• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    ...limit of some nice slabs from the Potomac area up above Seneca Breaks last Saturday. Water and current level still up a bit, they were hanging out in the slack water behind large boulders. Hitting little spinners and Gulp minnows dragged along the bottom with a splitshot sinker. Got a few little smallmouth as well, those weren't quite as active as I thought they would be. But no complaints here, nothing better than a plate of fried bluegill fillets.

Attachments

• gills-01.jpg
      gills-01.jpg
      156.3 KB · Views: 422

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    Saw about 20 in the shallows of my pond, about 6-12" deep, any thoughts on how to get them (yes, I could just dip a net in but that's no fun!)

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Saw about 20 in the shallows of my pond, about 6-12" deep, any thoughts on how to get them (yes, I could just dip a net in but that's no fun!)

They are doing that in my pond too.. Spawning. Drag about anything across them and they will try to get it out of their nests..

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    You eat those? When I was in middle school I would catch them with rolled up bread on a hook - but I thought they were garbage, caught for fun. I'd be interested to hear how they taste.

willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    some good sized ones in that pic! gooooood eating! Dipped in corn meal and fried!

What size gulp minnows?

use a trout magnet and lay it in there nests. It works good on spawning bass they remove the little foreign object almost every time.

bluegill killa

Attachments

• panfish 1.jpg
      panfish 1.jpg
      104.4 KB · Views: 356

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    They aren't bad at all! bread them in crushed salt n vinegar chips and they are out of this world. instant potatoes work pritty good too.
    You eat those? When I was in middle school I would catch them with rolled up bread on a hook - but I thought they were garbage, caught for fun. I'd be interested to hear how they taste.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes

I would be happy to show you how to use a fly rod!:D. Not much better than big gills on a fly!

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

I've had them go for a bare fish hook before. The small golden ones meant for a salmon egg work the best. Usually a few dumb ones bite the bare hook, while the rest need bait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom