• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PgRefugee

Jan 23, 2015
    I recently moved to the gunshine state and promptly got my CWL. Shortly after moving here, a bill to allow both campus carry and open carry was shut down by a Senate committee member even though the house approved it overwhelmingly. I absolutely support campus carry because I am a student myself, but am I a closet anti because I really don't "get" the whole open carry thing?

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I recently moved to the gunshine state and promptly got my CWL. Shortly after moving here, a bill to allow both campus carry and open carry was shut down by a Senate committee member even though the house approved it overwhelmingly. I absolutely support campus carry because I am a student myself, but am I a closet anti because I really don't "get" the whole open carry thing?

Imagine you're in the woods, and you're backpacking. You've got your Ruger Alaskan for bear deterrence. Would you rather have that 3 pound brick of steel inside of your pants covered by all of your gear, or would you rather have it on a chest holster where you can easily access it?

PgRefugee

Jan 23, 2015
    Agreed, but Florida already allows open carry while going to or from or participating in hunting, camping, and fishing.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Agreed, but Florida already allows open carry while going to or from or participating in hunting, camping, and fishing.

So what difference does it make if it's in the woods or out and about? In either circumstance, I'm carrying a firearm to protect myself.

PgRefugee

Jan 23, 2015
    Thanks for your thoughts jawn. I guess I'm allowing my own preferences to take over my reasoning. More rights is always better for sure.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Thanks for your thoughts jawn. I guess I'm allowing my own preferences to take over my reasoning. More rights is always better for sure.

I generally concur with you, on a personal level. I generally don't open carry, and never when I'm in a reasonably dense population center.

I think a lot of open carriers see themselves as 2A ambassadors in the world. I myself would rather not talk to people about what I'm carrying, but I appreciate that there are folks out there trying to normalize guns with the general population.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    The virtue of open carry ,in practice is that printing or otherwise accidently displaying a firearm does not get you a trip downtown and some expensive bills , courtesy of some leftist wing nut, and a officer who figures it's the path of least resistance and less likely to lead to bad press

Depending on how fl law is this may be a non issue..

Then again law can change and not always in our favor..

Just as I once thought constitional carry was an unnecessary overreach on our part, but, now with Scalia gone and the court more likely than not to decline to enforce Strict Scrutiny I am completed to demand open carry to prevent our opposition from, frankly , f..king with us.

Get OC if you can while you can..

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Carry how you want, but if you OC, do it like a boss.....

20160621_010645_zpsyq4qkqya.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The OP's post #6 nails the issue.

Prefering to conceal is a decision with a lot of logic behind it, and I certainly won't try to talk you out of it.

But Rights are about more than our personal preferences, or what we " can personally live with". Freedoms and choices are good even if you or I don't plan to make use of them.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    So what difference does it make if it's in the woods or out and about? In either circumstance, I'm carrying a firearm to protect myself.

You're more likely to run into crazy cat lady who'll call the police if you're OCing at the grocery store versus launching your boat in the Everglades.

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    While in Florida recently, I watched a little old lady tottering across the parking lot on her walker and she was carrying a huge Colt Python on a belt holster (hitched way up on her, damn near under her armpits) and I wondered how difficult it would be for some nogoodnik to sneak up behind her and snatch that gun away from her and haul ass. I didn't see any retention strap on the holster. I carried the entire time I was in Florida. Concealed of course.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Outside of the fact that our right to open carry is already widely recognized in almost the entire country, including 30 states that do not require a permit to do so, it offers versatility. You can comfortably carry a larger handgun, in a larger caliber, OC holsters are generally more secure with retension mechanisms and generally protect the pistol better. They offer better retension and less chance of injury in a fall, it's generally more comfortable, and allows quicker access. Legally it offers protection from BS "brandishing" charges if printing, or if a concealed pistol is inadvertently exposed. It offers convenience for those carrying while working their land, hiking or hunting when they come into town, they don't have to change guns/holsters to remain armed.

For me personally, I like the ability to carry OWB concealed under a jacket or shirt, then take my cover garment off if it's too hot. I like the ability to OC while working in the yard, and be able to walk off my property without having to carry my wallet and permit on me. Probably the thing I like most is having my right to carry recognized and lawful, and having the ability to make my own choices without some clueless burocrat dictating manadatory defense tactics to me.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I think the number of times OC;ers are reported to police is at an all time low. As stated, it's what people get used to.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Carry how you want, but if you OC, do it like a boss.....

20160621_010645_zpsyq4qkqya.jpg

Nothings says "like a boss" quite like OC'ing in a holster with no active retention.

As to the OP, I support open carry but, just like bicyclists in the road, I prefer that people not act like assholes while exercising their rights.

Good OC = carrying a firearm on you for personal protection in a manner that provides adequate retention. If you want to carry your .454 Casull with you into the everglades in a nice chest rig, be my guest. Same goes with guys wearing their BBQ guns around town.

Bad OC = carrying a firearm in an openly demonstrative and provocative manner as a visual middle finger to the rest of society. Think of those two yahoos who took their SKSs into Chipotle held across their chests at the low ready. Additionally, I'm not a huge fan of people who insist on carrying a firearm in a manner that does not allow for adequate retention (long rifle with no sling, handgun with inadequate holster, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom