• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    As I am in the saving mode for a SBR and a Can, I have a question.

On traveling across state lines, I understand the Form 5320.20 is needed to cross statelines, I live about 5 miles from freedom (the PA Stateline) and shoot in PA probably once a month.

Would I have to send a new form every month, based on my plans for the next month? or is there an easier way??

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    you only need to fax ATF for the SBR.

The suppressor can travel across state lines (to suppressor friendly states like PA) without telling ATF.

This is one reason I went with an integral over 16 inches.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    I understand about the can not needing the form, my question is there something I can do besides sending a new form every two or three weeks (for a SBR), because I plan on traveling from MD to PA every month to shoot.

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    I'm a bit confused (as usual). I was thinking of buying a GSG5K .22cal pistol adding a colapsable stock and suppressor (to the allready short/threaded barrel). Aside from first getting my stamp for the suppressor I would allso have to do a form 1 for converting a pistol into an SBR. Is my thought pattern correct or do I have it wrong?

the gsg5k is not on the md approved list:sad20: only the rifles and pistols are currently legal in md

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    The link to the ATF form 1 here. Can I fill that out and send it to ATF or do I have to order one from them directly?

GoufCustom

Jan 30, 2010
    MD
    My first Form 1

I am going the individual route, if my local CLEO will sign, do I need to have the MSP do a background check?

Can my local CLEO office do the fingerprint cards?

araugh

Laser Nerd
    Sep 2, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    FYI folks, the 2010 version of quicken willmaker DOES NOT include creating a living trust like the previous versions do. Don't waste your money like I did.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    FYI folks, the 2010 version of quicken willmaker DOES NOT include creating a living trust like the previous versions do. Don't waste your money like I did.

With ATF cracking down on Trust, I would hold off on all new Trust applications currently. Hopefully those of us who have been doing Trust transfers for years, and have established Trust will still be able to continue with our transfers. I'm 6 months into a Form 4 transfer on my origional Trust from March of '06. I hope I'm not getting caught up in the BS in WV !

I'm removing the Trust info from the FAQ until things get settled and ATF makes a ruling on Trust transfers.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    With ATF cracking down on Trust, I would hold off on all new Trust applications currently. Hopefully those of us who have been doing Trust transfers for years, and have established Trust will still be able to continue with our transfers. I'm 6 months into a Form 4 transfer on my origional Trust from March of '06. I hope I'm not getting caught up in the BS in WV !

I'm removing the Trust info from the FAQ until things get settled and ATF makes a ruling on Trust transfers.

Mine went through ok, so there doesn't seem to be a blanket rejection of Quicken trusts. Although I can't be sure, I think some of the issue is with people adjusting the listed trustees/beneficiaries in an inconsistent manner.

Even though the ATF does appear to be reviewing them more thoroughly, I see no reason not to go the trust route if it's appropriate for your situation.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I understand about the can not needing the form, my question is there something I can do besides sending a new form every two or three weeks (for a SBR), because I plan on traveling from MD to PA every month to shoot.

Yes, you can send a form that indicates that you will be traveling there on a regular basis and that form will work for the whole year... so once a year is all you need to do it, provided you tell them that you are going to be going there regularly. The ATF regulations cover this (I think it's 27 CFR 478 or 27 CFR 479.)

Mark

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Well I am confused as to the difference between the Delcaration of Trus and the Certification of Trust. What is the difference. I thought as long as you have a notorized copy of a Declaration of Trust and Schedule A sent with F4 you were good to go for a silencer. What is a Certification of Trust?

Is that still the way to go or is the ATF cracking down on these?

Dave

Last edited:

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Well I am confused as to the difference between the Delcaration of Trus and the Certification of Trust. What is the difference. I thought as long as you have a notorized copy of a Declaration of Trust and Schedule A sent with F4 you were good to go for a silencer. What is a Certification of Trust?

Is that still the way to go or is the ATF cracking down on these?

Dave

The Declaration of Trust is the full trust document that you send to the BATF with your Form 1 or Form 4. The Certification of Trust is an abbreviated version that basically just states your trust legally exists without going in to details. It's useless from an ATF standpoint, so no need to send it with an application.

As far as the ATF "cracking down" on trusts, I believe they may still be giving them a little more scrutiny than in times past, but they certainly aren't rejecting the legal ones, even if they were produced by Quicken Willmaker.

thatguy

Feb 25, 2010
    Guys, forgive my ignorance if this is common knowledge... I did try searching the forum here and also the ATF website... but I could not find. As for the $200 payment for the tax stamp on an SBR.... what are the acceptable forms of payment? Does it have to be a personal check, can it be a money order... like a postal money order? If thats acceptable, who should it be made payable to?

80thdiv313fa

Jul 8, 2009
    Maine
    Guys, forgive my ignorance if this is common knowledge... I did try searching the forum here and also the ATF website... but I could not find. As for the $200 payment for the tax stamp on an SBR.... what are the acceptable forms of payment? Does it have to be a personal check, can it be a money order... like a postal money order? If thats acceptable, who should it be made payable to?

Personal check or any type of money order may be used. Make it out to the Department of Justice.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I'll likely be picking up a .22 can at some point in the future. From what I've read (mostly here), you only need to do paperwork for the can itself and not each firearm you're planning on using it with. Is that correct?

(That's assuming that there's no SBR/AOW/etc. paperwork associated with the firearms; I'd just be swapping it between a "plain" pistol and rifle)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom