• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Federal law supersedes state law. Part of the reason LEOSA was passed was to trump those states that restricted officers form other states form carrying.

If you have a police retired ID that indicates "Retired in Good Standing," and a LEOSA card indicating you passed yearly qualification, you are good for all 50 states period.

In MD, MSP will give officers retired in good standing, who make a timely application after retirement a free, non-restricted handgun permit. The only real benefits are you don't have to qualify and it is free, but it is only good in MD.

If you have LEOSA certification, you don't need a MD handgun permit.

If your agency won't do LEOSA certifications, (mine would not for fear of lawsuits....idiots) you can go to the Training Commission in Sykesville and get what you need of $50. You have to make a reservation, and they do the class once a month.

PG Community College also does it, but it is pricey, $125 if you don't live in-county.

My friend is a retired LEO moving to FL in Sept so he won't be able to qualify at his old agency. What does he do? As of right now he never got his LEOSA only a MD CCW which he can't use traveling theu the Carolinas.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    All these statements are largely correct:

I am a retired DC LEO that has always lived in MD. My understanding is that I can concealed carry in ALL 50 states under LEOSA (HR218) as long as I qualify once a year and carry picture retired ID issued by my former department. I usually qualify in PGCo. This is what the instructors teach us every year. I also have a MD carry with no restrictions except where prohibited such as airports and courts. The amended LEOSA (2007) even specifies that I can carry hollow points in NJ since that had been my duty issued ammo.

...The "sate laws notwithstanding" caveat means:

Carry is still permitted, the exceptions only deal with certain establishments, bars, private clubs etc, and local government property.

Carry, in general is permitted, as in the sate cannot say that a LEOSA certified person cannot carry within the state.

If you are talking about:

"shall not be construed to supersede or limit the rules, regulations, policies, or practices of any State or local law enforcement agency"

This amendment was opposed by the sponsors of the bill, and was rejected by the Committee 21-11, so the enacted law contains no such exception.

Any LEO (must have statutory powers of arrest for ANY crime; be authorized by their department to use a firearm; have their valid departmental I.D. card; have qualified with a the type of firearm they carry within the previous 12 months) can carry on or off duty throughout the U.S., D.C., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Guam, WITHOUT a permit. Just don't go to a K-12 school, try to board a plane while carrying (common carrier vessel) or go into a federal building and you are fine.

Only some states have LEOSA I.D. cards for retirees. Actively employed should follow the above info.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    My friend is a retired LEO moving to FL in Sept so he won't be able to qualify at his old agency. What does he do? As of right now he never got his LEOSA only a MD CCW which he can't use traveling theu the Carolinas.

Mt friend had the same problem. He left his dept (didn't retire but left on positive terms) and meets the service requirement for hr218 and no FL Dept would qualify him. He has to fly back to MD for his annual qualifications. Quite a pain in the arse and expensive.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Mt friend had the same problem. He left his dept (didn't retire but left on positive terms) and meets the service requirement for hr218 and no FL Dept would qualify him. He has to fly back to MD for his annual qualifications. Quite a pain in the arse and expensive.

I wonder if they would if he had his LEOSA. I keep telling my friend to get his before he moves. On the other hand it's a breeze to get a CC permit in FL but I wouldn't be satisfied. I'd have gotten mine day one.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Unfortunately, most states won't certify you once you move. The Maryland Police Training Commission requires you to have a MD drivers license or proof of state residency to be certified/re-certified under LEOSA by them.

Part of the problem is Chiefs and Administrators are largely political appointees (Read-political stooges) who don't like LEOSA in the first place, so they throw up barriers wherever they can.

kprtyk

kprtyk
    Feb 12, 2015
    Baltimore, Md
    Md Leosa card

In the process of obtaining a Leosa card from Md State Police. I was a police officer in Md and am retired ( not Md State Police ). When I get my card can I carry my weapon in all states even though I am retired?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    In the process of obtaining a Leosa card from Md State Police. I was a police officer in Md and am retired ( not Md State Police ). When I get my card can I carry my weapon in all states even though I am retired?

That is what the LEOSA is meant for, so active, retired, and qualified separated credentialed LEOs may carry throughout the US.

Did you read any of the LEOSA law?

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member

I may be wrong but I think MSP will only give LEOSA credentials to former MSP. I think you will need to go to your former department for actual LEOSA creds. I spoke to MSP a year or so ago and was told that if you qualify for LEOSA it had to come from your department and that they (MSP) would not provide a permit to you as a former LEO. This info is a year old and I ended up with LEOSA from my department so in the end it didn't matter what MSP would or would not do. Good luck!

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member

Just a heads up, contacted MSP today. You must be MSP or Md. State Fire Marshal to have LEOSA credentials issued by MSP. This info is also in the MSP web site under the Law Enforcement section. Just click on the left side under LEOSA for the information. Spoke to a nice lady who said (at least in Md.) you must get LEOSA credentials from your former department. Hope this saves you some time. Your going to get a 926C card as a retired officer.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Perhaps there is confusion over the term " LEOSA Card " . A retired Credential and a current Qualification are different things.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Unfortunately, most states won't certify you once you move. The Maryland Police Training Commission requires you to have a MD drivers license or proof of state residency to be certified/re-certified under LEOSA by them.

Part of the problem is Chiefs and Administrators are largely political appointees (Read-political stooges) who don't like LEOSA in the first place, so they throw up barriers wherever they can.

This. While I do thank them for some of the work they have done on this, the Training Commission has also botched some of the qualifications part. Maybe not their fault though, could be direction from above, I dunno. They have for instance, gone so far as to tell people that if they had any open internal when they retired, even a minor rudeness complaint, that they are not "retired in good standing" and can't carry under a LEOSA card. I think it's clear that retired in good standing in that bill means not-suspended, but the state keeps writing things in.

They also will not allow any retired officer who has ever been in psych counseling, ever, to qualify on their range. Even the guy who was in a departmental shooting twenty years ago and went to the department psychiatrist once or twice and was fine forever after is excluded under their application process. Great way to further convince active duty officers to not get help if they need it.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Any LEO (must have statutory powers of arrest for ANY crime; be authorized by their department to use a firearm; have their valid departmental I.D. card; have qualified with a the type of firearm they carry within the previous 12 months) can carry on or off duty throughout the U.S., D.C., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Guam, WITHOUT a permit. Just don't go to a K-12 school, try to board a plane while carrying (common carrier vessel) or go into a federal building and you are fine.

Only some states have LEOSA I.D. cards for retirees. Actively employed should follow the above info.
    How do Federal Correctional officers fall into that? I know they are covered under LEOSA but not sure about any type of arrest powers.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    How do Federal Correctional officers fall into that? I know they are covered under LEOSA but not sure about any type of arrest powers.

They don't have powers of arrest under Title 18. They are not considered leo's. Not sure how you can say you're covered under it but not sure.
    This is an easy question to tell if you are a federal leo.... can you carry off duty? Can you carry if you were to fly commercial?

I'm pretty sure you cannot and therefore are not a federal law enforcement officer.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    They don't have powers of arrest under Title 18. They are not considered leo's. Not sure how you can say you're covered under it but not sure.
    This is an easy question to tell if you are a federal leo.... can you carry off duty? Can you carry if you were to fly commercial?

I'm pretty sure you cannot and therefore are not a federal law enforcement officer.

DOJ considers them law enforcement officers, even under LEOSA as mentioned in the memos from the Director of the BOP (pages 1-8), and the US Attorney General (starts at Page 9):

http://handgunlaw.us/documents/FBOP-LEOSAMemo.pdf

And they do have powers of arrest under Title 18:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/3050

Most BOP employees are also covered under 6(c) retirement as well.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth

I'm not a Federal Correctional officer but have friends who are. I Googled it and according to a 22 page document on handgunlaws.us, BOP officers ARE covered under LEOSA. I don't know. I work for the state and have to qualify every year per COMAR and I'm not covered under LEOSA.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads