Off duty carry. Compacts and sub compacts.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which of these for off duty carry?

• Glock 26/33

Votes: 38 33.6%
    • S&W Shield

Votes: 22 19.5%
    • G19/32

Votes: 28 24.8%
    • S&W M&P 9mm compact

Votes: 25 22.1%

• Total voters

RJP3579

Mar 10, 2011
    Pasadena, Md
    I am probably late in the conversation and I probably missed discussion about Walthers (if Blaster can carry Walther) but I love my PPS in 9mm. I purchased the Defender package which came with night sights and three mags, 6-7-8 rounders. The gun is super accurate and the action is very tight. I carry mine in the pocket during the summer in a pocket holster and I also use a Comp-Tac IWB most other times when I am not carrying my Glock 23. I have never shot a Shield but the size is similar without the external safety. Also use a Fobus for it like I did today.

20131218_234816_zpssuqzsp64.jpg

20131218_234738_zpseqzq9nqd.jpg

556ready

Mar 5, 2012
    AAco
    I carry my M&P 9c on and off duty. It's big for an ankle gun after a few days you get use to it. Off duty I carry it at 4 o'clock in a Hidden Hybrid holster.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I like how I chose the least voted for pistol. :)

Glad you got the Shield, Blaster!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I like how everyone keeps trying to recommend you a holster for it. ;)

As soon as I read Blaster's resons for not wanting a holster, that was good enough for me!!!

Just like IWB..... personally, I don't particularly like IWB, for two reasons.
    • I don't want to be forced to buy larger pants/trousers/jeans to accomodate IWB carry.
    • I prefer OWB for carry, period.

If someone knows weapons, and wants to carry a particular way, that person is an adult, and should know what they want.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Glad you got the Shield, Blaster!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

As soon as I read Blaster's resons for not wanting a holster, that was good enough for me!!!

• I don't want to be forced to buy larger pants/trousers/jeans to accomodate IWB carry.

If someone knows weapons, and wants to carry a particular way, that person is an adult, and should know what they want.

I will get a holster. Just like I have for my other pistols and just like everyone else does. Get a kydex, iwb, owb, some little cheap thing, etc.... and barely use any of them LOL
    $300 worth of holsters for a $400 pistol :)

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I will get a holster. Just like I have for my other pistols and just like everyone else does. Get a kydex, iwb, owb, some little cheap thing, etc.... and barely use any of them LOL
    $300 worth of holsters for a $400 pistol :)

Just for _ _its and grins, look at the Galco "Stinger".
    No strap. Lightweight. Less than $50.00 IF memory serves me.
    Cabela's is where I got mine. (Not being shown/listed, as I type this!) :shrug:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Galc...nger+holster&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

Midway USA has it, in stock for $47.16 + s/h.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/85...smith-and-wesson-m-and-p-shield-leather-black

For me, the .40 Shield is so light, "I" don't know that it's on my hip, and I do hear ya, when you say that you've carried 5 days-a-week for 20+ years.

And Thank You for that, too!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

FoxFirearms

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    If it's not going to be shot much, you don't have to worry about ammo prices, so I would go with the .357 Sig. Better stopping power. Having a 10rnd mag should be fine. I'm sure you'll be able to hit whatever you're shooting at in 10 shots.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

Agreed on all points. :thumbsup:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If it's not going to be shot much, you don't have to worry about ammo prices, so I would go with the .357 Sig. Better stopping power. Having a 10rnd mag should be fine. I'm sure you'll be able to hit whatever you're shooting at in 10 shots.

Thanks for the input!:thumbsup:
    When I feel the need for the power, I will carry my issue P229 in 357 :)
    I love the Sig .357 round.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Just for _ _its and grins, look at the Galco "Stinger".
    No strap. Lightweight. Less than $50.00 IF memory serves me.
    Cabela's is where I got mine. (Not being shown/listed, as I type this!) :shrug:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Galc...nger+holster&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

Midway USA has it, in stock for $47.16 + s/h.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/85...smith-and-wesson-m-and-p-shield-leather-black

For me, the .40 Shield is so light, "I" don't know that it's on my hip, and I do hear ya, when you say that you've carried 5 days-a-week for 20+ years.

And Thank You for that, too!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great minds think alike. I was looking at this one actually. I am a Galco fanboy. :D

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I have tried to go back to concealed carrying my Glock 17 and 19 like I used to do when I first got them but the Glock 26 is so much more comfortable to carry. I got a Glock 30S earlier this year and while I love it I still find myself carrying the Glock 26 almost everyday. To me anything smaller doesn't feel like a gun and anything heavier is just uncomfortable. When I was a Corrections officer I carried the 17 or 19 every day off duty and the 26 stayed home. Funny how preferences change with age. I have carried the 30S quite a few times this year and it is easy to conceal but the weight difference between it and the 26 is significant.

Tim460

May 22, 2010
    Baltimore Co.
    I've been IWB carrying my agency issued G22 for the past year (crossbread supertuck). I got a G27 for Christmas and look forwards to carrying that after the first of the year when I qual with it.

The width isn't a concern for me I had to buy 34" waist pants instead of my normal 33". The issue I have carrying my G22 is the grip printing pretty bad out the back of my shirt in the summertime. I'm 6' 185lbs and even carrying the G22 wasn't too bad with my holster, It just printed pretty bad in a T-shirt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom