• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    Just finished making sausage for the first time. Made 9.5 lbs of summer sausage with jalepenos from my garden and cheese. I couldn't find the large cases so i just used the smaller case. I fried some up and its awesome! :)

Attachments

• sausage.jpg
      sausage.jpg
      27 KB · Views: 454

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    I took the first week off so all the anxious people hunting the farm could hunt. I finally got out last night. Sat for an hour till a doe, fawn and 4pt in velvet came by. I took the doe with a nice quartering away shot at 20yds. I heard her go down about 80 yds from me. Climb down and start tracking. I get to about 10 yds from her but she's still alive. So I backed out to give her more time while I packed my gear. When I came back to her she had gotten up and gone another 30-40 yds, so that required a tiny bit more tracking. Atleast she went down hill towards my truck, a long drag in that heat would have sucked.

Crappy cell pic while it was getting dark:

Attachments

• DOE.jpg
      DOE.jpg
      18.8 KB · Views: 442

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I took the first week off so all the anxious people hunting the farm could hunt. I finally got out last night. Sat for an hour till a doe, fawn and 4pt in velvet came by. I took the doe with a nice quartering away shot at 20yds. I heard her go down about 80 yds from me. Climb down and start tracking. I get to about 10 yds from her but she's still alive. So I backed out to give her more time while I packed my gear. When I came back to her she had gotten up and gone another 30-40 yds, so that required a tiny bit more tracking. Atleast she went down hill towards my truck, a long drag in that heat would have sucked.

Congrats, thats usually why I still give them 30 minutes if I hear them crash. I take my time climbing down and walk all the unecessary stuff to the car and get ready for the next few steps. Gives me time to calm down and gather myself and for the deer to expire if need be. If its dead in 30 seconds, itll still be dead in 30 minutes.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Congrats, thats usually why I still give them 30 minutes if I hear them crash. I take my time climbing down and walk all the unecessary stuff to the car and get ready for the next few steps. Gives me time to calm down and gather myself and for the deer to expire if need be. If its dead in 30 seconds, itll still be dead in 30 minutes.

Most of the time I will sit and hunt some more, but lastnight I still had some daylight left to track plus wanted to get her and me out of the heat asap.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD

Deer Downe.jpg

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Ok...my opening day heart break.

It was a tough one. I haven't been able to visit this forum all week and these pictures still make me sick. It's funny how quickly I go from loving to hating deer hunting.

I picked out what I thought was a perfect tree on some private land we use in Calvert County a few weeks ago. The tree is literally 30 yards from a driveway but well hidden from view. Easy in, easy out, I thought. The tree is just off a well used deer trail and the swamp and the drive way create this great funnel that I thought for sure would bring deer right to me. I left my climber hanging on the tree so I'd have less to carry in and less human smell on me.

So the morning of opening day I get dropped off at about 5:30am where I thought the path to my stand was. I was wrong. I got totally disoriented and ended up bush whacking and making a ton of noise in the dark for at least 45 minutes. I was sweating and pissed off. Finally, after stomping through the entire forest I found my stand. By the time I got up the sun had started to rise and I sweating like hell. Then the bugs came. For a hour I fought off those damn mosquitos who I'm sure are attracted to sweat. I was almost about to give up, I thought there was no way a deer would come by after all the noise I made and how I must smell (I was using a ton of Nose Jammer btw) plus these bugs are killing me. But then, at about 7:30 a nice wide 8 point comes cruising by, right where I thought he would. It caught me by surprise and as soon as I saw him I realized that in all the commotion I had forgot to range my area. I guessed he was about 25 yards away but I didn't have time to range him. So I got my shot off and boom, arrow went right under him. Turns out he was more like 30. He took off and I had to sit and stew for the rest of the day. That would have been the biggest deer I had ever shot. Lessons learned- always range early, Nose Jammer works, wear gloves to deter skeeters.

Whew, that felt good. Ready for Saturday.
    Welcome to deer hunting:) Id clear a trail of leaves/sticks towards your deer stand that way you can find it easier and also clear a path where you want the deer to walk...they will find it and use it. They try to be quiet when walking around..but you can use this to your advantage.

congrats nice doe will be tasty!

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I scored some private land...finally!

Going to get a walk through with the prop owner next week and get my signed permission slip from him. REALLY excited!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I scored some private land...finally!

Going to get a walk through with the prop owner next week and get my signed permission slip from him. REALLY excited!

Awesome man...if it's local to you and you need help after downing a deer let me know, I'm close and can/will help out.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Awesome man...if it's local to you and you need help after downing a deer let me know, I'm close and can/will help out.

Thanks

It is such a tease because I have about 5 deer that come out in my own backyard every afternoon or early morning.

Today a big ole doe was chowing down on the apples from the apple tree. I was so tempted just to shoot it there.

Unfortunately there is a school that backs to my property and the neighbors probably wouldnt be happy about a wounded deer running through their yards.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I'll post pics later but my wife got the first deer kill of the season and out our back yard of our new to us home no less:D With her crossbow!35yds, Not a great shot because it was quartering towards her but a kill nonetheless. It took off down the hill and had little to no blood trail. We looked for a couple hours came back in and she tells me more details of the moment of the kill and I go back out to try and find the deer...I start walking back to the house and stumble on the doe...I was 2 feet from her and couldnt see her because of the tall grass!! So I walk up the hill as fast as I can and get the 4wheeler and tell my wife I found her doe and we go back and get the Huge doe! 1230 we finally get done skinning and hanging it in our friends cooler..

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Sorry for the bad pics...it was late and not very good lighting..I was holding the doe's head up in the second pic. Its hard to tell but this doe was Huge!

Attachments

• 20140926_220535_resized.jpg
      20140926_220535_resized.jpg
      56.3 KB · Views: 293
    • 20140926_220557_resized.jpg
      20140926_220557_resized.jpg
      75.1 KB · Views: 294

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Bout damn time we got some pictures of dead ones.

I've never seen a drier season than this.

They're all over the salt lick I put out this year, but they're not around in the mornings or evenings.

May be time for a trail camera to see if they're coming out mid-day.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Bout damn time we got some pictures of dead ones.

I've never seen a drier season than this.

They're all over the salt lick I put out this year, but they're not around in the mornings or evenings.

May be time for a trail camera to see if they're coming out mid-day.

:thumbsup: This was a crossbow kill too:D:innocent0, while I was out taking care of the last part of our move...my wife shoots this deer right at sunset:lol2::sad20::D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom