• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    No worries. Lots of good info here. I just need to decide on how to proceed with the SBR when the time comes.

After FSA2013, how short of a barrel can we have? Are we listed to 29"OAL?

No limits on barrel length as long as OAL is >29''. Generally though, a 10.5'' barrel will get you there without having to get screwy with the stock.

Clutch

Jan 10, 2013
    Severn
    No limits on barrel length as long as OAL is >29''. Generally though, a 10.5'' barrel will get you there without having to get screwy with the stock.

Please excuse any ignorance on my part. I'm knocking rust off having basically punted Oct.1 2013 after going hard up to 9/30.

Refreshing myself with the MD legislation and how it was actually implemented since 10/13 just makes me want to punch myself in the teeth, pick 'em up, and move out of the state...:mad54:

So SBR's are governed by this criteria/requirement to be >29" OAL with stock extended and any removable brake/hider removed?

Is this a MD state restriction? How would anyone build an SBR with a barrel of say 9", etc? 10.5 would be, as you mentioned, coming in right at about 29". The AK pistols I see up for sale and potential SBR conversion likely are about the same, right at 29"

Back when I piled up receivers/lowers pre-10/1/2013, the going thought was lowers would not be for sale in MD thereafter. This is one reason folks were dedicating lowers to SBR trusts at the time. Now, as you also stated, it makes sense to save these for 16" rigs, etc. Unless, said pre 10/13 lower is already declared and built out on a trust as a SBR.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Please excuse any ignorance on my part. I'm knocking rust off having basically punted Oct.1 2013 after going hard up to 9/30.

Refreshing myself with the MD legislation and how it was actually implemented since 10/13 just makes me want to punch myself in the teeth, pick 'em up, and move out of the state...:mad54:

So SBR's are governed by this criteria/requirement to be >29" OAL with stock extended and any removable brake/hider removed? In Md. correct

Is this a MD state restriction? YesHow would anyone build an SBR with a barrel of say 9", etc? 10.5 would be, as you mentioned, coming in right at about 29". The AK pistols I see up for sale and potential SBR conversion likely are about the same, right at 29" There are a couple threads here dealing with different options for getting to 29'' with shorter barrels. Search the NFA sub forum for those.

Back when I piled up receivers/lowers pre-10/1/2013, the going thought was lowers would not be for sale in MD thereafter. This is one reason folks were dedicating lowers to SBR trusts at the time. Now, as you also stated, it makes sense to save these for 16" rigs, etc. Unless, said pre 10/13 lower is already declared and built out on a trust as a SBR. This one gets a little fuzzy to me(IANAL) being as that so are saying your lowers were dedicated to SBRs pre FSA2013. You should be able to still put 16'' and longer uppers on them, I'm just not clear as to weather you can put medium-light profile barrels on them in Md. Hope I didn't add any more cobwebs.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Funny how the Copycat provision applies, but not the barrel diameter limitation on new AR rifles or the ban on certain "rifles", that might be handguns. So, AK-47 rifles are banned, but you can get an AK-47 pistol. Then, a la the San Bernardino terrorists, you can just order a stock and build an illegal rifle right before going out the door and murdering people. The laws make no sense.

I am steering clear of all the unknowns and just going HBAR on the SBR builds with AR-15 HBAR builds. Granted, even that is gray since the Colt HBAR Sporter did not have a barrel shorter than 16".

Ask me how much I despise FSA2013.

OP - sorry for the thread hijack.

This surprises you? :D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Back when I piled up receivers/lowers pre-10/1/2013, the going thought was lowers would not be for sale in MD thereafter. This is one reason folks were dedicating lowers to SBR trusts at the time. Now, as you also stated, it makes sense to save these for 16" rigs, etc. Unless, said pre 10/13 lower is already declared and built out on a trust as a SBR.

They weren't. But MSP changed their minds in summer of 14. IIRC, there was a law suit contending that stripped lowers are legal, as they can be built into legal configurations (for AR, pistol, HBAR, or SBR).

Yes, if you have a tax stamp from before 10/1/13, they you can build to that tax stamp.

Actually, MSP did not start requiring the 29" until about May 2014, IIRC. Before that, people got tax stamps for less than 29" SBRs. And there was a period where some were approved and some were not.

But, bottom line, if you have a tax stamp for a less than 29" SBR, you can build down the parameters on your tax stamp.

Clutch

Jan 10, 2013
    Severn
    Thanks Outrider.

They weren't. But MSP changed their minds in summer of 14. IIRC, there was a law suit contending that stripped lowers are legal, as they can be built into legal configurations (for AR, pistol, HBAR, or SBR).

Yes, if you have a tax stamp from before 10/1/13, they you can build to that tax stamp.

Actually, MSP did not start requiring the 29" until about May 2014, IIRC. Before that, people got tax stamps for less than 29" SBRs. And there was a period where some were approved and some were not.

But, bottom line, if you have a tax stamp for a less than 29" SBR, you can build down the parameters on your tax stamp.

Thanks for the info. Based on that lawsuit you mention, it seems AK receivers should be available for purchase at local dealers as well. Two of the three build options for AR's are available for AK's (pistol & SBR); at least as I understand it.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Finally got the trust signed/notarized/and funded!!!

Does ATF get everything - All schedules or just actual trust up to and including signature page without schedules?

If you don't have any NFA items then you don't need to send a Schedule A yet.
    When you purchase an NFA item and get your stamp back, then it may be entered on your schedule A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    If you don't have any NFA items then you don't need to send a Schedule A yet.
    When you purchase an NFA item and get your stamp back, then it may be entered on your schedule A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks my friend, I had the same question and you answered it! :)

Cal68

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom