• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Good find. I'll keep that one handy.

What will drive most gun control folks bonkers is that Australia's draconian laws did nothing to help reduce violent crime.

1. Their violent crime levels were already much lower than in the US, and passing their laws didn't really change them.

2. Even though Australia hasn't had a publicized mass shooting since they passed their laws, neither has New Zealand, which has much less strict laws.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013

What will drive most gun control folks bonkers is that Australia's draconian laws did nothing to help reduce violent crime.

1. Their violent crime levels were already much lower than in the US, and passing their laws didn't really change them.

2. Even though Australia hasn't had a publicized mass shooting since they passed their laws, neither has New Zealand, which has much less strict laws.

1. Anti rights activists don't care about violent crime, or really crime in general. The ones calling for gun control are so far removed from the inner city where the majority of crime happens that they could care less. They have no fear that it will ever happen to them.

2. Their response, "LALALALALA NOT LISTENING!!!"

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    People who are really fighting for gun control don’t care about violent crime or even homicides for that matter. I’ve had numerous conversations with anti-gunners who said things like the navy yard shooting was “better off” because he didn’t have an “assault rifle”. When I asked about the Virginia tech shooter they claimed the same thing. If they had an AR, they would have killed many more.
    Some people don’t want to reduce homicides, violent crime, or even mass shootings. They just want to eliminate homicides with assault rifles. Even with them being a statistical negligible number, they don’t care. Look at the heart of Piers Morgans argument in how Brittan has very few homicides with fire arms. It doesn’t matter to him that their violent crime rates are actually one of the highest in the EU. But no one is being killed by guns.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Per the article, 700 police, 60 properties raided, 13 arrests, 4 guns seized. Now THAT is government efficiency.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Hewat, 58, was also charged with using threatening words in a public place after allegedly telling arresting officers: “I believe families are now on the line and fair go.”

Wow. Charged with using threatening words in public. HOW DARE HE HURT THOSE FEELINGS!!!

SirMrManGuy

Feb 14, 2010
    Taupo NZ

Just FYI, while NZ's laws are much less strict than Aus, and its pretty common outside of Auckland to own a rifle or shotgun, the laws are stricter than anything in the US.

The process to buy a gun looks like:
    1. Take a hunter safety course at the police station
    2. Apply for a firearms license, they call two references who you must have known for over a year
    3. Get a home inspection by a police officer (they inspect your safe and ammo storage). You must store your gun with the ammo separate.
    4. Get licence/buy long gun. The process can take up to 6 months.

To get handguns or EBR's you need another licence which is further work. No CCW either. The average gun owner has a bolt action in .270wsm or .308, a bolt action 22lr and maybe a pump shotgun. Its all based around hunting, self defense isn't even something they are used to talking about.

I'm not sure why we have lower crime than the US, its probably not about guns, more about the general culture. We have gangs and stuff but they are pretty harmless. In general there are 40 murders a year in a country with the population of Maryland and a landmass the size of California. When something happens its a big deal though.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Wow. Charged with using threatening words in public. HOW DARE HE HURT THOSE FEELINGS!!!

He was telling the arresting officers that retribution against their families should be expected.

I think the extra charges are warranted - also I think a knee to the groin wouldn't go amiss, either.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    Just FYI, while NZ's laws are much less strict than Aus, and its pretty common outside of Auckland to own a rifle or shotgun, the laws are stricter than anything in the US.

2. Apply for a firearms license, they call two references who you must have known for over a year
    3. Get a home inspection by a police officer (they inspect your safe and ammo storage). You must store your gun with the ammo separate.

To get handguns or EBR's you need another licence which is further work. No CCW either. The average gun owner has a bolt action in .270wsm or .308, a bolt action 22lr and maybe a pump shotgun. Its all based around hunting, self defense isn't even something they are used to talking about.

I'm not sure why we have lower crime than the US, its probably not about guns, more about the general culture. We have gangs and stuff but they are pretty harmless. In general there are 40 murders a year in a country with the population of Maryland and a landmass the size of California. When something happens its a big deal though.

^ Sounds like the modern MD.

SilverBulletZ06

May 31, 2012

You answer your own question.

DavidMS

Feb 23, 2013
    Fairfax VA
    No such thing as a gun problem.

If someone has a "gun problem," that means to me that they best seek mental health services.

If someone sees a criminal violence problem, its best addressed via fixing social and economic policy.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    The gun control folks always like to use the phrases "gun crime" and "gun murders" and ignore the overall crime and murders. They think it's somehow better if someone is stabbed or beaten to death than shot. When you're dead, you're dead.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    Just an aside. I looks like from one of the pictures Australian law enforcement carries S&W M&P's. I'm guessing in 9 mm rather than .40 because it is more common overseas.

Feb 28, 2013
    1. Anti rights activists don't care about violent crime, or really crime in general. The ones calling for gun control are so far removed from the inner city where the majority of crime happens that they could care less. They have no fear that it will ever happen to them.

Of course not. Because it's all about control. Anything that even LOOKS like it would give the slightest tactical edge against a tyrannical government is to be targetted.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County

Oh I know that NZ is more strict than the US. My point was at the relative change between AUS and NZ.

And I tend to agree regarding your comments on culture. I'll call out Baltimore in particular. Roughly 80% of homicide suspects and victims have criminal records. 45% of homicide suspects have a prior arrest for a gun-related crime. We have a culture of crime and violence in Baltimore that seems Hell-bent on killing itself, while largely leaving everyone else alone. Here's the source, from the Baltimore Sun no less.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom