• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    Hi, I am looking for input on the practicality of buying an Rem. 870 or Moss 500 with an 18.5 inch barrell and then buying a longer barrell for birds/clays. For the most part the gun would be for HD purposes but it seems to me that having the longer barrell option would be a handy way to get two applications from one solid shotgun platform. Anybody have experience with interchangable barrell guns pro or con?

Thanks,

WGS

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    No problems here with interchangeable barrels. I've seen a lot more people do it with an 870 than the Mossberg, but that's just personal experience.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    What's not to like? I have multiple multi barrel/multi cal firearms. For your shotgun you can get a cantilever scoped rifled slug barrel that will rival most rifles to 200+yds, a multichoke 24" or so barrel for all of your shotgun needs and a -20" and folding stock for HD. The ATI collapsable folder and forend will cover any use you will come up with. I have taken to fitting my guns with collapsable stocks so I can adjust to different wardrobe/shooter requirements.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    At one point you would find 500's at places like Dick's with two barrels. They would be sold before hunting season as a "preseason special". I think the makers still offer these packages.

Places like Cabela's sell extra barrels. Just be careful when getting a barrel. Certain guns can accept certain barrels, others can't. Example, if you gun only has a 2 3/4" chamber, you probably should avoid a 3" chambered barrel.

Irish Alley

Nov 27, 2011
    i got a browning with a smooth bore barrel. when i first got it i only went to turkey shoots and clays but now since i stop working at the ranges i most hunt with it, i forget the name of the choke thats in it but its riffled for slugs. but you can only shoot sabots out of it. i keep the same choke in for bird shot also the only problem i had is when i went to put a scope on it thats the first time i have missed the target but thats with the scope. the first time i shot at a deer i hit where i was aiming deer only went 20 yrd and drooped. i would of liked to get a different barrel for slugs but they are about 600 and its not much but im doing just fine with the smooth barrel

At one point you would find 500's at places like Dick's with two barrels. They would be sold before hunting season as a "preseason special". I think the makers still offer these packages.

Places like Cabela's sell extra barrels. Just be careful when getting a barrel. Certain guns can accept certain barrels, others can't. Example, if you gun only has a 2 3/4" chamber, you probably should avoid a 3" chambered barrel.

^This^. The 1st Mossy I bought had a slug barrel and a 28'' with 3 choke tubes.I then picked up an 18.5''.1 gun covers all the bases.

Bertha

Aug 15, 2011
    I have a mossberg 500 and switch the barrel out frequently. I have never had any issues.

Irish Alley

Nov 27, 2011
    my father inlaw has a rem 1100 his brother has the same gun. for deer season he swapped his brothers barrel with a cantilever scope mount with his. with no problems didnt have to adjust anything also

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have a Mossberg 500, 20" barrel for HD, 28" barrel for sporting, fixed A2 stock and pistol-grip forend, never had problems going from barrel to barrel.

I may end up getting rid of it shortly, could use the spare cash.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    If you go to Gunbroker and type in Remington 870 Combo or Mossberg 500 combo you'll probably get a few results. I got my 500 combo with 18"HD barrel, and 28" hunting barrel for a pretty decent price.

jbmabrey

Jan 27, 2008
    Wilmington, De.
    I have had both. extra barrel is a plus. If you are on the eastern shore go to smyrna sporting goods-they have 2 racks of used barrels. would probably be smart to call.

The thing that amazes me, is how much an 870 barrel costs, in relation to the price of a complete gun. This is part of the reason I've ended up with six 870's....

Last fall, I saw an 870 slug barrel - 20" , rifled, with rifle sights, at Bass Pro. It was $230. In the rack, they had an 870 - with a 20" rifled slug barrel, with rifle sights and high comb stock - for $300.

So for $70 more than the price of a barrel - basically, the price of a tank of gas, you can have a complete gun.

Maybe Mossberg has it's barrels priced more realistically, I dunno. I'm an 870 guy.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    The thing that amazes me, is how much an 870 barrel costs, in relation to the price of a complete gun. This is part of the reason I've ended up with six 870's....

Last fall, I saw an 870 slug barrel - 20" , rifled, with rifle sights, at Bass Pro. It was $230. In the rack, they had an 870 - with a 20" rifled slug barrel, with rifle sights and high comb stock - for $300.

So for $70 more than the price of a barrel - basically, the price of a tank of gas, you can have a complete gun.

Maybe Mossberg has it's barrels priced more realistically, I dunno. I'm an 870 guy.

At Cabela's the Mossberg barrels runs from $90 to $200. A little saving but not much.

gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    Am I correct in thinking that if I get an 870 or 500 with an 18.5" barrel that has ghost sights when I change out the barrel for a long barrel I will have an issue with the sight on the receiver? Has anyone worked with a long barrel and had rifle or ghost sights on the receiver? If so is it a problem?

Thanks,

WGS

gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    Right exactly my concern will the sight on the receiver be a major problem when shooting clays or birds with a bead front sight.

WGS

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I have the mossberg 500 combo with the slug barrel and 28 inch barrel. i love it. Both barrels are ported and the slug barrel is rifled. I am pretty sure but not totaly sure i seen it at walmart the other day, same combo for 275.00, which is a great price, i paid almost that for mine used but with like 50 rounds though it. at the time they were like 350 or so.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I had a screw on scope mount on my Mossy for about 5 minutes. I did interfere with using the 28" field barrel...for me anyway.
    And choosing the shorter barrel, if you want to shoot buckshot, you'll need a smoothbore barrel. The rifling will cause the shot to break up FAST. As in no hits on a 15 to 25 yard target.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Screw in chokes did not become dominate in the market until circa early '80s. Then you had different bbls in order to have different chokes ( or else a muzzle device).

To be fully equiped you would need Three bbls : Full length , fully rifled , and an 18-20in -ish smooth bore.

The above comparison is comparing full retail list of rifled bbl vs a used complete gun. For the more popular formats used bbls are common , and often close to or under $100 for smoothbores. Probably the best ( most reasonable cost) path is to purchase a combo that includes a fully rifled bbl, and search/ stumble into the "missing" smoothbore.

Alas I have also bought a complete gun for the $ I had been intending to spend for bbl alone, but that's a matter for stumbling upon a very reasonable complete gun.

And a reciever mounted rear sight will Marryu you to that sighting system. Or at least require removing and replacing it. If you are a true believer in Gost Rings on purpose , then that's that. Most factory "rifle sighted" bbls will have both sights mounted on the bbl. Mossbergs are rather basic. Rem's are similar to their open sights on rifles. Those on my Win M1300 slug Bbl (Winchoke) are quite nice.

Depending on how you compromise , a smooth bore slug bbl can pinch hit for buckshot / HD , if slug capability to 50yd , possably a bit more will fit your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom