• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Son has a soccer game that day, but I might be able to have my wife take him.

Other than that, my only hesitation is that it is in Baltimore City. Attended the University of Baltimore from 95 to 98, but that area scares the hell out of me nowadays. Anybody CCW and want to carpool?

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    It was a long day with more information imparted than would ever fit in this little box I'm typing in.

Started off with a brief historical look at 2A litigation on the national level, covering most of the major cases since Miller in 1934. One thought that stuck with me all day was... pardon my paraphrasing... recent litigation is all about seeing if the Second Amendment has any teeth.

Next up was a panel discussion "Battle of the Experts" covering the battle to convince 2A unfriendly judges that Black Rifles aren't necessarily Evil and that "High Capacity" magazines aren't. Brought out many illogical points used by the other side.

The next panel covered Preemption, more of a state or local topic than of Federal concern. The whittling away of 2A rights through local "bans" and restrictions, how difficult it can be to find an appropriate client for a test case.

Panel after that discussed some Federal level changes and proposals, including the BATF trust changes for NFA items. The business of requiring photo/fingerprint and CLEO sign off for trusts could quickly turn into a CF. Requiring them for an individual transaction is an antiquated solution to the idea of "background checks," since there was no central system such as NICS or Criminal Justice Information Services Division (CJIS) when the NFA started in the '30s.

Also some discussion of the Endangered Species Act and possible interference in firearms sales and/or importation. Operation Chokepoint mentioned but the clock was running out on the day's activities.

Was it worth attending for a non-lawyer such as myself?
    Yes, and I would gladly attend the next one.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Good to hear it was worthwhile, I wished I could have attended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom