Official February 6th day of event thread.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Just got this email from Dwyer:

Dear Second Amendment Defender!

You showed up in droves yesterday! Thank you! We estimate that there were 3- 4 THOUSAND of you wall to wall in Lawyers Mall and in the Miller Senate Building. You stayed all day and stood in the cold or in line to testify.

You numbered so many that they had to close the building for safety reasons at the request of DGS Police and State Police because of the fire code capacity.

This has never happened in Annapolis! And you all did it!

I want to assure each of you that came and signed in but was not able to speak- your name is recorded and entered in the record as opposing this legislation. Please do not go away with the thought that because you couldn’t testify, your voice was not heard, or that your time was wasted. More than individual testimony, it was critically important that you show up in solid numbers, you did and your voice was heard!

I will call on you again- this is not a one day fight, but an ongoing battle. These bills and many others will be heard in the House of Delegates and I will contact you when the date of the hearing is announced. We need each of you to come back and bring more people. We can show them that we won’t back down defending our civil rights.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    That was certainly the case in the main hearing room, but the overflow rooms were a bit more relaxed and that is where the applause was coming from. Absolutely no disturbance to the hearing room.
    I do recall one round of applause in the hearing room and Frosh did gavel it back to order. I'm guessing they were surprised there was not more of it.

I may have been confused by an earlier posts as to which was which. :)

Bono

Jan 8, 2013
    I just heard from my friend in Annapolis that Frosh, the Senate President, and other dems are criticizing the large turnout yesterday. They are blaming the large turnout on a "misleading" robocall.

KD999

Dec 18, 2012
    Virginia
    You know what, everybody says that February 6th was a great day for the 2nd Amendment. Me, I don't really see it that way. Just the fact that February 6th was necessary is a problem as far as I am concerned. Now, if we were all out shooting somewhere on February 6th, then it would have been a great day. It utterly sucks that I have to put forth as much effort as I am putting forth to protect the 2nd Amendment, but I believe there is a saying in this regard, "some things are worth fighting for".

FYI - I am the blur of a guy in one of Smokey's pics that is carrying a USPS box. I was in a hurry to get to the Judicial Committee Proceedings room to file my written testimony that was 6 pages of analysis with several exhibits attached. Took me two days to pull it all together. Probably a waste of my time and it will never get read, but at least I can say I put forth the best effort I could.
    I say this because unlike other issues that people in MD complain about and do nothing to change, people showed up yesterday and took action. Prepared. As I can only react to what has happened and not what will happen, I looked at yesterday as the beginning of this fight--understanding that if its not worth fighting for, it isn't worth having. If there was no turnout, that would have been a not-so-great day. I came away encouraged and energized when the exact opposite could have been the case. It was cool to be able to show my son how you can have a voice and tell your elected officials that you don't approve of the job they are doing representing you.

If you have that written testimony in an electronic format, why not distribute it to media and other legislators so you won't feel that it may not get enough eyes on it?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I just heard from my friend in Annapolis that Frosh, the Senate President, and other dems are criticizing the large turnout yesterday. They are blaming the large turnout on a "misleading" robocall.
    Wow. 1500-3000 people turned up on a workday for a robocall? He only wishes the Brady campaign could pull a stunt like that.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    GREAT turnout. Great day.
    I was able to turn in my written testimony before the 12 noon deadline, but was not able to actually testify, unfortunately.

I did also get to meet a few fellow MDSers, like Bob from Bollinger's Gunsmithing (who did me a huge favor by holding onto my knife while I went in the Senate building - thanks again Bob), and WeaponsCollector, amongst others who's usernames I forgot.

Great feeling being among so many liberty loving people. The only thing that could have made it better would have been Lemonade and Funnel Cakes.

I now feel less pessimistic and re-energized to continue with the calls and letters. I'll definitely be at the next rally and any others that follow.

A favorite part for me was when they closed the Senate building and there were still several hundred folks outside. For about a minute, the infowars guy had everyone chanting " O'Malley's Gotta Go!, O'Malley's Gotta Go! ". It got LOUD and there were some open windows in the Senate building and the House building across the street. Must have been an surprise for those legislators in those buildings the hear that...

My only regret is that I didn't get to stand at a urinal in the mens room next to Frosh. If I did, I would have pulled a Cheech Marin and p1ssed on his pant leg - that would have made my year.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I have wished for this kind of turn out when MSI was asking for the right to conceal carry at Open Holster Rallies and on gun day in Annapolis. This momentum has built up now and once we put a good dent in SB281 and HB294 we will carry this over to get our way, instead of being reactive. The beginning is finally here! The people are listening and taking action.

Yesterday was so inspiring! Who was outside the Senate yesterday when that trucker rode by twice and yanked the cord to this air horn? How great was that?

I can hardly wait for what the future brings to the 2nd Amendment movement in Maryland.

Thanks to all who knew we needed you now and in the future!

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I have wished for this kind of turn out when MSI was asking for the right to conceal carry at Open Holster Rallies and on gun day in Annapolis. This momentum has built up now and once we put a good dent in SB281 and HB294 we will carry this over to get our way, instead of being reactive. The beginning is finally here! The people are listening and taking action.

Yesterday was so inspiring! Who was outside the Senate yesterday when that trucker rode by twice and yanked the cord to this air horn? How great was that?

I can hardly wait for what the future brings to the 2nd Amendment movement in Maryland.

A new standard has been set to which all following rallies/hearings will be compared. Let this not be a one time wonder; that's exactly what the grabbers hope will be the case. Show them that this was just the beginning.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    Got to Annapolis around 7:30am yesterday and was able to get one of the 9 hour parking spaces on King George Street (thanks Norton!) Got to the office of my Senator (Getty - on the SJP Committee and he opposes SB281) around 8:00 am (building didn't open to the public until then and there were a good 15 people online already) and met with his admin.

Signed up to testify shortly after sign-ups began at 9:00am. There were 7 people ahead of me to sign up. I then turned in my written testimony. After signing up, I went to the House building and met with my Reps, Ready and Stocksdale, both very pro 2A. Stocksdale's admin told me the Organ Donor bill has been withdrawn.

Walked around the capitol grounds and then went to the rally point from 11 to 12. Great crowd, great people and for the most part little trash if any. I kind of didn't like the 'Adolph O'Malley' sign, but oh well.

Went back to the Senate buliding to get on line for the doors opening at 12:45 and was behind the same people who signed up at 9:00am. They moved a lot of people into the lobby area of the SJPC room and when the doors opened, it was a free-for-all. Though I signed up early, I had to go to the overflow room.

I thought my head would explode listening to O'Malley, Brown and Balt Co State's Attorney Schellenburger. Sat through several rotations of 'support' and 'oppose' testimony, was glad to hear Patrick speak. :thumbsup:

I had to leave soon after and don't know if I was ever called to speak. I doubt it.

As has been posted many times, we did well yesterday but still have a fight ahead of us.

I was glad to have seen Boxcab, Minuteman, Lou45, BigCity and Boondock Saint yesterday.

Wow, that sounds like you had a good plan. Can we get people to offer to be designated tour guides for the different counties to make this a better learning experience for newbies?

Feb 20, 2008
    Baltimore City
    The turnout yesterday was awesome. I brought along my wife and a co-worker. This was the first rally for all of us. I definitely wanted to attend after missing the Jan 19 event and seeing the video of it. It was absolutely worth making the time to go. I'm already planning on being there on March 5, and plan to bring others with me if possible. Let's make them close the Senate building again!

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.

Yes, this was no open holster rally. This was the real deal, awesome and awe inspiring. I hope this is foreshadowing of things to come. They have kicked the hornets' nest.

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    I attended both the Annapolis rally and the Montgomery Co town hall meeting. What I learned at both scared me. Some of what I saw was good and some of it was not good. This is my first time getting involved in an issue. It is an eye opener!
    In Annapolis I was not able to testify. That sucked! I was able to attend the rally and sign in as opposed to the bill on the official record. I was able to learn where to go next time a call to action is needed! I also signed the petition that was passed around on the assault clipboards. I spoke to a lot of people. One thing that I found very interesting is that there were several Democrats (Obama supporters) in attendance that were there to voice their opposition to this bill as well. I spoke to a few. I am lucky to have been a part of history in Annapolis.
    The Montgomery Co Town Hall Meeting was a bit of a joke. I was severely disappointed! It seemed to be about 1/3 anti 2A and 2/3 Pro 2A in the audience. The Lt. Governor lied to everyone in the room about what was in the bill. His panel of experts that answered our questions were all unfamiliar with the bill. I asked several of them (after the meeting was over) if they had read these bills in their entirety. They all answered “no”. The Montgomery Co. Sheriff even told me that he had not read any part of the bill. I found this completely and totally unacceptable.
    Ike Leggett got very agitated when a pro 2A supporter spoke to non-compliance. Leggett asked the man “Who are you to choose to disobey? It is not for you to make that decision. We must follow the law.” He went on to talk about the process to change laws that you don’t like. I guess; to Ike that Rosa Parks and Dr. Martin Luther King were nothing more than common criminals that should not have had a voice! He should be ashamed of himself! I was not called upon to reply to his shameful question and hateful remarks. I would have let him know that I do have a choice and a duty (as a free man/ citizen) to disobey any and all unjust or morally corrupt laws! I would have reminded everyone in the room that had a badge or is a public servant that I am not subject to them nor am I accountable to them. It is they who work for and are accountable to us!
    I took the time to talk to several of the Anti-2A people that took the time to come out. We had very civil discussions about the issues. I also asked each of them if they had read the bill. They all also answered “no”. I gave each of them the information on where they could find the bills to read. I tried to educate them on what the bill is and how it will affect all of us. Most were receptive to what I had to say. They all thought that it was a “Safety Act” I had a copy of part of the bill that seeks to ban some safety devices and accessories. I shared that with all that claimed to oppose the 2A. They all seemed a bit shocked. One actually told me that she felt mislead and lied to. My reply to here was “you have been”.
    I will continue to do my part. Thank you to all that showed up. Thank you to all that support this effort that could not make it out this time. Thank you to all for including me. Thank you.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA

I think it's a case of the Open Holster Rallies were pushing for something that just didn't seem as important to as many people. There's also a difference in fighting against a bill that will take away rights and fighting for a bill that will recognize more rights. If the Open Holster Rallies and associated bills don't work it just means we're stuck with the same laws we have now. If yesterday doesn't work, we will lose the right to purchase new versions of a lot of the firearms and components we own (or want to own) right now.

Plus, the wave of anti-gun bills/laws, especially the NY one, sweeping the blue states has pulled a lot of folks off the sofa and into the fight. And I admit I'm one. Yesterday was my first trip to a political rally, but I realize how serious the conditions are right now.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I still say, contact your senator to have Frosh reprimanded and admonished for cutting off the majority voice.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I attended both the Annapolis rally and the Montgomery Co town hall meeting. What I learned at both scared me. Some of what I saw was good and some of it was not good. This is my first time getting involved in an issue. It is an eye opener!
    In Annapolis I was not able to testify. That sucked! I was able to attend the rally and sign in as opposed to the bill on the official record. I was able to learn where to go next time a call to action is needed! I also signed the petition that was passed around on the assault clipboards. I spoke to a lot of people. One thing that I found very interesting is that there were several Democrats (Obama supporters) in attendance that were there to voice their opposition to this bill as well. I spoke to a few. I am lucky to have been a part of history in Annapolis.
    The Montgomery Co Town Hall Meeting was a bit of a joke. I was severely disappointed! It seemed to be about 1/3 anti 2A and 2/3 Pro 2A in the audience. The Lt. Governor lied to everyone in the room about what was in the bill. His panel of experts that answered our questions were all unfamiliar with the bill. I asked several of them (after the meeting was over) if they had read these bills in their entirety. They all answered “no”. The Montgomery Co. Sheriff even told me that he had not read any part of the bill. I found this completely and totally unacceptable.
    Ike Leggett got very agitated when a pro 2A supporter spoke to non-compliance. Leggett asked the man “Who are you to choose to disobey? It is not for you to make that decision. We must follow the law.” He went on to talk about the process to change laws that you don’t like. I guess; to Ike that Rosa Parks and Dr. Martin Luther King were nothing more than common criminals that should not have had a voice! He should be ashamed of himself! I was not called upon to reply to his shameful question and hateful remarks. I would have let him know that I do have a choice and a duty (as a free man/ citizen) to disobey any and all unjust or morally corrupt laws! I would have reminded everyone in the room that had a badge or is a public servant that I am not subject to them nor am I accountable to them. It is they who work for and are accountable to us!
    I took the time to talk to several of the Anti-2A people that took the time to come out. We had very civil discussions about the issues. I also asked each of them if they had read the bill. They all also answered “no”. I gave each of them the information on where they could find the bills to read. I tried to educate them on what the bill is and how it will affect all of us. Most were receptive to what I had to say. They all thought that it was a “Safety Act” I had a copy of part of the bill that seeks to ban some safety devices and accessories. I shared that with all that claimed to oppose the 2A. They all seemed a bit shocked. One actually told me that she felt mislead and lied to. My reply to here was “you have been”.
    I will continue to do my part. Thank you to all that showed up. Thank you to all that support this effort that could not make it out this time. Thank you to all for including me. Thank you.

The current administration in Annapolis and DC thrive on the misinformation and depend on the stupidity of the average voter. Lets face it, if any of their claims were true and if any of the stats they quot were true, and if any of the so called research they have that supports their side of the issues was true, none of us would have guns. The fact that everything they say is a lie give us the fighting chance.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I attended both the Annapolis rally and the Montgomery Co town hall meeting. What I learned at both scared me. Some of what I saw was good and some of it was not good. This is my first time getting involved in an issue. It is an eye opener! .

"There are two things civilized Man should never see being made: Sausages and Laws."
    - Otto Von Bismark

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I say this because unlike other issues that people in MD complain about and do nothing to change, people showed up yesterday and took action. Prepared. As I can only react to what has happened and not what will happen, I looked at yesterday as the beginning of this fight--understanding that if its not worth fighting for, it isn't worth having. If there was no turnout, that would have been a not-so-great day. I came away encouraged and energized when the exact opposite could have been the case. It was cool to be able to show my son how you can have a voice and tell your elected officials that you don't approve of the job they are doing representing you.

If you have that written testimony in an electronic format, why not distribute it to media and other legislators so you won't feel that it may not get enough eyes on it?

Of course it is in electronic format and I will eventually send it to all the legislators. However, I am pretty sure that it has already all been said to them. When less than 10 people a year are murdered in this state with rifles, and less than 20 a year are murdered with rifles and shotguns, of which assault long guns is a subset of, it is really hard to justify cutting into the 2nd Amendment in an attempt to prevent something like Sandy Hook. Sandy Hook is a result of freedom. Same goes for 9/11 and Oklahoma City. There are prices to be paid and sacrifices to be made. I can think of a myriad of other ways to try to prevent another Sandy Hook without treading on the Bill of Rights, but nobody really wants to discuss that. They are naive enough to think that banning assault rifles will forever prevent something like Sandy Hook and nothing more would need to be done.

I attended a school safety meeting in Howard County back in early January, but have yet to see them post the results from said meeting. The majority of people that attended that meeting were for bullet proof glass, locked doors, and armed guards in the schools. Wonder if that is even an action plan.

Tyeraxus

Ultimate Member
    May 15, 2012
    East Tennessee
    ... They are naive enough to think that banning assault rifles will forever prevent something like Sandy Hook and nothing more would need to be done. ...

No sir they are not. "Assault weapon" bans are nothing more than a stepping stone to complete disarmament to those like O'Malley, Frosh, and Feinstein. Feinstein herself is on the record as saying the '94 federal version would have been complete confiscation if she'd had the votes.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I was there yesterday, from about 9:00am to last call. Brought three friends, all shoters, from work. Though I signed up early to speak., there were many before me, so no luck in testifying. Oh yeah, except "I'm Maryland Hunter from Howard Co, and I oppose this bill." at the end.

Really enjoyed the ralley and the speaker. Very motivational. Spent some time talking with Rick, the owner of OnTarget. Great guy, very involved in the process, and very worried about his business. Spoke with Senator Jacobs, very nice lady, glad she's on our side. I saw and spoke to Dan Bongino, should have gotten a pic.

Highlight of the day though, goes to the Crofton Crazy Lady. I wish that all of the supporters of this bill would've sounded just like her.

MH

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom