• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    ....the mountain in VA, not your mother-in-law. Did the hike last weekend, its about 10 miles total and the summit is 3200 feet. The rock scramble was a little challenging, a few boulders were a little tricky to navigate but as long as you take your time its not bad. Camped in Shenandoah park, about a 30 mile drive from there to the trailhead. It could be done as a day trip from DC, but relaxing at a campsite afterwards is nice. Saw some wildlife in the park, including 8 bears total which is a new record for one of our camp outs. At the Elk Wallow wayside, there was a sow with 3 cubs in an apple tree right by the parking area near the store. All the people and cameras didn't seem to bother them much at all.

Attachments

• P1010013.jpg
      P1010013.jpg
      37.5 KB · Views: 225
    • IMG_1353.jpg
      IMG_1353.jpg
      193.6 KB · Views: 231

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    NICE! Beatiful pics!
    Next time, after you post the 1st pic, hit Enter one or twice
    to space and define the pics even better than they are now!

Post some more! (see what I did there?)

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    Nice. Did that trip years ago. Do they still have the book at the top for people to sign?

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I did the day trip many years ago and hiked back down using the much longer, flatter route.

I remember a family who did the hike with one small water bottle per person. At the top, the dad was saying loudly, "I wish we had more water." Unfortunately, my ex didn't want me to share what we had remaining for the trip down.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    NICE! Beatiful pics!
    Next time, after you post the 1st pic, hit Enter one or twice
    to space and define the pics even better than they are now!

That doesn't work with attachments, they always appear at the end of your post after all of your text.

Lanceman_1

Jul 14, 2011
    My family lived on old rag mountain for many a generation. Did you make it thru Weakley Hollar ?

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    I remember a family who did the hike with one small water bottle per person. At the top, the dad was saying loudly, "I wish we had more water." Unfortunately, my ex didn't want me to share what we had remaining for the trip down.

Those kind of people always amaze me. I used to spend most of my weekends in college hiking on and around the AT in SW Virginia and there were so many morons that would go on a 7 mile hike, or more, with one of those tiny, miniature deer park bottles... or worse, a cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee. WTH?

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Yeh it was a warm humid day and I was glad I had the backpack with plenty of fluids. I froze a couple of bottles of Gatorade, and by the time we got to the top they were getting slushy and it was awesome with some cookies and M&Ms at the summit.

To answer a couple other questions...We didn't see a book up there for signing, didn't see one last year either. We took the longer but less difficult backway down, lots of people taking the rock scramble up so it would have been like trying to go against the tide on the way down. I don't remember Weakly Hollow signs, not sure if we went through there or not.

Those kind of people always amaze me. I used to spend most of my weekends in college hiking on and around the AT in SW Virginia and there were so many morons that would go on a 7 mile hike, or more, with one of those tiny, miniature deer park bottles... or worse, a cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee. WTH?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom