• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SniperArt

BLADE HOUND
    Mar 7, 2009
    MARYLAND USA
    So while I am a gun nut I have a special place in my hart for first grade knives. I have spent a small fortune on blades to find the right one for me. While my choice might not be your first choice I wanted to start this thread because deep down inside i prefer my blades to my rifles special when in an escape, evasion and survival situation. My blade will keep me warm with helping me process wood, my blade will feed me by helping me hunt. Maybe not as much as my rifle but try processing wood with a AR-15 :). My blade will build me a shelter and my blade will provide adequate self defense protection.

Well at the begging I thought of RAMBO of course who else tacticool knife Hollywood Kick but stuff the best of the best. right? WRONG! Hollywood is Hollywood and as you know the coolest most used gun in hollywood is the Desert Egale .50. While it looks cool as hell and oh man! Sexy as hell on Laura Croft in tomb raider I do not know one person that would choose it as a side arm in real world situation. (Im sure one of you guys would my apologies to you) :) So no rambo knives so I thought Marine K-Bar they have to have the best knife for survival right. Wrong Again! The Marine K-bar while a very good knife it is a fighting knife not a survival Knife. It would be limited at what it could do as well as the Navy's Pilot knife.

So where to go Hmm. Sog Navy Seals elite. Man they the Elite their so called knife has to be the Bomb!! I bought Two the Seki Japan which by the way it will be part of my permeant collection because it is a cool asz knife and the Newer Taiwan version Both great knife but not what I was looking for. So hey maybe the smaller Pup. And I know A lot of you guys love this knife I can not give the nod to a knife that will not process wood very good.

What now Hmm. So started doing more research on what a survival knife is all about and came Up with the Becker BK-2 WOW what a kick butt knife process wood like it is no thing but man the grips suck and wow it heavy. So got some micarta grips and man outstanding can not beat the price Love it . It is on my permanent gear by the way. but when it was all said and done I had spent a pretty penny on it so it was no longer a 60 $ knife.

So I said to my self their has to be a whole package out their and I will warn you nothing under 100 buck will stand up to the BK2 so if that is your budget the BK-2 is very hard to beat. Checked out ESEE Formally known as RAT Randall Adventure Training made by Ontario for Rat. Fell in love with the Esee 5 What a cool knife I wanted it so bad to be my top pick and for many of you it will be I am sure. But unfortunately for me the handle did not work out for my I got sharp pains in my right hand after using the tool for a while and it was the shape of the micarta. Know I was a X mechanic and the same thing happened to me when I was wheeling my snap on wrenches I thing it is more due to pre arthritis condition more than anything. So while I wanted the Esee 5 to rock the world it would not be the knife for me.

Spend a few more hundred bucks until I discovered my crown jewel knife. Bark River Bravo 1. while not a cheap knife the grip fit my hand like a glove the grind was perfect. very light weight. Field test was out of this world. While a lot of Bark river knife owners do not like the to fire striker swell I rather like it. It might not be the friendliest thing for my batton it is great when it comes down to knotting. It in no way looks as cool as the ESEE 5 but bottom line a tool is a tool and who care what it looks likes. I ended up giving up the ESEE 5 and the ESEE H.E.S.T to a good friend of mine and he thinks they are the best thing since sliced bread. So that goes to show their is no good answer which is the best knife out there. But BRAVO 1 From Bark River was the one for me. Oh and with a very big heads up to the ESEE IZULA a must for any back packer.

Tell Us about your first pick and why I would love to hear about it.

Attachments

• IMG_0404.jpg
      IMG_0404.jpg
      99.2 KB · Views: 353
    Last edited:

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    Very nice review bro. All that money you spent has to result in something tangible, other than two bad-a$$ hard working tools:sad20:. You are very right about the bark river knives. But if your on a budget like me, that knife is just too damn expensive. Awesome yes, no debate there. That damn ESEE-5 is hard to beat man. As you know i field tested it on my last outing and i was more than impressed with this incredible tool. I beat on it repeatedly batoning kindling. You wipe it off and you can't tell you even did anything with it. While it maintained a good edge. I could still slice paper clean with it afterward. In fact i still haven't needed to touch up the edge yet. Fantastic blade!:thumbsup:

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    It's interesting how folks don't seem to mind dropping grands on firearms only to cheap-out on their blades. If a person just isn't into edged weapons, I totally understand but I can't tell you how many times I've talked with folks whose firearms collections blow mine to atoms who act like I'm from Mars when I tell them a good blade is just as expensive as a good firearm. I'm probably on the other extreme, though, as I could buy a Barrett with some of the coin I've dropped on blades.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If I'm going to process wood, I'll bring my hawk. For anything else you mention, I'm keeping a bayonet on the end of my CETME if I really need to bug out. And I think any rifle with a bayonet attached would be a little more intimidating than just a knife. YMMV.

Jim

SniperArt

BLADE HOUND
    Mar 7, 2009
    MARYLAND USA
    If I'm going to process wood, I'll bring my hawk. For anything else you mention, I'm keeping a bayonet on the end of my CETME if I really need to bug out. And I think any rifle with a bayonet attached would be a little more intimidating than just a knife. YMMV.

Jim

Yes it would. And Im for one to being armed but as real life happens you are not going to have your CETME with you all the time. My point here was to speak of top notch blades and there usefulness but your input is appreciated. :D

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    For one that's not too expensive(though pricey for CRKT), I can't help but be intrigued by the Hisshou=> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuP79cnJIJs&feature=related
    => http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/73425-CRKT-HISSHOU...Whoa!
    You can get 'em for about $175 if you look around. Not as nice as a custom blade, of course, but pretty cool nonetheless.

I have the smaller fixed blade version, the hissatsu. It was a close out impulse buy. And while a totally badass blade, the geometry is wrong for pretty much anything but stabbing and slashing. In that order. The bevels are all wrong for any sort of survival stuff , especially wood processing.

That being said, it's a wicked stab/slash blade, and not something I would want to face in a fight.

For an all around big blade, I love my Becker BK 7. It chops and batons, and can still make fuzz sticks. I just have to remember to take the handle scales off and clean and oil it after a beach camping trip.

The RAT/ESEE izula is another awesome knife. I love mine. Their warranty is also second to none.

Lastly, I'm a big fan of blind horse knives. They make great stuff. I love my monthly special blades from them. Im saving up for one of their large pathfinder knives.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I have a couple of Blind Horse knives having seen them for the first time at the recent gun show here in Frederick. LT is a really nice guy and it is clear he takes pride in his American Made product. His monthly specials are a cool idea.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    any experience with the bk-14? it looks to be essentially the same knife as the izula (reviews comment that the esee micarta grips fit the bk-14) but at half the price.

cb51

When I was young, I too spent a lot of time on the search for the perfect knife. It took me almost until the time I was in my 50's that I realized there was no such thing. A difficult thing for a knife nut to admit to.

For the past 20 years, I just carry knife for cutting, and if I think there may be wood to be processed, I carry a small hatchet in my pack. I've amassed a small collection of Plumb, Vaughn, GB, and few hawks. I found out that the old mountain men had it right; a combo of knife and 'hawk does very well. I think the Swedes do well too with this combo, for them a 4 inch bladed puuko and a hatchet or ax. I've gotten by on extended camping trips with a three bladed stockman pocket knife and my old boy scout Plumb hatchet. The hatchet does well at knife jobs by choking up on the handle and using it like an ulu. Cleans fish and small game well, and carves fuzz sticks.

I love knives, and used to collect high end customs, but I don't like to push a knife beyond it's role as a cutting tool. Maybe spent too much time in the boy scouts when I was kid. I love my knives, but I won't go camping or woods wandering without one of my hatchets.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm not a big knife guy myself although I can appreciate a quality piece. A couple of years ago I bought a Skalja pocket knife as a gift for someone else and was pretty impressed with it. Not a tactical knife or anything like that but it was nice.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I can't tell you how many times I've talked with folks whose firearms collections blow mine to atoms who act like I'm from Mars when I tell them a good blade is just as expensive as a good firearm.

One has a multitude of parts large and small that must be machined to exact specifications and heat treated for proper hardness and often still must be hand fitted.

The other is one slab of steel that is possible hand shaped and heat treated. But you're talking about one item. Not the 50 or so that go into a handgun or rifle.

I'm not knocking your blades at all, I'm sure they're the best quality available, but surely you see the difference in labor and parts between a knife and a gun. That is why people look at you like you're from Mars.

However I think you're way smarter then people who spend hundreds of dollars on 1 bottle of wine... They're only renting that wine for a few hours while their body processes it LOL, you have a knife that will last a lifetime :thumbsup:

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I to appreciate a quality blade myself. For a fixed blade I like the Benchmade CSKII. It's a little large to carry all the time, so I carry an AFO. But my grab and go equipment includes my CSK. I haven't put one away for myself, but plan to pack a Cold Steel Trenchhawk with my knife as well. OP, that is a nice looking blade you have there.

Swagtimecharles

I'm all out of gum.
    Sep 30, 2011
    Upper Marlboro
    I am a huge fan and proponent for Benchmade knives ever since I got my first one back in 2006. They are a bit on the pricey side depending on what you are looking for. But, if you are looking for a folding blade with a heck of a service plan they are my favorite. They are so good H&K has them manufacture their knives for them. Not too mention made in the USA , as well as lifetime blade warranty. As long as you use them for cutting, no prying with these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom