• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pumperp5

Feb 19, 2010
    Upperco
    So I'm diggin thru my dads gun cabnet last week and I get out his old rifle that I knew was there but never shot it. It's a Remington 740 Woodsmaster semi - auto, magazine fed in 30-06. Five digit serial #, clear barrel markings. This thing was made in 1955, the first year for the 740. This thing is beautiful. No rust, wood is near perfect, the sights are clean (yes, open sights. awesome!), the recoil pad is a little dry rotted. This gun looks like its never been fired. The remorse for not shooting this earlier starts setting in, but thats another day. What a cool rifle! I'm stoked now. Then the cool part of the story starts. My dad tells me the story of how he got it. :thumbsup:

Dad bought the gun brand new in 1957. He thinks that he only shot +/- 20 rounds thru it. He thinks he paid around $50 for it. Big bucks back then. Then in 1958 he gets drafted to the U.S. Army and shipped to Korea for 2 years. While at war he finds out that his parents are struggling with the farm back home. He writes his buddy and tells him to sell it and give the $$$ to his parents. No prob, done deal! His new gun is gone forever. He finds out that when he gets home from Korea, His buddy had held on to the gun and gave my grand parents the money. His buddy hands dad his rifle and tells him, "welcome home pal", heres my gift to you. Needless to say they are still great friends today. Dad said he shot it only a few times after that, 8 rounds max in circa 1961. She's been cabinet bound ever since. He still has a box of ammo from the late 50's.

So last week I bring it home to clean it up a bit so I can shoot it. After a lenghty breakdown procedure I find that this thing is near new contition inside as well as outside. Saturday comes and off to the range I go. I lay her down on the sandbags, line up the open sights to the 100 yard target, and squeeze one off. Wow, 1/2" high and right of center bullseye. The next 7 shots show me a max group of 3 1/4". This is 1 old piece that will never have a scope mounted to her. Ohh I am one happy camper! Crisp trigger, fairly low recoil, and dead **** accurate. I am in love! This thing is sweet. Moral of the story boys & girls, dont ever be affraid to get those old guns out and play with them.

4-14-10 017.jpg

4-14-10 003.jpg

4-14-10 010.jpg

Ran out of targets, had to use paper plates. :innocent0
    4-19-10 003.jpg

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Sweet!

I have a 3-9x scope on my (1990's) Remington 7400, and it doesn't group that well.

What ammo were you shooting, BTW?

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Some people bash on 740's and honestly, I don't know why. My main deer gun is a 740, and I've never had an issue with it. The neat thing, is in 30-06 it cycles perfectly with M-2 ball ammo also. I have a bushnell 3-9x40 mounted on it, and haven't shot mine with open sights.
    They are good guns, IMHO

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I really like the old 740's and 760's. I always wished there was a good reason for me to buy a 740 but alas, PA does not like semi auto for hunting.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    For Marylanders, the 740 is another good option - its not a regulated firearm :)
    You can hunt with a semi in MD, as long as you only have 8 shots loaded - I suspect at one point the 8 shot thing was put in to accommodate Garands.
    I haven't had the greatest of luck with aftermarket mags in the 740, so I usually stick to the stock 4 round mag.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Makes me wish I had bought my dad's old Savage model 170 off him. They weren't great guns and nobody really liked pump .30-30's but that thing was a great shooter.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Yes the Remington semi autos are almost forgotten. I picked up a 7400 for $350 at wal mart added a Knoxx opstock 8-32 scope on Millet see through bases so I can use the sights out to 100yds of so the top plex is at 100yds the crosshair is 500yd and the bottom plex about 850yds. mine seems to keep about 1 1/4 min with wal mart ammo

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom