• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    I have stuff to load for 30-06, I plan on getting into .308, BUT I saw a decent 30/30 I am interested in. IF I am correct all .30 call bullets will suit my needs(possibly not for the 30/30 I know you can cast bullets for them but that is above me right now).

Am I right in thinking I just need to pick a weight and shape and I'm good???

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I have stuff to load for 30-06, I plan on getting into .308, BUT I saw a decent 30/30 I am interested in. IF I am correct all .30 call bullets will suit my needs(possibly not for the 30/30 I know you can cast bullets for them but that is above me right now).

30/30 is a different monster.

308 and '06 bullets will work together in harmony.:heart:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Tubular magazines require blunt nosed bullets , unless you single load , or at most have one in chamber and one in mag. (There are single shot and bolt action .30-30s , but just going with the odds)
    You can load bullets intented for .30-30 in an '06 , etc , and I have occasionally heard of it, but be mindful of intended impact vels and reduced BCs.

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009

Why have 3 guns that do practically the same job and need 3 kinds of ammo? It is like having a 1 ton dually, a 3/4 ton truck and a half ton for the little jobs. Why not get a .243 and load 30-06 150gr and 180gr? Buy another 30-06 like a 22" mountain rifle with a laminated stock or something? Maybe have a really nice stainless 30-06 and a "beater" for hunting on rainy days?

:party29:

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    IF I am correct all .30 call bullets will suit my needs.

NO!

As people already pointed out, the bullets differ in shape. Both have the same diameter of .308 but look completely different. The typical 308 rifle bullets have a rather low drag and are pointy. The bullets for 30-30 do have the same diameter but a less pronounced ogive and either a round or flat point.

This is a typical 30-30 bullet
    images

And these are typical 308 bullets
    308linex580.jpg

While the two can be interchanged since they typically have the same mass, the 30-30 bullet is not as areodynamically optimized and will drop faster. As described, the 308 will cause trouble in the tubular magazines of most lever action rifles.
    When you reload rifle rounds with cast bullets, you usually don't have the same requirements for high velocity and long range. So for ease of casting and loading, lead bullets for the 308 and 30-30 look pretty similar.
    So no, your dream from a single bullet for both calibers is pretty much pointless unless you want to have a significant reduction in performance or in safety.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan

I've loaded 30-06 for 30 years. I'm sure I can help or give advice
    or much of what you need.:):thumbsup:

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    If the 30-30 is a Marlin with micro groove rifling - you may want to watch using cast bullets. If Im not mistaken, it is not recommended to use a cast bullet in micro gooved Marlin barrels due to lead build up - sorta like the Glock issue.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    From my experience, IF you're going to load cast boolits in a "Micro-groove" barrel, you need to watch three things.

• Bullet hardness. (Get the boolit as hard as possible, to lessen barrel leading.) I would use gas-checked ("GC") boolits, personally.

• Size your boolits a couple of thousandths (.002") larger than the bore to ensure a good 'fit'.

• Velocity. Get the boolit moving too fast, and you'll have a recipe for leading and less accuracy.

I suggest to 'pass by' the .30-30 and go with the following calibers:

.308/7.62x51mm
    .30-'06 Springfield
    .45-70 Gov't.

While I have a .243, I'm not a big fan of that caliber. (I got it so that my son could shoot something with a bit of 'umph' and not punish his young shoulder.)

lensman

lensman
    Mar 14, 2012
    Near Annapolis
    Interchanging high-velocity and low-velocity bullets

I have reloaded extensively for all three calibers.

Sierra and most other bullet manufacturers specify "30-30 Win." in their listing for bullets suitable for that caliber. Since it operates at a significantly lower velocity than the other two, appropriate bullets need to expand "easier" in the game animal. Shooting such a bullet at 30-'06 velocity might cause them it to break up and not be effective. Conversely, shooting the bullets intended for .308 or 30-'06 (assuming that bullet points don't cause an explosion in the magazine tube of the typical lever carbine) could result in insufficient expansion to take the game.

Some years ago, I read an article on "gallery loads" for reduced noise/recoil in the 30-'06. These specialized loads involved increasing the flash hole size in the 30-'06 case and using a 30-30 bullet with a light powder charge. I've done a preliminary on-line search but can't find the info. Anyone else out there remember this?

Lensman

Last edited:

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Something else to watch out for.
    30-30 bullets marked for that actual round, do not tend to behave well at 308/30-06 velocities & spin rates. I once loaded some 30-30 bullets into a .308 for plinking loads & they literally disintegrated in flight splattering a big grey smudge with lots of pinprick holes at 15yds. They literally fell apart right after exiting the muzzle. At 25 yds there was no trace on the target of any bullet at all.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    You better start with .45 auto because you gonna need em. just remember, 9s are cheaper.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I ment it seriously and not a smack at you Ken, however since it was viewed that way........:lol2:

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    I ment it seriously and not a smack at you Ken, however since it was viewed that way........:lol2:

Come on brother, it's all good. I know you are right though. I got a "few more" die sets to buy. Trust me, 9mm is def on the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom