see how they could successfully ban transfers of grandfathered items... that's essentially rendering billions of dollars of private property worthless (at least on paper) and it would be likely to lose votes with that restriction in place.

It would also create a massive black market which would be completely unregulated. The exact opposite of what the antis want to accomplish. Not that they think these things through...

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    It would also create a massive black market which would be completely unregulated. The exact opposite of what the antis want to accomplish. Not that they think these things through...

That's the problem with ANY knee jerk reaction to a problem, unintended consequences. This is all about "feel good" legislation, "we didn't just sit there, we banned stuff!" That always makes it better, for the criminal element. You can't legislate sanity, common sense or good judgement. As long as humans are on this planet, some time, somewhere, one will commit a stupid, senseless, horrendous act based on the internal workings of their psyche. Regrettable, but thats the way it is and the rest of us who are responsible and have common sense and good judgement pay.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.

That's Feinstein's delusional, syphilis-fueled wet dream. IF anything comes of all of this hysteria, and is held up in a court of law (we still have some rights; for now), it will most likely resemble the original, worthless AWB.

fire_medic

Nov 16, 2008
    Calvert County
    I want to compose

I seem to get in these battles on Facebook that have me doing a face slap. That is ok there but not when I start writing my legislators. I have already written Mikulski, Cardin and Steny but want to start focusing on the state legislature. Is there a thread where I can look at language to letters written so I don't get all red in the face and spout shit that is going to set our side back.

Thanks in advance.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011

Exactly this. Recall the war on drug and the tons of narcotics that were smuggled. Just substitute drugs for a war on guns... Also, remember that after the Dunblane attack in Scotland, there was an amnesty period where the law abiding could turn in guns. However, after that point there were prosecutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom