• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mudd4life88

Mar 18, 2009
    Essex, MD
    Have a friend with a No. 1 MK III Enfield. It is marked with G.R.I. 1943 on it. It looks like it's in pretty rough shape and has two red and a white stripe painted on it. Looking for some info on it if anyone could help. Thanks

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    its a trainer that was pulled from service. not for shooting.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Lee's correct, it'll be stamped DP all over to denote Drill Parade use only (non-firing). Good for a wall hanger only.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    being marked for DP doesnt necessarily mean its no good to fire, chances are its got a poor bore or worn parts or whatever, not necessarily dangerous, but do not fire it unless its thoroughly inspected for proper function, headspace etc.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    being marked for DP doesnt necessarily mean its no good to fire, chances are its got a poor bore or worn parts or whatever, not necessarily dangerous, but do not fire it unless its thoroughly inspected for proper function, headspace etc.

DP marked rifles are a touchy subject, esp. if one is considering putting one back into service. As an example: An order is placed for a quantity of DP rifles to be provided. SOP was for armorers to first select those rifles deemed unfit or obsolete. Note that obsolete rifles could still be safe to shoot. Then if the supply of unfit and obsolete rifles wasn't sufficient to fill the order functioning rifles were pulled for DP duty.
    The majority of DP marked Enfields I've run across were pulled due to their being unfit for service. It's a rare piece that was serviceable when marked for drill parade duty. And those examples retired due to obsolescence are uber rare. For example: I'm currently watching a turn of the century Enfield carbine that's come up for auction and it has the DP mark on the knox form. Was it pulled for DP due to wear or obsolescence? No way to know w.o. a detailed examination including checking head space and slugging the bore.
    For my part, there are so many shootable Enfields out there that the savings taking a risk on a DP rifle aren't worth my health. It's the same debate that owners of low SN 1903 Springfield rifles have been having for decades.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Better news! Sounds like someone might have restored a sporterized or damaged stock using a DP stock from Springfield Sporters. Doesn't sound like a DP rifle after all, it just has a DP stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom