• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Ok, when I last asked about this I was told taking the class was not a pre-requisite. That instead the instructor could grade your previous experience and you could go right into the Instructor course.

Just looking for some clarification. Can a guy who has not taken an NRA training course take an instructor level course.

TD

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Ok, when I last asked about this I was told taking the class was not a pre-requisite. That instead the instructor could grade your previous experience and you could go right into the Instructor course.

Just looking for some clarification. Can a guy who has not taken an NRA training course take an instructor level course.

TD

Yes, but you need to start with a basic pistol course and pass the pre-course qualification. In order to get instructor certification for the Personal Protection inside the home you would need to take the course as I recall and then you can move up to the outside the home course. You also need to do the instructor development course, which is usually given prior to the basic pistol certification.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Someone should put together a flow chart or something that would show the path someone could take through the training offered.

TD

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Someone should put together a flow chart or something that would show the path someone could take through the training offered.

TD

They have human flow charts, they are called Training Counselors and without them you get no instructor credentials. Ask a Training Counselor or most any instructor and they can tell you what the flow chart is.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    my post at #15. i am not ben, what i posted was what he has on the class listed on the NRA website. sorry for the confusion.

bobnieder

S&W Fan
    May 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I know this a resurrected thread, but I thought I' d post this information here.

If anyone is interested in NRA Personal Protection Outside the home, there's a course at 340 Defense in Rippon WV (about 30 miles from Frederick) in November. It's listed on the NRA course site as 11/3-4, but the instructor is re-scheduling for 11/17 or 11/17-18 ($200 for 11/17, $250 for 11/17-18).

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Does anyone have any information on this class

NRA Instructor Personal Protection Outside The Home Course Frederick 8/4/2011

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

its the only one in MD but there's not info for Registration etc.

IF ANYONE KNOWS AN UPCOMING INSTRUCTOR COURSE FOR PPOTH LMK

It's taught by Ben Kelkye. He was my instructor for advanced PPOTH and he is EXCELLENT. No BS, no nonsense. Take the course.

bobnieder

S&W Fan
    May 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    esqappelate, are you talking about the PPOTH that was held last year in Frederick or the one this November at 340 Defense?

I had difficulty finding PPOTH in Maryland, so I signed up for the WV course. I'm sure it will still be useful for a MD resident.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    esqappelate, are you talking about the PPOTH that was held last year in Frederick or the one this November at 340 Defense?

I had difficulty finding PPOTH in Maryland, so I signed up for the WV course. I'm sure it will still be useful for a MD resident.

It is hard to find PPOTH/PPITH as part of the class requires an attorney to teach a portion of the class (assuming the instructor wants to be on the safe side) in Maryland.

Also, if you want to teach the advanced portions of hte class, you really need a range where you can similate low-light and no-light conditions. In this way the student gets to practice shooting at targets based on natural point of aim after being 'blinded' by muzzle flash.

The range I trained at in Apex, NC was geared toward PPITH/PPOTH as well as shooting from a sitting position. Many ranges in the Baltimore area are limited in allowing an instructor to give the full course.

bobnieder

S&W Fan
    May 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I found a PPITH in New Windsor the end of September, so that should help cover the Maryland legal bases, at least from an HD standpoint. I don't know all the ins and outs about where to take the training courses, so I'm afraid I relied on trying to get them close to home and in the right order. When I am ready to get more specialized training, I will check this forum and rely on some pointers from knowledgeable people like you.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

I was talking about the class held at the IWLA #1 range this last June in Frederick. Ben teaches it (with a lot of assistant instructor help). I think the PPOTH course is great regardless of where you can find it. :D It is very hard to find a range where they will permit you to draw from a holster and do rapid fire. You pretty much need private land for that. The course is focused on those skills.

Jul 26, 2012
    Maryland
    I did my hunter's education at the Frederick Izaak Walton a couple of months ago.. Big eastern european guy taught it (Ben, I think). He knows his stuff! If I lived closer, I'd join them. The other instructors there were great too. Very thorough and took the time to explain things to the kids that were in the class. They were dead serious about safety.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I did my hunter's education at the Frederick Izaak Walton a couple of months ago.. Big eastern european guy taught it (Ben, I think). He knows his stuff! If I lived closer, I'd join them. The other instructors there were great too. Very thorough and took the time to explain things to the kids that were in the class. They were dead serious about safety.

Ben immigrated from Iran many years ago and is fervent convert to America. He will wax poetic about our 2A rights in this country as something unique in the world. And you are right, he really knows his stuff.

balext

Jan 15, 2011
    Kensington MD
    I was talking about the class held at the IWLA #1 range this last June in Frederick. Ben teaches it (with a lot of assistant instructor help). I think the PPOTH course is great regardless of where you can find it. :D It is very hard to find a range where they will permit you to draw from a holster and do rapid fire. You pretty much need private land for that. The course is focused on those skills.
    We are glad you enjoyed the class. Thanks for coming.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    PPOTH is for everyone who intends to carry. i have the means to offer the course four times per year. more on that later...

Ben is a great instructor, but so was 3rdrecon, Carlo and Jeanie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom