• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcbrown

Super Genius
    Jun 16, 2012
    Yes. Apparently you forget that we disagree on this point. I'm not interested in beating that horse with you again.

No worries. I know we disagree on that point. My point is that you shouldn't be surprised about how things are going with respect to militia weapons precisely because of that.

Put another way, you and I may disagree on what Heller means in that context, but it should be no surprise whatsoever if a hostile court treats the prefatory clause as having no effect precisely because such a reading of Heller is POSSIBLE.

(Sent with Tapatalk, so apologies for the lackluster formatting)

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    No worries. I know we disagree on that point. My point is that you shouldn't be surprised about how things are going with respect to militia weapons precisely because of that.

Put another way, you and I may disagree on what Heller means in that context, but it should be no surprise whatsoever if a hostile court treats the prefatory clause as having no effect precisely because such a reading of Heller is POSSIBLE.

(Sent with Tapatalk, so apologies for the lackluster formatting)

Agreed. Once a federal court has decided, at least in effect, that Heller meant that there is no absolute right to carry outside the home in some manner by non-prohibited licensed individuals in non-sensitive places, everything else was pretty much off the table.

The best thing that could happen might well be that no 2A cases are taken until and unless there is a positive shift in the makeup of SCOTUS.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Volokh weighs in:

2nd Circuit upholds N.Y. and Conn. arms bans; contradicts Heller and McDonald
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...d-conn-arms-bans-contradicts-heller-mcdonald/
    The 2nd Circuit decision exemplifies the pattern in many lower federal courts of defying the Supreme Court’s admonition in McDonald v. Chicago that the Second Amendment is not “a second-class right, subject to an entirely different body of rules than the other Bill of Rights guarantees.” The approach of some lower courts seems to be that Heller stands for little beyond its holding that handgun bans are unconstitutional. In Heller, the court chastised lower courts for having “overread” the court’s 1939 decision in United States v. Miller; the Miller court had upheld the federal tax and registration system for sawed-off shotguns, but many lower courts asserted that Miller had ruled that the Second Amendment is a “collective right” that no individual can assert. Among the lower courts which, according to Heller, placed “erroneous reliance” on an incorrect interpretation of Miller, was the 2nd Circuit, in United States v. Scanio, No. 97–1584, 1998 WL 802060 (2d Cir., 1998).

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Thanks for the link. It's David Kopel writing in Volokh's space this time - and he does a good job at pointing out the contradictory and specious reasoning the court employed to rationalize the decision.

David Kopel is a bad ass; just like Gura & Hallbrook.

When it comes to civil rights insight, history, and the study thereof, both of them are friggin' awesome.

Southwest Chuck

A Calguns Interloper.. ;)
    Jul 21, 2011
    CA
    Kopel's on a Roll ... Bring on the Fire and Brimstone !

Another follow-up Article by David Kopel ... in WP's The Volokh Conspiracy

The 2nd Circuit’s second-class Second Amendment intermediate scrutiny

Boy, he really blasts the 2nd Circuit in this article, and rightly so.
    "By creating a feeble version of intermediate scrutiny for the Second Amendment, the 2nd Circuit chose to ignore the Supreme Court’s teaching in in McDonald v. Chicago that the Second Amendment is not “a second-class right, subject to an entirely different body of rules than the other Bill of Rights guarantees.”

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Great follow up - the dude's on fire. I'm glad that he's getting space at the Washington Post as SC Justices are likely to come across his scathing analysis of the 2nd Circuit's contrived analysis and acting as a rubber stamping arm of the executive vs an independent protector of the Constitution and the people.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Great follow up - the dude's on fire. I'm glad that he's getting space at the Washington Post as SC Justices are likely to come across his scathing analysis of the 2nd Circuit's contrived analysis and acting as a rubber stamping arm of the executive vs an independent protector of the Constitution and the people.

Nice thought, but the (individual) decisions have already been made. We merely have to wait for the trial.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I bet they have to rewrite their entire brief now. :lol2:

Perhaps they have a separate questions for level of scrutiny and another for the law itself, allowing SCOTUS to look at the scrutiny issue, and nothing else. If they were to rule strict scrutiny, it would have to put almost all of our previous losses in doubt, would it not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom