Newbie MoCo resident (The straw that broke the camel's back)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jhason

Jan 29, 2009
    MontCo
    Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie pistol owner and a member living in the Gaithersburg area. I'm an ex-Marine and finally got the go ahead from the wifey to purchase a pistol for home defense. The straw that broke the camel's back is a the trend of burglaries that has been hitting the Montgomery Village and Flower Hill community (Police Alert Gaithersburg Communities to Nighttime Residential Burglary Trend http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/Apps/Police/News/NA_details.asp?NaID=4573) and also some punk spray painted my wooden fence in my townhouse. After that happened I've become paranoid since I'm not sure if the act was random or if I was specifically being targeted. Since then I've bought 2 sanders to get rid of the graffiti, high powered flashlights, 2 folding tactical knives, 1 fixed knife, high decibel alarm, and will be looking to replace my outdoor light with a motion sensored ones. Also, yesterday I went to Atlantic Guns and placed an order for a Glock 23. I'll have to wait 7-8 days for the paper work to clear.

Jhason

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Welcome aboard. Crime is way up in Moco...about 7-8% over the last year. Be sure to write your delegates and state senator and let them know why you purchased a gun and that you want their support for pro-self-defense bills.

You can find out who they are here:

http://mlis.state.md.us/

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Welcome to MDShooters.

Get your C&R and you will not have to wait seven days when purchasing C&R handguns from out of state. You could tell your wife you are getting the license to get a spare handgun much cheaper (the license is thirty dollars and you can buy some C&R revolvers, shipped, for seventy dollars and some semi auto C&R handguns for about $180 shipped to your door).

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie pistol owner and a member living in the Gaithersburg area. I'm an ex-Marine and finally got the go ahead from the wifey to purchase a pistol for home defense. The straw that broke the camel's back is a the trend of burglaries that has been hitting the Montgomery Village and Flower Hill community (Police Alert Gaithersburg Communities to Nighttime Residential Burglary Trend http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/Apps/Police/News/NA_details.asp?NaID=4573) and also some punk spray painted my wooden fence in my townhouse. After that happened I've become paranoid since I'm not sure if the act was random or if I was specifically being targeted. Since then I've bought 2 sanders to get rid of the graffiti, high powered flashlights, 2 folding tactical knives, 1 fixed knife, high decibel alarm, and will be looking to replace my outdoor light with a motion sensored ones. Also, yesterday I went to Atlantic Guns and placed an order for a Glock 23. I'll have to wait 7-8 days for the paper work to clear.

Jhason

Welcome, from a fellow, ahem, "former active duty Marine." Good on you and your wife for taking things over and being proactive.

MoCO home invasions happen pretty much every week -they just don't all get reported as such. I track known/suspected home invasions on my blog (but it needs updating for the past two weeks). It is pretty out of control in MoCO, esp. by where you are.

What kills me is that the MoCO PD doesn't seem to classify them as "home invasions" unless the resident is confronted and robbed (as you can see in your link).

In one instance, a guy broke into an occupied house and stole things while the residents were watching TV or doings things in other rooms in the house. That was classified in the crime report as a "theft." Later, that same suspect was arrested for a "real" home invasion that either left the resident dead or in the hospital (can't remember). The police backpedaling over the first report tipped me off to the true scope of the under-reporting.:tdown:

Trey

Aug 20, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    A while back someone posted a website where you could scroll around a map of your area and see the crimes reported in the last X number of days (think it was 30). Does anyone still have that link handy?

jhason

Jan 29, 2009
    MontCo
    C&R?

Hey guys thank you all for the warm welcome. Of course I'm a newbie, so I must ask what is a C&R?

Jhason

Welcome to MDShooters.

Get your C&R and you will not have to wait seven days when purchasing C&R handguns from out of state. You could tell your wife you are getting the license to get a spare handgun much cheaper (the license is thirty dollars and you can buy some C&R revolvers, shipped, for seventy dollars and some semi auto C&R handguns for about $180 shipped to your door).

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Welcome, from a fellow, ahem, "former active duty Marine." Good on you and your wife for taking things over and being proactive.

MoCO home invasions happen pretty much every week -they just don't all get reported as such. I track known/suspected home invasions on my blog (but it needs updating for the past two weeks). It is pretty out of control in MoCO, esp. by where you are.

What kills me is that the MoCO PD doesn't seem to classify them as "home invasions" unless the resident is confronted and robbed. In one instance, a guy broke into an occupied house and stole things while the residents were watching TV or doings things in other rooms in the house. That was classified in the crime report as a "theft." Later, that same suspect was arrested for a "real" home invasion that either left the resident dead or in the hospital (can't remember). The police backpedaling over the first report tipped me off to the true scope of the under-reporting.:tdown:
    Remember that pregnant woman stabbed in broad daylight in Bethesda last month? Well the police came out saying it was "suspicuous" casting doubt on her word and then proceeded to tell everyone to calm down, Bethesda is perfectly safe......but less than a week earlier a man was mugged in broad daylight by two thugs with a knife not too far from where the woman was stabbed, but everyone in Bethesda "is safe". :rolleyes:

I honestly think senator Brian Frosh or some other local politician had a hand in getting the police there to downplay the crime. The last thing he would want is his constituents to feel fearful while he is there claiming they do not have a need to have a self defense tool as he blocks any self defense bill.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Hey guys thank you all for the warm welcome. Of course I'm a newbie, so I must ask what is a C&R?

Jhason
    A Curio and Relics Federal Firearms License. With it you can recieve C&R firearms over state lines and buy them when in another state as well.

The poster here, Coinboy, made a video describing it:

ssjones

Nov 22, 2008
    Atlantic treated me pretty good on the recent purchase of my Ruger SP101 for the same reasons you mention. We had an escaped murder from MCI on the loose in this area last week!

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    C&R is short for Curio and Relic. A classification by the BATF&E for any and all firearms older than 50 years and not antique. Also some firearms that are on a published list(Goggle C&R Guns). Several small/medium framed auto loading pistols are on the "LIST". The C&R is a true federal firearms license that allows you to purchase C&R firearms over the Internet or just plain out of state and have them shipped directly to your door, thus saving you the fee a dealer would charge you to do the required paperwork for you. The fee for the C&R is $30.00, about the same fee for one transfer by a dealer. It will also get you a very nice discount from several companies if you get "The bug" and find yourself buying, buying and then buying a little more.
    Remember in Maryland you CANNOT shoot someone for vandalizing your property. I know you did NOT say you wanted to! Maryland has some very strict laws governing handguns, do yourself a favor and research as much as you can and ask as many questions here as you can. Don't worry about stupid questions, I have already asked most of them and would like to hear them answered again.
    Thank you for your service to your/our Country

TOWcritter

Self Sufficent Sovereign
    Hi Folks,

Jhason

No Such Thing........You sir must have Mis-spoken.:envy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom