• ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The FL statute requires live fire. exception is hunter safety

FL 790.06

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Florida will NOT accept LiveScan done in Maryland. I sent an email to ask and was told YES. I paid for the LiveScan and had it printed on their card only to get it back. Florida requires all out of State Fingerprint cards to be done at a POLICE Station. Laurel Police Station printed the card for me from their LiveScan machine and Florida accepted that.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Yep. Out of state must be printed on their cards and be done by a LE agency. The person doing the prints is supposed to sign the card and the Agency and address are supposed to be written on the back.

Attachments

• prints.jpg
      prints.jpg
      111.2 KB · Views: 137

DubleTap

Nov 19, 2011
    All the above is spot on. I believe some of the confusion lies in the fact that while Florida does allow an Online Course, upon completion you still must do a "Skills Day" as they call it which is a Live Fire Session. ( Click Here to see the Florida Fish and Game Training Site) so there appears no way to get Florida Non Resident Carry Permit without a Live Fire session. I have already gotten my Florida fingerprint card done at Frederick State Police barracks along with my Virginia Fingerprint Card (FYI, you get one or two rolled fingerprint cards for $20, same price) So I was going to go ahead and get Florida. But since they have required the Live fire I am re-evaluating my thought process. The Virginia Permit is very close to Florida State Reciprocity wise and getting Florida just may not be worth the expense of a Live Fire Class.

BTW, when I asked Florida how long the Card was valid, they replied they only will accept a card that is 90 days old or less since preparation. Virginia response was that they do not expire. Florida is making you work for it now it seems.

Should anyone find a Florida acceptable training course that does not cost a first born male child and is on the other side of the moon, I would appreciate hearing about it. I have 21/2 months left.

Thanks to all for the good info.

TheRussianNightmare

Sep 17, 2012
    DubleTap said:
    Should anyone find a Florida acceptable training course that does not cost a first born male child and is on the other side of the moon, I would appreciate hearing about it. I have 21/2 months left.

Thanks to all for the good info.

Are you free tomorrow, and feel like taking a ride?:innocent0

It looks like the multi-state class is 4/30 starting at 9AM.

I had UT permit, and just took care of the live fire part with Kevin Dukes @ Bollinger's. I attended the later portion (after UT classroom).

Call Kevin 443 990 1776. He is user Dukes Defense on this board, also www.DukesDefenseWorld.com

I got my fingerprints done, via live scan, at the Volusia County Sheriff, while on vacation. If you go that route, call the local sheriff, and see what days and times they do prints.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    May be a dumb question, but has anyone looked into the hunter education online courses instead of gun safety training courses? Many states offer these online now and some don't require a field day anymore.

DubleTap

Nov 19, 2011
    First off, thanks Russian Nightmare for the training course info, unfortunately I have Montgomery County CERT training from 9 to 1 tomorrow. Appreciate the effort and I still may be able to utilize the training info.

EDIT: Just called Florida FireArms Licencing and talked to a young lady who assured me that in order to qualify for the Florida Non Resident Carry Permit you MUST show that you have a certificate that indicates you have shown that you are competent with a FireArm and shows with Live Fire Training. No Exception. I asked if this was new or has it always been this way. She said that she doesnt know how "new" it may be that it has always been that way since she has been in the FireArms Licensing Dept. Should anyone wish to verify the number I called is:

Division of Licensing
    Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
    (850) 245-5665

Took about 5 minutes to get to the proper person. I am going to leave what i had said below since others may have already seen it and may wish to reply.
    Now back to Florida. As you may have seen, I already posted a response from Florida stating that my Maryland Police Training Commission Certificate was NOT Valid because it was an online course. My concern an thinking is why would they allow other Online Only classes based on that rejection? I repost their response again below. Nowhere does it state that an online course is acceptable. Im not trying to beat a dead horse here, but if they turned down my Maryland Course that was approved pursuant to MD statues, why would they approve another online course. They state that you need information from an instructor etc, you will not get that from an Online Course. I am going to resend to Florida and ask for clarification (EDIT: I called Florida after posting this, see results of that phone call above)

Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 09:23 AM

To: Wyreless

Subject: RE: 2nd AttemptOut of State Concealed Carry Permit Question

Hello,

This is to acknowledge receipt of your e-mail. No, your training certificate will not suffice as proof of training because it was online course.

We will accept demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:

1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm.

Thank you,

Division of Licensing

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The important point ios it's a hunter safety course, not that it's online. Other people here have use the HS course, no matter how it's delivered. you send them a copy of your certicate. it doesn't state how you received it.

IMO FL does not consider the online Hunter Safety course an online handgun safety course, based on other people having used it.

But do what you like.

DubleTap

Nov 19, 2011
    I have posted hunter safety on line is acceptable. No live fire required. item 1 on the list

BTW, if you look at the approved Hunter Safety courses in Florida, although they have an Online Course option, it still requires one to attend a "Skills Day" that is seperate and you must prove firearm competency. ( CLICK HERE to see the list of Approved Florida Fish and Wildlife Hunter Safety Courses) I guess Florida, like every other state government, can interpret their statues how they chose.

DubleTap

Nov 19, 2011
    OK for those who are interested, here is the scoop on Florida and their Live Fire requirement. For one, it is absolutely a requirement to get the Florida Non Resident Concealed Carry Weapon Permit.But, as you will see, it has been discussed and debated for years. Here is an excellent example of this right here in this thread, from 2011 on MD Shooter for instance.
    Also, here is an email, from 2011 from the Florida Division of Licenses when another MD Shooter member inquired, as I did, about the Maryland Police Training Commission Course:
    This question has been asked by several interested applicants and
    unfortunately we do not accept this training certificate because it is
    an online course and no live fire is done.

Amanda Herring, Public Inquiry Supervisor
    Division of Licensing
    Bureau of License Issuance.

What has occurred in the past was that yes, many people did make it past the examiners with certificates from other states online courses, wrongly. The legalese from Florida is written horribly and very confusing and remains that way to this day. But, as my calls have determined, Florida is cracking down and if the Certificate you send in does not contain a Live Fire certification, it will most likely be returned. Will some people get away with sending an Online Hunter Safety Course and get away with it? Sure, anything is possible. But as I see it now, not very likely. They are on the ball on this subject. To me it will not be worth it to send the Online Safe Hunter Certificate to Florida and then some 30-60 days later get the denial letter and have to start over. I will have wasted the time and the money and STILL have to get the Live Fire certification done and start the whole process anew.

There is a MD Shooter member who has a company, Kevin Duke of Dukes Defense World who has a Florida Live Fire Certification course for $75.Click Here for details (Scroll to bottom of page) (Thanks to Russian Maniac for the tip) As stated in the description of his UTAH CCW Class:

Successful completion of this course can also be used to to apply for a Virginia or Maine Non-resident Concealed Firearms Permit or a Florida Non-resident Concealed Handgun License (Florida requires a live fire certification which is available) . Our Instructors are NRA, Utah BCI, and Maryland State Police Certified Handgun Instructors.

So in closing, I am fairly sure we have now determined that legally, the state of Florida does require a Live Fire Session to satisfy their requirements for the Florida Non Resident Concealed Carry Permit. It is up to you, the applicant, as to whether you will try and send an Online Only Certificate, or just bite the bullet (pun intended) and do it right the first time and send in the proper documents. I wish you well and again, thanks for all of the discussion participants. :party29:

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    I know that "pro shooters " in VA also run the live fire requirement but that may be a bit far.

DubleTap

Nov 19, 2011
    I know that "pro shooters " in VA also run the live fire requirement but that may be a bit far.

Thanks Basscat. I actually saw pro shooters in that 2011 thread I mentioned above and he said he would do Fla live fire after Chantilly Gun Shows. (of course tat was 5 years ago (:)So that may be an option. Appreciate your info!

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    The important point ios it's a hunter safety course, not that it's online. Other people here have use the HS course, no matter how it's delivered. you send them a copy of your certicate. it doesn't state how you received it.

IMO FL does not consider the online Hunter Safety course an online handgun safety course, based on other people having used it.

But do what you like.

Your sir are 100% correct. The hunter safety courses are clearly covered in the law without a live fire distinction. Many of us have received FL non resident permits this way without live fire.

But as you point out if someone doesn't want to listen they can do what they like. :thumbsup:

DubleTap

Nov 19, 2011
    It amazes me the experts we have in this forum. Yes, you used to be able to submit a Hunter Safety Course and get away with it. Things have changed. What your buddy Bob got away with last year, is history. Here is the current Acceptable Training Requirements Page from the Florida Licensing Website. Please, tell me, when you submit the Hunter Safety Course that you take Online, where do you get the Instructors Name, their Instructor Number and their qualification history. Where will that information be on a State Online Hunter Safety Course? I talked to multiple people today at the Florida Licensing Division and each one said the same thing, whether by Email or telephone, you must submit proof of having LiveFire training.

Yes, I will handle this as I prefer, thats my choice, its America. But you dont have to be so childish about it with snide remarks. Thought this was a community of like minded 2A supporters. Its like you just cant handle being wrong. Your giving bad advice out to people who come to this forum looking for facts, not some opinion based on what some guy got away with in the past.

Acceptable Training Documentation
    DO NOT SEND ORIGINAL TRAINING DOCUMENTS OR OTHER RELATED MATERIALS TO THE DIVISION.
    Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm in order to qualify for a concealed weapon license. A copy of a CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:
    Any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;
    Any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    Any firearm safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
    Any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    Any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.

The copy of the training certificate/document must be clear and legible and must include:
    Your name,
    Your instructor's name,
    Your instructor's qualifications/credentials (National Rifle Association instructor, law enforcement firearms instructor, Class "K" Firearm Instructor licensed by the State of Florida, etc.), and
    Your instructor's license/certification number.

Other acceptable forms of training documentation include the following:
    Documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition;
    Active-duty military personnel may submit copies of any of the following documents that confirm your experience with a firearm gained during your service:
    Military orders including call to active-duty letter;
    A statement of military service signed by, or at the direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters which identifies you and provides your date of entry on your current active-duty period;
    Former military personnel can submit a DD Form 214 reflecting honorable discharge from military service.

Sounds to me that Florida has tightened up and you cant just send in any old On line Certificate to me. But thats just my opinion.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    It amazes me the experts we have in this forum. Yes, you used to be able to submit a Hunter Safety Course and get away with it. Things have changed. What your buddy Bob got away with last year, is history. Here is the current Acceptable Training Requirements Page from the Florida Licensing Website. Please, tell me, when you submit the Hunter Safety Course that you take Online, where do you get the Instructors Name, their Instructor Number and their qualification history. Where will that information be on a State Online Hunter Safety Course? I talked to multiple people today at the Florida Licensing Division and each one said the same thing, whether by Email or telephone, you must submit proof of having LiveFire training.

Yes, I will handle this as I prefer, thats my choice, its America. But you dont have to be so childish about it with snide remarks. Thought this was a community of like minded 2A supporters. Its like you just cant handle being wrong. Your giving bad advice out to people who come to this forum looking for facts, not some opinion based on what some guy got away with in the past.

Acceptable Training Documentation
    DO NOT SEND ORIGINAL TRAINING DOCUMENTS OR OTHER RELATED MATERIALS TO THE DIVISION.
    Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm in order to qualify for a concealed weapon license. A copy of a CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:
    Any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state;
    Any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    Any firearm safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
    Any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    Any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.

The copy of the training certificate/document must be clear and legible and must include:
    Your name,
    Your instructor's name,
    Your instructor's qualifications/credentials (National Rifle Association instructor, law enforcement firearms instructor, Class "K" Firearm Instructor licensed by the State of Florida, etc.), and
    Your instructor's license/certification number.

Other acceptable forms of training documentation include the following:
    Documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition;
    Active-duty military personnel may submit copies of any of the following documents that confirm your experience with a firearm gained during your service:
    Military orders including call to active-duty letter;
    A statement of military service signed by, or at the direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters which identifies you and provides your date of entry on your current active-duty period;
    Former military personnel can submit a DD Form 214 reflecting honorable discharge from military service.

Sounds to me that Florida has tightened up and you cant just send in any old On line Certificate to me. But thats just my opinion.

I am sure you can also call Maryland State Police licensing division and get 5 different people to tell you that you have to qualify with 9 mm or larger. They too would be wrong.

You really ought to read what you post before you sarcastically refer to others as experts.

From your post: "Any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state"

The important section being: "or a similar agency in another state"

A few phone calls doesn't make you the expert. The folks you are chastising already have FL permits and were simply pointing out the obvious text in the law to be helpful. The person answering the phone in Florida can't change the statute simply because they feel like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom