• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jleemd99

Oct 30, 2011
    Catonsville, Maryland
    Hi All,

I'm new to shooting and don't have much if any hands-on experience with firearms. I'm interested in properly learning technique with an instructor, and looking for some guidance. Are there any recommended shooting ranges, and do they usually offer any training courses, or would I go and find an instructor to teach me?

I was referred here by my local bass pro shop. The salesman was super helpful and recommended starting with a Marlin 975 (.22 LR) for learning purposes, and from the reviews I've read online and on youtube, it seems like a great entry rifle to learn with.

Just looking for any feedback or suggestions on how to get started.

jleemd99

Oct 30, 2011
    Catonsville, Maryland
    Thanks for the info. I checked it out and it looks like a nice range. I'm in the Ellicott City area, but I haven't found any ranges close too close to here through googling.

Ultimate Member
    Hi All,

I'm new to shooting and don't have much if any hands-on experience with firearms. I'm interested in properly learning technique with an instructor, and looking for some guidance. Are there any recommended shooting ranges, and do they usually offer any training courses, or would I go and find an instructor to teach me?

I was referred here by my local bass pro shop. The salesman was super helpful and recommended starting with a Marlin 975 (.22 LR) for learning purposes, and from the reviews I've read online and on youtube, it seems like a great entry rifle to learn with.

Just looking for any feedback or suggestions on how to get started.

If you buy a gun from this place by bass pro called on target they usually give you some free range time or an hour with an instructor. They people there are pretty good and have a good record with working with new shooters. In addition I know some other instructors use that range. Lastly, a lot of people on this forum are usually friendly (there are a few democrats that cause a lot of trouble) and would be willing to help. After all, you probably would be going to the same ranges as them.

Just remember the basic safety rules, always keep your gun pointed in a safe direction and don't touch the trigger until you are going to shoot.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Let us know where you live, so a instructor and range can be suggested. Oh and welcome to the forum from Southern Maryland.

Mdeng

Fionnros

Fight Crime, Shoot Back!
    Apr 15, 2011
    Harford County
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...8.912407,-77.393188&spn=3.064432,4.938354&z=8

Bart showed me this...click on the MDShooters symbol up top. Then on the left under 'Links' you'll find a MD Shooting Ranges. Nice link there.

Keep your eye out on the forum, many will post up when they are planning to go to the range. Find one in your area and see if you can tag along. The best kind of lesson is the one on one type. In my opinion at least.
    Bart_man and I love going to Delta, but now that it's getting cold, we'll probably go to indoor ranges till March or so.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Welcome to the forum!

Like Mdeng stated, let us know where you live. I shoot at the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore ranges in Marriottsville and at FreeState in White Marsh. I offer classes at both locations.

jleemd99

Oct 30, 2011
    Catonsville, Maryland
    I'm in the eastern Ellicott City area not far from rte 29 and I-70. I just picked up the Marlin 975 and a box of ammo at my local Dick's Sporting Goods. The guy who sold me the ammo, sold me 22 Remington Thunderbolt ammo, but the owner's manual doesn't suggest Thunderbolt varierty 22's. Should I get another type of ammo?

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    I didnt see 975 on Marlins website, I did see a 795. If it is a .22LR gun you can shoot any .22LR ammunition in it. Some may work better than others as far as gun functioing or intended pupose of the bullet.

PipeHitter1316

, , Engage Instructor
    Industry Partner
    Oct 2, 2011
    If you need some in depth instruction check back with Enage Armament LLC. Im the firearms instructor there and i would love to have you aboard!! Im teaching basic pistol, rifle, and shotgun some where in the Jan-Dec time frame for pretty cheap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom