• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I have only had a bad experience one time at on target. Some idiot at least 2 lanes over shot through my target while I was reloading. I couldn't believe it at first, but I brought back my fresh target and there it was a hole in the right side of the paper. I just packed up and went home. I told the girl at checkout and she asked if I knew who shot it. I didn't and she just shrugged.

That back in February. I haven't really had any problems since.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena

Attachments

• MDSindoorrange.jpg
      MDSindoorrange.jpg
      22.9 KB · Views: 319

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    +4 Yes you really will like a .357 lever gun:

ok, so 1- My Rossi is way way more accurate than that. This is a pretty bad example video. Offhand from 15 yards you should be able to hit a zombie in the eyesocket every. single. time. but 2-I use the cheapest .357 on the internet. Clearly this man is overpaying for ammo with TwO CapiTal LetteRs. The only thing I would change on my Rossi is the cheap rear sight.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I recall somthing about first timers , by themselves , and rental guns.

But meanwhile , .357 lever guns are good.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I have only had a bad experience one time at on target. Some idiot at least 2 lanes over shot through my target while I was reloading. I couldn't believe it at first, but I brought back my fresh target and there it was a hole in the right side of the paper. I just packed up and went home. I told the girl at checkout and she asked if I knew who shot it. I didn't and she just shrugged.

That back in February. I haven't really had any problems since.

I'd stay away from On Target. They do not monitor the firing line and it's not a safe place to shoot. I stopped going there years ago. It's a wonder they are still allowed to conduct live fire...that place is an accident waiting to happen!

Lew--Ranger63

Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    I'd stay away from On Target. They do not monitor the firing line and it's not a safe place to shoot. I stopped going there years ago. It's a wonder they are still allowed to conduct live fire...that place is an accident waiting to happen!

Lew--Ranger63

Really ...So 20 plus years and still going ... hmm seems likes its a safe place to shoot .. Just seems you have it in for the place ..

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I love the "I'm scared to go to On Target" people. Seriously, I saw a 9mm AR for sale there last week a d thought that was cool. Makes sense now that they are renting them.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I love the "I'm scared to go to On Target" people. Seriously, I saw a 9mm AR for sale there last week a d thought that was cool. Makes sense now that they are renting them.

:omg:

Seriously, I am actually glad to see pistol-caliber rifles coming back in style. I think that they are hugely underrated and immensely practical (especially carbines).

MarylandWillWin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 23, 2015
    Baltimore
    Hope they'll eventually include a .357 lever gun. Been wanting to test drive one to see if I really want it.

Me also, except in this case, its more feverish and less prolonged. I am currently resisting the urge to get one as my first fire-arm.

I can easily answer your question. yes, yes you do.
    A .357 lever gun that can also shoot 38spl, yes you want it.

But posts like this aren't helping me resist...

I'm having a hankering to try out that 9mm AR . OT is far enough from my home turf , I haven't shot there before. Refresh me about their anti- first timer rules and hoops.

As someone who tried to go there for his first shoot ~10 days ago, their rules are that individuals who do not have their own fire-arm must have someone else who has a fire-arm with them. Its not on the website. There is a little more narrative (and rambling) here

I recall somthing about first timers , by themselves , and rental guns.

But meanwhile , .357 lever guns are good.

Your recollection is good.

:omg:

Seriously, I am actually glad to see pistol-caliber rifles coming back in style. I think that they are hugely underrated and immensely practical (especially carbines).

Does anyone have anything bad to say about 357/38 special lever guns? pistol-caliber carbines do seem immensely practical and I've researched them as hard as a man with a keyboard can over the last few weeks. They seem to be a hoot, relatively easy to operate and succeed with AND operable indoors.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Really ...So 20 plus years and still going ... hmm seems likes its a safe place to shoot .. Just seems you have it in for the place ..

Yep, I've got it in for any range operation that does not monitor the line with a range safety officer. Been around the shooting sports and a multitude of ranges since 1952 and never witnessed a firing line as loosely run as On Target.

Lew--Ranger63

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    And still unable to discover major negatives...

If there are any, I have not found any. I think if you ask people, there are small plusses and minuses to specific models (eg Rossi vs Uberti vs Marlin vs Henry). I would only change two minor things on my Rossi (feed gate needs a lot of break-in, and an upgrade to the sights).

I see people at the range now with 9mm and .40SW semi-auto rifles as well. Also good choices. I think to some degree it comes down to personal preference and what you plan to use it for.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OK, if a primary purpose of your proposed .38/.357 lever gun is deer(-ish) hunting, you must be careful in selecting (jacketed) bullets that will perform properly at rifle velocities.

Not specific to .38/.357 per se, but leverguns generally are sensitive to COL ( ctg overall length ) and bullet nose shape.

Not a lot to gripe about, but since you asked, that's about the extent of any "shortcomings" , that are really more of idosyncracies.

MarylandWillWin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 23, 2015
    Baltimore
    If there are any, I have not found any. I think if you ask people, there are small plusses and minuses to specific models (eg Rossi vs Uberti vs Marlin vs Henry). I would only change two minor things on my Rossi (feed gate needs a lot of break-in, and an upgrade to the sights).

I see people at the range now with 9mm and .40SW semi-auto rifles as well. Also good choices. I think to some degree it comes down to personal preference and what you plan to use it for.

What .40SW (or 10mm) semi-autos have you seen? I know theres Kel-Tec, Hi-Point and the Mech-Tech CCUs. Anything else in those calibers I might have missed?

OK, if a primary purpose of your proposed .38/.357 lever gun is deer(-ish) hunting, you must be careful in selecting (jacketed) bullets that will perform properly at rifle velocities.

Not specific to .38/.357 per se, but leverguns generally are sensitive to COL ( ctg overall length ) and bullet nose shape.

Not a lot to gripe about, but since you asked, that's about the extent of any "shortcomings" , that are really more of idosyncracies.

My personal primary purposes are fun! And yes, those minor issues seem to really pale in comparison to complaints about other platforms and actions. Can't wait to get my hands on some!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom