• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    I'm posting these pictures for Lou45. He doesn't have a camera and had me take a few pictures. This rifle came into his shop and he hasn't ever seen one. He's thinking about adding it to his collection, even though it doesn't really fit, because it's so unusual. I'm sure Lou will check in to see what the experts think.

Last edited:

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      66.6 KB · Views: 290

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    In 1920 King Vajiravudh also know as Rama VI ordered from BSA 10,000 No1 MkIII* for his volunteer force "The Wild Tigers"- This force also included the Royal Bodyguard.

Attachments

• SiameseScript_Medium_.jpg
      SiameseScript_Medium_.jpg
      15.6 KB · Views: 283

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Here's what the Handbook of Military Markings (by Hoffman and Schott) says about the tiger marking on a Thai Mark III*:

"Tiger emblem on the right buttstock socket of a Mark III* Enfield made by Birmingham Small Arms Co., (B.S.A.); with Thai serial number. It is believed that these Mark III* rifles were used in the 1930s. The Wild Tiger Corps was founded in 1911 as a volunteer force composed of public servants and included the royal bodyguard."

This image from your set of pictures matches that description and the drawing in the booklet.

Attachments

• IMG_20131016_173456.jpg
      IMG_20131016_173456.jpg
      40 KB · Views: 266

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Recently came across this gun and knew it had some form of rarity as I suspected not many were produced, not to mention the few remaining surviving examples in this nice of condition (good to very good), considering having come from Thailand, also known as Siam back in the prewar days. A few of these were imported on the surplus market back in the eighties by Springfield Sporters (IIRC) and most of them were in fair to near poor condition. Considering lee2's post with 10,000 manufactured, it's half the quantity produced as the NO1MK5, a somewhat redesigned NO1MK3 (especially the rear sight) by the Brits back in the twenties. This gun doesn't really fit into my collection as I'm not all that into collecting rare variants of Enfields so there may be a possibility I just might liberate this gun to a serious Enfield collector that would cherish having this gun in their collection.

Last edited:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Very hard to find on the secondary market. I've only seen one or two come up for sale in the last decade. Ran across one in a gunshop in my SW PA hometown and it was only in fair to poor condition, very rough. That was close to 20 yrs ago and I haven't seen another in the flesh since. That's one that if put on the magic grey blanket on Gun Broker would probably fetch well north of $1k.

UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    My initial reaction to the picture was: "Wow, that is pretty cool."

My second reaction to the picture was: "Oh my god, he is a pirate with two peg legs."

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    that rifle is in amazingly good condition considering the climate of the country it came from.

My Dad was stationed in Thailand during Vietnam, and the way he described it there is never a time when you're not sweating, and that plus the constant near 100% humidity rusted the living bejesus out of countless 1911s, as well as any other non protected steel left exposed to the air.

ksy95

Mar 11, 2013
    Holy crap, that's freaking awesome. That thing is in amazing condition too. I may want one more than a Jungle Carbine.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    1,000+ Siam No1 MkIII imported 1991-1992 with the bayonets. Neat to have one with matching bayonet in the metal scabbard. As to value, it's a contract rifle made by BSA for Siam not Commonwealth issue. Smallest contract was 86 rifles for some back ass country.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    who will start the bidding now?
    $50.00....;)

Attachments

• gavel.jpg
      gavel.jpg
      13.5 KB · Views: 111

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I guess I won! Lou stop by the shop Monday and Ill have cash! And I scrimped and saved and its USD this time not pesos!

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    better throw in a six pack and a large pizza. Lou aint no high school co-ed.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom