• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    I believe it takes an act of congress to form another state. Wash. DC wants to be #51, even as corrupt as the DC government is. :lol2:

I would love to see a "Welcome to West Maryland" sign on the top of South Mountain.

semper000

Mar 24, 2009
    As far fetched as the reality this will actually happen I like the idea. I would like to see more areas in the country do it. Let "North Colorado" take all that natural gas income and let the rest be in their miserable creations. Lets face it those that in rural areas across the country, especially in our own state, will be less and less represented. The problem is when liberals try to create their idealistic urban Utopias, one day they scratch their heads and wonder why their failed policies aren't working. Make more laws on top of laws on top of more laws and raise taxes. Then move in droves to other ares like locusts feeding on a field and wreck that area again with the same failed ideas.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    not saying it would succeed but if 20 of the 23 counties in MD said this it might have an impact on the idiots cramming stuff down our throat.

Just need a good name for it

Old Marylnd
    The Red State

help me with names :D

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Weld County Sheriff's Posse ...

“We’re actually going to pursue it,” said Weld County Commissioner Douglas Rademacher, a farmer whose jurisdiction is spearheading the effort. “Frankly, we’ve been ignored in northeastern Colorado now for the last, going on eight years with the current administration in Denver.”

Rademacher cited numerous examples of how Denver politicians are out of touch with rural Colorado, from passing tough new gun laws — “that gun legislation really pissed a lot of people off in Weld County,” he said

I had the pleasure of meeting and interacting with Weld County's finest at the recent law enforcement memorial event in DC. {10th photo to the right}

The reason Weld County has such a large mounted contingent is because, except for interstate, they are extremely rural and only accessible by horseback. They sent 16 of their mounted patrol (all bearing sidearms in downtown DC) cross-country via horse van to participate in the memorial because they have lost 6 in the past two years to 'bad guys' as they put it.

ThunderStick

May 12, 2013
    Garrett County
    West Maryland or .....

....become part of West Virginia.

Those of us in the 6th Congressional District were shafted big-time by the gerrymandering flatlanders in Annapolis.

When you have those counties that surround D.C. dictating to the rest of the State how things are gonna be,,,, that is not representation representative of us!

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    As noted the natural riches are in the north which makes it easier for them to create their own state. They hold the cards in the deck.

I thought to myself could Maryland do it ? I don't think it can. This state is run into the ground and its only ability to stay somewhat solvent is that we are so close to the federal government. If Western Maryland went off into its own state what does it have to stay solvent ? Much can be said about the Eastern Shore but they do have ocean city.

The only saving grace I see is that taxes from the state to income tax would go down making them more desirable.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    But wait, there's more ...

Effort To Create New State Called ‘North Colorado’ Grows

Organizers of the secession effort say their interests are not being represented at the state Capitol. Representatives from the 10 counties held a meeting on Monday in the town of Akron in Weld County to begin mapping the boundaries for the new state they say will represent the interests of rural Colorado.

In addition, organizers say three other Colorado counties and two in Kansas have said they may join the secession movement. They hope to put the idea to voters as early as this November.

Those a good people up there in Weld County. I got to meet 16 of their finest earlier this year at the Police Memorial in DC.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    UPDATE:

WashingtonTimes.com -
    Rural Coloradans to vote on breaking away as 51st state, angered by liberal policies on guns, energy

The Weld County Commissioners voted unanimously at Monday’s meeting to place a measure on the Nov. 5 ballot asking voters whether they want the county to join other rural counties in forming another state.

Three other rural counties — Cheyenne, Sedgwick and Yuma — also plan to place the 51st state referendum on the fall ballot. At least three more counties plan to consider the proposal this week at their commission meetings, said Jeffrey Hare, spokesman for the 51st State Initiative.

7 counties and counting ...

Approving a 51st state would require a majority vote of both houses of Congress, although the Constitution doesn’t require the signature of the president, Mr. Hare said.

“Again, folks say this can never happen. However, we are starting to hear from disenfranchised groups all over the country,” said a post on the 51st State Initiative’s website. “We are truly a divided nation. It is possible, if not likely, that we may not be the only group requesting from Congress the formation of a new state.”

Did they get wind of WestMD ?

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    You would promptly see MD tax your income as some states do with athletes. You live in Washington Co and work in the "original MD". Also, would those western counties be able to sustain themselves?

RustinRifle55

Feb 24, 2013
    St. James MD
    I work in Washington Co. so "Old Maryland" would have no rights to my income. As far as self staining.....as a right to work state with 2A and other constitutional liberties, and lower taxes.........sounds like a recipe to bring in business to our new state. Anything is better than the garbage coming out of Annapolis.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    Please...please let Garrett, Allegany, Washington, and Frederick Co.'s cut ties with Annapolis. We are begging all the urban counties to let us go....please.

I've heard this mentioned more and more lately, but I can't figure out why Carroll County wouldn't be on that list too. Is the eastern part too tied to Baltimore?

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    No way Democrats would allow another Republican stronghold to be created. You are going to need a Republican majority in both houses for this to pass.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    my understanding is that it is much harder to make another state than to split some counties off from one state and have another state obsorb them.

it would have to pass muster in both states to do it but still easier than getting recognized as the 51st state.

Kelson1066

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frederick County
    I believe it takes an act of congress to form another state. Wash. DC wants to be #51, even as corrupt as the DC government is. :lol2:

I would love to see a "Welcome to West Maryland" sign on the top of South Mountain.

Nope counties can leave the "home state" (see WV and KY) at any time. TO become part of the union they have to adopt a republican form of government, establish their own constitution, and then they can apply for statehood.

See COTUS Art IV. Sec 3. and Sec 4.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    my understanding is that it is much harder to make another state than to split some counties off from one state and have another state obsorb them.

it would have to pass muster in both states to do it but still easier than getting recognized as the 51st state.

This is what I am hoping for with Northern Colorado. I don’t much like new states getting built because if one group can do it they all can leading basically to an arms race to get more states so either side can get more reps in the Senate.

Personally, I would love to see Northern Colorado join with one of their neighboring states and for western/eastern MD to go to other states as well. I think that would set a good precedence. If states neglect certain districts, those districts will go where their tax dollars are more appreciated.

Kelson1066

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frederick County
    This is what I am hoping for with Northern Colorado. I don’t much like new states getting built because if one group can do it they all can leading basically to an arms race to get more states so either side can get more reps in the Senate.

Actually it's a really good idea with so many reps and senators NOTHING WILL GET DONE.

I consider that a bonus for all Americans.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom