• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Took my .22 to the range and shot through 120 rounds. When I got home, I cleaned the barrel with a bore snake and then used a "cotton swab" from my kit to clean it again and put a little oil on the inside.

I'm new to owning a gun, so is there anything else I should be doing? Got any tips for a newb? (Tried a search but kept getting a fatal error!)

Echo

Troublemaker
    Oct 31, 2012
    Annapolis
    Yea, you can't use the word "gun" when searching for anything.

What are you shooting, rifle or handgun?

Basically just try to remove any carbon that gets built up. Let some oil sit for a minute then use a rag or swabs to clean it off. Then just put a light coat to keep it running smooth. Don't put any in the trigger or hammer area, doing so can lead to dust buildup that could jam something.

Everyone has their way of cleaning, some are extreme, some are non-existent so it depends what you have and how dirty it is.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    More 22s rimfires barrels get ruined from over cleaning there is no need to clean the barrel with 120 shots . Just wipe the outsides off with a oiled rag .

spanokopita

Nov 3, 2012
    I throw mine in the dishwasher...gotta make sure it's full of Jet Dry first though!

No, really...I wet down a Bore Snake with maybe 1/2 tsp of CLP close to the string, then run it through 3 times. That's just for basic shooting of non-corrosive ammo. For a 10/22, I'll occasionally (once every few months) try and wipe out the receiver with Q-tips and shop rags; then chuck some lube in there. .22lr cartridges are often dirty and leave a lot of case lube, soot, and even unburnt powder, especially if you buy the cheaper bulk stuff.

Mostly, I use CLP because I buy it in bottles with "drip" applicators. It's just a lot easier to keep from making a mess compared to Hoppes #9.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Ya know, X-Ring supply in Newark DE brought Eesox in for me. I bought two cans. Go get some guys, K31 swears by it. I really have no experience with it yet, been two busy with other stuff.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    There are many ways to clean a gun (long gun or handgun). There are no tricks...it's very simple. The biggest mistake many shooters make when cleaning a firearm is they over-lube it. A little goes a LONG way. Too much oil is worse than none at all. Look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZf4mUM10Vc

and ALWAYS do a complete function check when the weapon is reassembled after cleaning it.

Shoot safely and shoot often!

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    For 22 rimfires: I like to use degreaser, and a semi-synthetic motor oil for cleaning and lubing my guns. After a trip to the range...the least you can due to your gun --- besides an outside metal wipedown --- is an oil saturated Q-Tip penetration of the 22 chamber {due to sweaty hands}; then run a dry one.

I do like bore snakes...with insertion of the snake thru the muzzle first --- so I don't fill the reciever with oil from the bore snake pull.

I do have a problem with the current 525 round 22 Blazer bulk pack --- which seems to be bottom of the barrel production --- that have the rounds coated with a waxy lube, with the resulting clogging up my Kimber's match grade chamber --- with a resulting failure to eject; though my Ruger 10-22 seems to run fine with it.

To extract the spent round in my bolt action 22 Kimber Classic...I have to press the extractor bar down with my finger --- while working the bolt with my other hand.

Otherwise...I have to get a thin bladed wooden dowel to work the spent or live round, out of the chamber. After that...I saturate a Q-Tip with degreaser --- and swab out the dirty chamber --- then run a dry Q-Tip.

Seems to work fine for about 30-50 rounds --- then I usually have to run the cleaning process all over again.

Last edited:

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Thanks for all the thoughts. Sounds like I am doing the right things with it. Got some $$ from my grandparents for Christmas-- new tires for my truck and a membership at Free State. Sweet!

Ruger556

Jan 10, 2012
    Central Maryland
    Took my .22 to the range and shot through 120 rounds. When I got home, I cleaned the barrel with a bore snake and then used a "cotton swab" from my kit to clean it again and put a little oil on the inside.

I'm new to owning a gun, so is there anything else I should be doing? Got any tips for a newb? (Tried a search but kept getting a fatal error!)

In addition to the good cleaning advice above.....don't waste your money on cheap lead ammo. Spend a little more and shoot jacketed ammo only.....no lead build-up in that small .22 bore.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I don't think I have ever run a brush of a patch or anything down the bore of my old Marlin 781 bolt action tube rifle since the day I got it as a kid. There's not much there to worry about. That little pea-shooter is still dead on the money after all these years.

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    Best advice I heard was "there is such a thing as too much of a good thing". Don't drench your firearm in cleaning solutions, lubricant, etc. Use the recommended amount, no more.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I'm new to rimfire but I've been cleaning the bore when I see accuracy suffer and the reciever area when I get failures. But with CCI minimags in my autoloader I'm going 500+ rounds before I get either it seems. I'm cleaning the bolt,breech reciever area before the minimags have given me a hint of trouble. lots of opinions you have to read and go with what makes sense to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom