• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thebrotha167

Dec 27, 2007
    Wyomissing, PA
    As a non resident of MD now, I still on occasion may wish to frequent the ranges in maryland from time to time. Is there an exemption for non residents to transport handguns/ regulated firearms into MD for the express purpose of target shooting? Or is that verboten, or requires a HQL, from which I have read, is not issued to non residents?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MD statute 4-203 allows transport to a range. Doesn't specify you must be a MD resident. Only that it be transported unloaded in an enclosed case or holster. The HQL is for new purchases or transfers post Oct. 1.

IANAL

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    As a non resident of MD now, I still on occasion may wish to frequent the ranges in maryland from time to time. Is there an exemption for non residents to transport handguns/ regulated firearms into MD for the express purpose of target shooting? Or is that verboten, or requires a HQL, from which I have read, is not issued to non residents?

There is no new requirement in this regard with respect to handguns, but banned "assault" or "copycat" firearms may not be brought into the state even temporarily, unless "grandfathered" (i.e., lawfully owned prior to October 1, 2013). (Various exceptions for law enforcement, military, etc.)

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Here is what MD law says:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=4-203&ext=html&session=2013RS&tab=subject5

(b) This section does not prohibit:

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom