Once And For All What's The Deal With The 19th?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    I really wish MSI or someone would once and for all provide the definitive word on the january 19th event. I've seen that we should go to the range, our favorite gun store but also that we should go the the State Capitol. Which is it? I am afraid that there is no real clear organization for the 19th. I know what the Gun Appreciation Day Site says (go to the range or your dun store) but then I see and hear all sorts of folks saying go to the Capitol. I really don't see how showing up at a range or gun store will send a message to anyone except those that already think like we do.

I am will to do all of the above but I really would like some clarity.

WGS

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    MSI isn't involved with organizing any event, either on the 19th or Feb 8th.

But, they're not discouraging anyone from attending.

"Gun Appreciation Day" is IMO more of a concept much like the Chick-fil-a day, where folks are just being encouraged to go to the range, a gun shop, something to promote the right.

Someone decided to encourage assemblies on the 19th, which became confused with the already-planned assemblies on the 8th, and may have spurred the cancellation of the Feb events.

Regardless, people should present our position in a way that does no harm, and starves the antis for talking points.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Out of nothing more than personal curiosity, is there a reason (and I'm sure there are) that msi or mDS isn't involved directly? (In the 1/19 or 2/8 events). This is in NO way a bite at either as I love MDS and am nothing more than a rookie with msi so I have zero room to cast any kind of judgement. This is simply a curiosity and nothing more. I understand clearly that we as individuals can contribute on our own and attend other gatherings at the capitol, write letters/emails, etc. I'm just asking is all.

Thanks in advance for the reply and my apologies if this was answered directly I another thread.

Ryan

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It's probably because MSI recognizes that people don't have unlimited time off, and wants to plan an event that will have maximum impact.

Mr H

Keep in mind that MDS (which really is not any different from a community center with really odd people :D) and MSI are two separate groups which happen to overlap.

MSI tries to get the best effect for its efforts, but at its core is an educational organization. Getting behind an unknown group's effort can be iffy.

mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    Unless ....WE..... as gun owners and supporters of the 2nd need to make sure ourselves that we get the correct media attention for what ever happens. Otherwise this will fizzle .

Im thinking every gun range should be having a 4th of July style PIG ROAST or BBQ. And we should make sure that not just us but our whole family attends if possible.

Mr H

Unless ....WE..... as gun owners and supporters of the 2nd need to make sure ourselves that we get the correct media attention for what ever happens. Otherwise this will fizzle .

Im thinking every gun range should be having a 4th of July style PIG ROAST or BBQ. And we should make sure that not just us but our whole family attends if possible.

I say "bull roast"... no sense seting up for an accusation of being anti Jew/Muslim... but that's a great idea.

But they should start talking about it NOW, as an expression of "freedom", and planning it thoroughly.

mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    Should we start a new thread about the possibility of the "RANGE PARTIES" .
    RANGE ROAST.
    B.Y.O.G.

IDPA shooters , Cowboy shooters . Every competitive category .

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    As mentioned, MSI is a separate entity from MDS. MDS members are free to make their own decision on either rally or both.

MSI is concentrating it's efforts on the gun legislative sessions to follow sometime in mid-to-late February, or early March.

MSI isn't discouraging it's members from attending either the Jan 19th or Feb 8th rallies should their work/personal calendars allow, but are encouraging members to come and testify during legislative hearings that are yet to be scheduled.

As the legislative schedules firm up, along with new bills, MSI will update it's members accordingly and cross-post here on MDS as appropriate in needing action and support.

mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    As mentioned, MSI is a separate entity from MDS. MDS members are free to make their own decision on either rally or both.

MSI is concentrating it's efforts on the gun legislative sessions to follow sometime in mid-to-late February, or early March.

MSI isn't discouraging it's members from attending either the Jan 19th or Feb 8th rallies should their work/personal calendars allow, but are encouraging members to come and testify during legislative hearings that are yet to be scheduled.

As the legislative schedules firm up, along with new bills, MSI will update it's members accordingly and cross-post here on MDS as appropriate in needing action and support.

You can count on me to attend at least one. I live at the beach so it will take some doing but I agree this is the time for all of us to do something.
    As long as it fall on thursdays or fridays cause that when im off work :D

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    These aren't MSI sponsored events. We need to focus our efforts on what is going to matter. What can you do?

Go to Annapolis. Have a nice lunch, walk around. Then go to the State House. Ask to speak with your elected officials. Be courteous but tell them exactly what you think of these gun bills. If we can get a few people to speak with them every day it can make a difference. If you have limited time off work, plan to be there for gun day. We need to fill the State House and overflow into the streets. Testify on gun day. If we have too many rallies we spread ourselves too thin.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Keep in mind that MDS (which really is not any different from a community center with really odd people :D) and MSI are two separate groups which happen to overlap.

MSI tries to get the best effect for its efforts, but at its core is an educational organization. Getting behind an unknown group's effort can be iffy.

Understood about the groups being separate and I agree in whole about the bolded comment...hence why I was curious about who I would really be jumping in with 2/8 or whatever. Not judging anyone, I just want to make sure if I take a day off and join an effort it is organized and with groups I know, support, and trust.

The question WE need to ask is what can I do to make it happen ?

Agreed 100%, and I AM willing/wanting to get more involved more than just financially. I do think though that knowing what you're walking into and with whom ahead of time is a good idea, hence all my questions (which again, I swear are not meant to annoy just to inform myself).

These aren't MSI sponsored events. We need to focus our efforts on what is going to matter. What can you do?
    Go to Annapolis. Have a nice lunch, walk around. Then go to the State House. Ask to speak with your elected officials. Be courteous but tell them exactly what you think of these gun bills. If we can get a few people to speak with them every day it can make a difference. If you have limited time off work, plan to be there for gun day. We need to fill the State House and overflow into the streets. Testify on gun day. If we have too many rallies we spread ourselves too thin.

I guess that is what I was trying to figure out, if there were sponsored events with the two orgs I support I would want to start there just to get my feet wet as I'm sure others trying to be more involved would want to do. I'm not afraid to go anywhere and talk to reps and I can carry myself just fine, I am really just trying not to trip over the furniture (if you get my drift) as a newb trying to get more involved. :o:thumbsup:

Anyway, I now understand MSI and MDS are not involved with either 1/19 or 2/8 events, and that there are hearings/GA dates coming out in the near future and I will get involved as much as I possibly can.

Thanks for the info everyone :):thumbsup:

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    MSI can't really sponsor a rally that we had no input on or control over.

Honestly, at this point, we need to take from the playbook of gay rights.

Gay rights people in Maryland were so successful because they packed the committee hearings. I saw reports that the hearings went from 1pm to past 11pm.

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    Hey all

I just had a decent exchange with Heather Cocolin. She's the person coordinating the rally on the 19th. She was completely unaware of the rally on the 8th and indicated that she didnt hear from anyone on MDS, nor did she hear anything about the 8th at the Timonium gun show.

That's neither here not there at this point.

I think she understand the concern that the rally (both of them really) were created in a vacuum without input from MDS or MSI. She has sent out several 1000 flyers already. i thanked her for her effort and encouraged her to join us so we can all be on the same page.

In light of the somewhat convoluted circumstances she made the suggestion that we use the 19th as a warm up rally to get more momentum for the 8th. I think that makes the best of the situation all things considered

Depending on how things go perhaps we can pool our recourses with these two Facebook groups and do something MSI sponsored later in feb or march - particularly as we learn more about these bills. We really need few thousand members to descend on Annapolis. It's never been more important.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Hey all

I just had a decent exchange with Heather Cocolin. She's the person coordinating the rally on the 19th. She was completely unaware of the rally on the 8th and indicated that she didnt hear from anyone on MDS, nor did she hear anything about the 8th at the Timonium gun show.

That's neither here not there at this point.

I think she understand the concern that the rally (both of them really) were created in a vacuum without input from MDS or MSI. She has sent out several 1000 flyers already. i thanked her for her effort and encouraged her to join us so we can all be on the same page.

In light of the somewhat convoluted circumstances she made the suggestion that we use the 19th as a warm up rally to get more momentum for the 8th. I think that makes the best of the situation all things considered

Depending on how things go perhaps we can pool our recourses with these two Facebook groups and do something MSI sponsored later in feb or march - particularly as we learn more about these bills. We really need few thousand members to descend on Annapolis. It's never been more important.

You're right. It is also important to note that the time when we need everybody is on the day they are hearing the bill. We need to pack the place. We need to keep them there late. They need to hear that if they vote for a gun ban, they will not have our votes come next election.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I say "bull roast"... no sense seting up for an accusation of being anti Jew/Muslim... but that's a great idea.

But they should start talking about it NOW, as an expression of "freedom", and planning it thoroughly.

Way to be anti Hindu! JK

I'm still confused. Did someone call off the one for 2/8? I still intend on bringing the UMD group to Annapolis on that day.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The 19th is a rah-rah feel-good exercise, ideally to broaden public awareness for the 8th. The 8th in front of the state house during legislative session is what matters.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom