• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt Frank

Feb 2, 2009
    Kent Island Maryland
    NRA Membership is due now and for the first time in years I am seriously thinking about cancelling due to the cost ($35) Does anybody know how much of the dues goes into “protecting our rights” and how much is being spent elsewhere in the organization? Thanks

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    NRA Membership is due now and for the first time in years I am seriously thinking about cancelling due to the cost ($35) Does anybody know how much of the dues goes into “protecting our rights” and how much is being spent elsewhere in the organization? Thanks

I think most of the money goes to mailing me a whole bunch of stuff I don't want......

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Ten cents a day isn't a bad investment - NRA's still the biggest gorilla in the room.

Of course, $10 for a year membership in MSI is, for my money, the best deal in town.

JOBU

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2010
    STALAG Montgomery
    MSI is gum at the bottom of NRA's shoe.

When the NRA calls, everyone in DC takes the call, listens, and takes good notes.

When MSI calls, everyone in DC thinks that the call is from a telemarketer.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Yea.....I would guess that NRA is like most other organs that produce a monthy show and tell maggie.......probably 75 to 80 percent of your dues goes into the publication and mailing of their plethora of Press material...But then, maybe I am mistaken....

In any case, with "thousands" of members at 35 a pop...that's some kinda bread....

R

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I think the NRA still has the most clout when dealing with Washington although they are suffering from the same problem our government has: it's beaurocracy is too big and they have to spend alot of time and money just to sustain itself

Echo Victor

Mar 25, 2009
    Harf Co.
    Even with as much junk mail (paper and electronic) I get from them, I'll keep renewing my membership. No other organization or individual can do as much to protect our 2A rights.

All the Life lock joint advertising kills me though.... what a scam!

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Keep in mind also

Eddie Eagle Children's Education

Gun Education Programs for Adults

Insurance for shooters

I believe they help provide insurance for gun clubs and groups. One thing states are doing is requiring insurance for protests, I believe the NRA can help groups get insurance for events.

Hunter Safety programs

When it comes down to it, you may hate the NRA, without them, were would we be now? I don't think anyone here would like to the picture of 2A rights w/o the NRA.

If you don't want them to send you stuff, just ask them. They will put you on the do not mail list.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I think the NRA still has the most clout when dealing with Washington although they are suffering from the same problem our government has: it's beaurocracy is too big and they have to spend alot of time and money just to sustain itself

:thumbsup: Probably true. But they are the biggest player and carry the most clout. I've often thought about cancelling but stay for that reason. They send me a lot of garbage, and I don't always agree with how they do things, but they are doing things and they keep doing things to keep 2A up front and in the public eyes.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    Keep in mind also

Eddie Eagle Children's Education

Gun Education Programs for Adults

Insurance for shooters

I believe they help provide insurance for gun clubs and groups. One thing states are doing is requiring insurance for protests, I believe the NRA can help groups get insurance for events.

Hunter Safety programs

When it comes down to it, you may hate the NRA, without them, were would we be now? I don't think anyone here would like to the picture of 2A rights w/o the NRA.

If you don't want them to send you stuff, just ask them. They will put you on the do not mail list.

WINNER!!!

Plus you get a nice selection of bathroom reading material 12 times a year.....

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    MSI is gum at the bottom of NRA's shoe.

When the NRA calls, everyone in DC takes the call, listens, and takes good notes.

When MSI calls, everyone in DC thinks that the call is from a telemarketer.

Why would MSI be calling DC? Did I miss the change from state to national organization? And since they are calling DC, who was it that they called that had them confused for a telemarketer?

Maybe a more accurate example would be when the NRA calls Maryland... oh wait, the NRA doesn't call Maryland as they've left us to fight our own battles. Of course with as much time and energy as I'm sure you've invested in the fight for our 2A rights in MD I'm sure you already knew that. :rolleyes:

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Why would MSI be calling DC? Did I miss the change from state to national organization? And since they are calling DC, who was it that they called that had them confused for a telemarketer?

Maybe a more accurate example would be when the NRA calls Maryland... oh wait, the NRA doesn't call Maryland as the've left us to fight our own battles. Of course with as much time and energy as I'm sure you've invested in the fight for our 2A rights in MD I'm sure you already knew that. :rolleyes:
    That's why my disgust with the NRA (and their you guys in MD don't real exist) is mitigated with my membership to MSI and SAF.

I will say this...they all serve their purpose, and strength in numbers is very important. Chances are...you will not be 100% satisfied 100% of the time by any of your organizations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom