• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    The good old 100gr thunder head is all u really need. I dont buy into all the hype of mechanical broadheads. Especially the rage. I have seen and heard they dont always open. Too inconsistant for me. Plus no worry about a fixed blade not deploying.

stan5677

Sep 29, 2012
    Don't mean to hijack your page but i am also looking to for my first hunting trip. just need some good knowledgable people to go out with. PM me if interested

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Does anyone have access to private hunting land? I just hunted McKee-Beshers again this week, and didn't see any deer.

Private hunting land? Yes. In MD? Not as long as I am on this side of the fescue. :lol2:

The best option I can give you is to talk to some farmers and see if you can lease hunting rights from them for deer season(s).

I hunt in Morgan County, WV, and it is a family only event.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    Hey dude I'm in the same boat as you. Just took up an interest in hunting never been. I also live in Fredneck but am moving to Poolesville in December. It'd be cool to go hunting with some experienced folks!! You gonna hunt deer or geese or what?

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    Hey dude I'm in the same boat as you. Just took up an interest in hunting never been. I also live in Fredneck but am moving to Poolesville in December. It'd be cool to go hunting with some experienced folks!! You gonna hunt deer or geese or what?

This place u are moving in poolesville, is it huntable?

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    This place u are moving in poolesville, is it huntable?

I'm moving into my buddy's townhouse, but tons of hunting area around the city for sure.

I know a couple of farmers, one of which I know hunts but haven't asked either yet about hunting.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'm moving into my buddy's townhouse, but tons of hunting area around the city for sure.

I know a couple of farmers, one of which I know hunts but haven't asked either yet about hunting.

Asking them for permission to hunt their land would be the easiest thing to do. The worst that happens is you have to lease the hunting rights from the farmer or they outright say no. Depending on the size of the herd(s) on the farmers property you may be able to get permission to hunt it without having to lease the hunting rights for the season. If you do decide to ask the farmers for permission, I hope that they do say yes, without making you lease hunting rights from them.

madmattmd

Aug 17, 2006
    The Frozen North
    As stated by others, you need to have a Hunter Safety course. The IWLA in Frederick has two more classes this year (http://www.frederickiwla.org/).

If the courses at Izaak Walton don't work for you, you may be able to find another class on the Maryland DNR website (http://www.dnr.state.md.us/nrp_classes.asp).

You should register as early as possible as the classes fill up quickly and most groups that teach Hunter Eductation are done for the year. The DNR is pushing for HE teaching to add a class at the end of October - beginning of November as there is apparently a large demand for classes. I know that we had a waiting list at our October class at Mayberry. The problem with trying to squeeze in another class is that the majority of our Instructors are not available because they're out hunting.

Good luck and be safe.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom