• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you're referring to an SBR, there isn't. Minimum length is only measured on the complete firearm. Which for centerfire rifles in Md. is longer than 29''. You can have a 2'' barrel on it as long as OAL exceeds 29''. AFAIK
    If you're referring to a standard rifle, minimum bbl. length is 16'' or longer. There are no minimum required lengths on uppers, per say. IANAL

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    What is the minimum length a complete upper receiver has to be before you have to fill out forms and wait?

It's not determined by the length of the upper. It's determined by the length of the barrel, and only if your'e talking about a rifle, not a pistol.

If you're talking about a pistol, you can put whatever length barrel on it you want. If you're talking about a rifle, you must have a minimum of a 16" barrel. Anything shorter than that requires going through whatever part of the NFA process is applicable (Form 1 or Form 4, depending on if you're making the firearm yourself or if you're buying it already completed). Either way, at that point you have to do the $200 tax stamp and whatever other paperwork is required depending on how you're doing it (either as an individual or as a trust).

Edited to add:

Of course, in MD right now with the MSP's incorrect reading of the law, you must have an OAL of at least 29" on any SBR. For a pistol it still doesn't matter, but an SBR must be at least 29".

IgotAgun

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 20, 2015
    I just submitted a form 1 with a 9 inch upper. Lets just say I got a very long stock and an extended buttpad to make the cut. I will let you know what happens.

For the most part though a 10.5 inch upper on an AR will get you to 29 inches with pretty much any stock, so if you want to be safe go 10.5. I would not go below 9 inches though.

reckless1911

Nov 19, 2012
    Odenton
    I just submitted a form 1 with a 9 inch upper. Lets just say I got a very long stock and an extended buttpad to make the cut. I will let you know what happens.

For the most part though a 10.5 inch upper on an AR will get you to 29 inches with pretty much any stock, so if you want to be safe go 10.5. I would not go below 9 inches though.

yes since im planning on buying a 556 and 762 pistol, I didnt see the need to build a short rifle that would require all the extra work and wait.

So your saying that I can buy a 10.5 min length upper and slap it on my built lower and be legal and fine right?

If this is the case I will be jumping on a 11 inch 300blk i just saw

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    yes since im planning on buying a 556 and 762 pistol, I didnt see the need to build a short rifle that would require all the extra work and wait.

So your saying that I can buy a 10.5 min length upper and slap it on my built lower and be legal and fine right?

If this is the case I will be jumping on a 11 inch 300blk i just saw

As long as your built lower has a pistol buffer tube and no vertical foregrip on the upper yes.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not unless that "built lower" happens to be a Pistol.

If it is already a Md legal post Oct 1 SBR , it would require an extra long stock , and thick butt pad to make 29in.

If it is a Title I rifle , that 9in bbl would need a 7.5in long perminently attached flash hider to make a net 16in bbl.

reckless1911

Nov 19, 2012
    Odenton
    As long as your built lower has a pistol buffer tube and no vertical foregrip on the upper yes.

ok so then whats the difference between a 16inch barrel up and a 10.5 thats going to determine that the 10.5 will require a pistol buffer tube and the 16 is fine with a regular stock system?

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    ok so then whats the difference between a 16inch barrel up and a 10.5 thats going to determine that the 10.5 will require a pistol buffer tube and the 16 is fine with a regular stock system?

The barrel length must be >=16" otherwise it needs to be a pistol or SBR paperwork. The barrel length is the determining factor.

reckless1911

Nov 19, 2012
    Odenton
    The barrel length must be >=16" otherwise it needs to be a pistol or SBR paperwork. The barrel length is the determining factor.

ah ok perfect.. I get it now.. so one of my lowers will just have to be built out for the purpose of fitting a short barrel of max min length of 10.5 inches and no grip.. thank you all for clearing this up for me so fast

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    ah ok perfect.. I get it now.. so one of my lowers will just have to be built out for the purpose of fitting a short barrel of max min length of 10.5 inches and no grip.. thank you all for clearing this up for me so fast

And no stock.

Rifle build:
    16"+ Barrel
    Stock
    VFG is fine

Pistol build:
    Any size barrel
    NO STOCK
    NO VFG
    AFG is OK

SBR build:
    Barrel 10.5"+ to meet 29"+ requirement
    NO STOCK until Stamp is received

(I tried to sum it up for you, hopefully I didn't screw it up)

IgotAgun

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 20, 2015
    Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to an SBR build I am working on. If you submit a Form 1 the SBR must have 29 inch OAL. If it is a pistol (No stock basically) then there is no length restriction. When I was referring to a 10.5 upper I meant 10.5 inch barrel not the whole upper. When talking about length restrictions most people are either referring to overall length or barrel length.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

But it was originally sold or built as a RIFLE, you may NOT turn it into a pistol.

If it was originally a PISTOL, you can make it into a RIFLE, then back to a PISTOL.

Best way, start with a virgin lower, that was transferred as Other.

Oh, and make SURE you have a pistol lower in hand, BEFORE having the short barreled upper arrive. If you have a short barrel upper and NO pistol lower, but rifle lowers, you could be illegal under constructive intent.

Rifle = Barrel longer than 16" with shoulder stock (in MD, must be 29" or longer if centerfire semi auto). Muzzle devices count for barrel lenght IF they are permanently installed (silver solder or pinned/welded)

Pistol = Any barrel length, without a shoulder stock (SIG Brace is legal, UNLESS you actually put it to your shoulder), if less than 26" overall, cannot have a vertical fore grip.

SBR (Short Barrel Rifle) = Shoulder stock and less than 16" barrel. Currently in MD, must be at least 29" long if centerfire semi auto.

reckless1911

Nov 19, 2012
    Odenton
    But it was originally sold or built as a RIFLE, you may NOT turn it into a pistol.

If it was originally a PISTOL, you can make it into a RIFLE, then back to a PISTOL.

Best way, start with a virgin lower, that was transferred as Other.

Oh, and make SURE you have a pistol lower in hand, BEFORE having the short barreled upper arrive. If you have a short barrel upper and NO pistol lower, but rifle lowers, you could be illegal under constructive intent.

Rifle = Barrel longer than 16" with shoulder stock (in MD, must be 29" or longer if centerfire semi auto). Muzzle devices count for barrel lenght IF they are permanently installed (silver solder or pinned/welded)

Pistol = Any barrel length, without a shoulder stock (SIG Brace is legal, UNLESS you actually put it to your shoulder), if less than 26" overall, cannot have a vertical fore grip.

SBR (Short Barrel Rifle) = Shoulder stock and less than 16" barrel. Currently in MD, must be at least 29" long if centerfire semi auto.

Clarified and understood perfectly now... thanks :party29:

reckless1911

Nov 19, 2012
    Odenton
    One last question, how exactly would I buy a specified pistol lower??

I bought 4 stripped lowers preban in 2013 so I dont know what they would be considered.. rifle or pistol.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!

You don't. The lower (receiver\frame) is what you make of it, whether it be a rifle or handgun. Making it a "pistol lower" usually entails attaching a buffer tube that cannot readily attach a rifle stock (i.e pistol buffer tube). The pistol buffer tubes or receiver extensions, will be completely round and not have notches to attach a standard rifle or carbine stock.

I bought 4 stripped lowers preban in 2013 so I dont know what they would be considered.. rifle or pistol.

Save those pre-ban registered lowers, for pre-ban rifle builds. Buy some new receivers if you want to make a new AR-15 pistol.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

Stripped lowers are "other" and can be built into any legal configuration. This includes a pistol.

reckless1911

Nov 19, 2012
    Odenton
    You don't. The lower (receiver\frame) is what you make of it, whether it be a rifle or handgun. Making it a "pistol lower" usually entails attaching a buffer tube that cannot readily attach a rifle stock (i.e pistol buffer tube). The pistol buffer tubes or receiver extensions, will be completely round and not have notches to attach a standard rifle or carbine stock.

Save those pre-ban registered lowers, for pre-ban rifle builds. Buy some new receivers if you want to make a new AR-15 pistol.

Stripped lowers are "other" and can be built into any legal configuration. This includes a pistol.

Ok now everything is officially clear to me and I know what direction I will be going in.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Someone please comment on a 14" barrel with a 2" thingie, (flash hider?)
    To make a 16" oal barrel, you can choose a shorter length barrel and have a muzzle device permanently attached by a gunsmith. Pinned and welded is the most common method, but I think Silver Soldering it will pass muster too.

The muzzle device does not count towards OAL of the barrel unless it is PERMANENTLY attached to the barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom