• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    Always in over my head! :lol: I got a set of handguards from Century to help my parts count on a Yugo. Lower handguard :thumbsup:. Upper looks interesting to say the least. The current wood is set in place with varies tabs and such.

Anyone ever get these things apart? Suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Yep,

Get a crescent wrench to remove the upper hand guard. Remove the gas tube from the rifle, place the crescent wrench at the base of the gas tube, firmly grasp the wood and rotate 180 degrees. The hand guard will fall off.

For the lower hand guard wood, you will notice a little lever toward the front, flip the lever up, push the retaining plate forward (sometimes this can be rough, I use an amorers hammer to tap it forward). Pull the lower hand guard free, sometime a little leverage on the between the wood and the receiver is needed.

Hope this helps.
    :thumbsup:

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    As Inigoes said, the upper handguard rotates 180 degrees around the gas tube for removal. Sometimes they are very tight, especially if there is any corrosion on the metal. A good dousing of penetrating liquid might help if it's not moving.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    Thanks for the help with the suggestions. It's been awhile since I've been on-line. I'll do the 'rotation' bit.

I had the lower traded out but now I don't know that I like the feel of it. We'll see if it grows on me.

Thanks again. It's kind of 'lonely' since I only get to the library now and again to be in touch with the 'community'. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom