• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mudd4life88

Mar 18, 2009
    Essex, MD
    So I found a great deal on a C&R handgun at an auction out of state, being ran by an ffl01.

After winning this auction the seller tells me " due to the new law flyer for MD I cannot ship Cartridge Firing Antique Handguns to residents of MD"

He then goes on to tell me that this is dated Jan 2010.

Any truth to this or am I being snowballed? The auction was no reserve and went for much less then what the gun is worth.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    So I found a great deal on a C&R handgun at an auction out of state, being ran by an ffl01.

After winning this auction the seller tells me " due to the new law flyer for MD I cannot ship Cartridge Firing Antique Handguns to residents of MD"

Any truth to this or am I being snowballed? The auction was no reserve and went for much less then what the gun is worth.

Have him show you the flyer... It's B.S.

Mark

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    x2 MD law has no bearing on Interstate Commerce. tell him to produce the flyer, send handgun to you as proper Federal law allows, or pound sand.

mudd4life88

Mar 18, 2009
    Essex, MD
    I sent the guy an email asking for an emailed or faxed copy of the flyer.

I also tried calling the MSP firearm division. No answer, big surprise!

I then called the local barracks.They told me that they think the guy is right but to call the firearm's division to make sure, that they were trying to make it so only unregulated rifles could be brought in direct.:mad54:

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD

The answer is in your first sentence. You got a great deal, not him so he does not want to sell it to you. I have bought plenty of C&Rs off the internet so I feel comfortable making this assessment.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Never ask a trooper in a regular barracks about such laws on guns, only speak to a sgt. or higher rank at the firearms division about this and get them to reference the regulation or statute they are referring to.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I think (at least I hope) aquaman nailed the issue in this instance. At the same time I never underestimate the desire of some in power to make up their own laws as they go.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    This is worse than just C&R if it's true. This guy is saying "antique" cartridge firing handguns. You shouldn't need an FFL of any kind for an antique.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I think (at least I hope) aquaman nailed the issue in this instance. At the same time I never underestimate the desire of some in power to make up their own laws as they go.

I say all bolt bodies for mausers are regulated. You must now but them from me, I shall charge $400 for them. :innocent0;):D

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I say all bolt bodies for mausers are regulated. You must now but them from me, I shall charge $400 for them. :innocent0;):D

:lol2: You're a sick puppy Mr. C.! But as a treat to begin your house-breaking process I'll be bringing a repaired, stripped and freshly scrubbed (with BLO) Mauser stock to you for your admiration, approval and final fitting as soon as my GB "regulated" $35 bolt body shows up in my mailbox. :party29:
    :D

mudd4life88

Mar 18, 2009
    Essex, MD
    Never got a hold of anyone in the firearm's division and no response from the email I sent him. I'll try calling firearm's again tomorrow.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The way I read the OP, it's not a C&R issue, but a question re: Md status of pre 1899 ctg firing guns. ie Novus Specials .

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    The way I read the OP, it's not a C&R issue, but a question re: Md status of pre 1899 ctg firing guns. ie Novus Specials .

I think the reason used was a snow job and had nothing to do with antiques and the seller's explanation was either a really lame excuse, or a "new person to the laws" mistake.

There are at least two definitions of "antique" used in fed "firearms" and firearms law. One is the NFA and the other is the GCA. What we are talking here is the GCA (Gun Control Act) definition if it even applied to the discussion (which it does not as it seems to me so far). The GCA definition is ANY firearm made before 1899, regardless of if it fires cartridges available in normal commercial trade, is an "antique".
    But however this discussion is only about C&R as I read it and without further info I will still assume this for the interim and the seller's claim is still sounding like ********.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom