• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    As i recall NY State had a tantrum and passed new restrictions on carry post Bruen. A Federal judge issued an opinion that invalidated much of the law. 2nd Federal Court of Appeals issued a stay on his decision in Jan 2023. SCOTUS, when asked to intervene declined at that time and gave the lower court time to complete the process - but did indicate it should hurry. 9 months later it seems that SC's patience is exhausted and they are going to reconsider taking action against the stay.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    New York's revolt against Bruen.

Remeber when they passed the laws because Hochul felt the Bruen decision was wrong?
    Yes, this is the same Bruen political temper tantrum in New York that Bloomburg, Inc. spread to New Jersey and Maryland. I look back wistfully at the same situation in the school desegregation and voting rights struggles, and the judicial oversight put in place to insure compliance with both. What we need is a ruling that any new proposed gun restriction laws in MD, NY, NJ, CA, and HI (at least to start with) have to be reviewed and approved by Justice Thomas before they can be enacted.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Well, it got to Thomas and he is bringing to conference. So, someone is bringing it

I don’t know who the attorney is, bringing this case, but it is covered in the other thread. The plaintiff is … antyonk or something like that iirc.. my spelling on that sucks , but it’ll get ya started.

EDIT: NOT Antonyuk as I say above

in the bruen CCw case, oral argument day, I think it was maybe alito that had anticipated the states roadblocking and such. The discussion and his question was something along the lines of…

can all of Manhattan be made a “sensitive” area and all carry blocked?

i paraphrase slightly but that’s a fairly accurate repeat of his question. I can see maybe 2- 3 ready to take this on. But not more. But I ain’t a lawyer. the 3 dissenters and roberts , no.

2 yes, and the rest … a maybe. Wildcards?

OK, but WHO is bringing that non-compliance before SCOTUS? The Supreme Court doesn't have a wandering patrol that goes looking for stuff. Someone has to bring it before them. Who?

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    OK, but WHO is bringing that non-compliance before SCOTUS? The Supreme Court doesn't have a wandering patrol that goes looking for stuff. Someone has to bring it before them. Who?

It sounds like this is a continuation of the processes described in post 4701.

I wish Justice Thomas would crack down on Maryland.

...I look back wistfully at the same situation in the school desegregation and voting rights struggles, and the judicial oversight put in place to insure compliance with both. What we need is a ruling that any new proposed gun restriction laws in MD, NY, NJ, CA, and HI (at least to start with) have to be reviewed and approved by Justice Thomas before they can be enacted.
    " What we need is a ruling that any new proposed gun restriction laws in MD, NY, NJ, CA, and HI (at least to start with) have to be reviewed and approved by Justice Thomas before they can be enacted."

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The case Is:
    Nadine Gazzola, et al., Applicants
    v.
    Kathleen Hochul, Governor of New York, et al.

Case No. 23A230

Link To Supreme Court Docket

Link to Letter requesting Justice Thomas review

The following is very interesting

Link to letter with supplemental information in support of request

Last edited:

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    The case Is:
    Nadine Gazzola, et al., Applicants
    v.
    Kathleen Hochul, Governor of New York, et al.

Case No. 23A230

Link To Supreme Court Docket

Link to Letter requesting Justice Thomas review

The following is very interesting
    Link to letter with supplemental information in support of request
    That's the firearms dealers' suit about new laws affecting commerce in firearms, not Antonyuk, the suit over carry.

See "QUESTIONS PRESENTED FOR REVIEW" starting on page 2 here: https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/22/22-622/251374/20230104141522160_22 Petition for Certiorari.pdf

I've heard several pro-2A pundits state the plaintiffs in this case crafted their arguments poorly, unfortunately.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    That's the firearms dealers' suit about new laws affecting commerce in firearms, not Antonyuk, the suit over carry.

See "QUESTIONS PRESENTED FOR REVIEW" starting on page 2 here: https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/22/22-622/251374/20230104141522160_22 Petition for Certiorari.pdf

I've heard several pro-2A pundits state the plaintiffs in this case crafted their arguments poorly, unfortunately.
    Just skimming over this the plaintiffs are saying the state (and city I assume) were supposed to be giving new guidelines and forms as to how to get and renew CCWs and those never came, so basically anyone about to expire or doesn’t have one is screwed?

RennBaer

Aug 16, 2022
    NY-istan
    I believe that this SCOTUS conference on 10/6 is specifically in response to the plaintiffs in Gazzola v Hochul seeking an immediate stay of NY's new ammo background check and NY's takeover of the NICS background check. I'm not sure how much, if any, of the rest of the case will be addressed by SCOTUS on 10/6. Unfortunately, even if this particular stay is granted by SCOTUS, the vast majority of NY's anti-carry laws will remain in-effect and it will still be illegal to bring your firearm anywhere.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Just skimming over this the plaintiffs are saying the state (and city I assume) were supposed to be giving new guidelines and forms as to how to get and renew CCWs and those never came, so basically anyone about to expire or doesn’t have one is screwed?
    Interesting----https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/22/22-622/251374/20230104141522160_22%20Petition%20for%20Certiorari.pdf

It’s a chaotic situation on the ground in New York as a direct result of laws generated in anger and passed literally in the dark of night while the Governor was at the bully pulpit. Petitioners respectfully ask the help of this Court through preliminary injunctive relief so that they can withstand this fight without fear that “…the next person who walks through the door won’t be a Trooper from the Zone K substation with the handcuffs removed from his belt”. [Nadine Gazzola, Doc 132, ¶38] Respectfully submitted this 3rd day of January 2023 Paloma A. Capanna Counsel of Record

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom