• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    IMO "multi cal modular" cans do have their place, and newer designs are awesome, but they are not without limitations. The primary one being rimfire. 22 is filthy, so it has to be user serviceable, but most all 22s are blowback and direct thread, so mounting and backpressure aren't a problem. There is also little gas at relatively low pressure/velocity, so a small 1x5" can with baffles designed for a ton of cross jetting works great, and it can be really light with steel baffles, and only a couple oz with aluminum or titanium. Pistol cans need more volume, but still run at relatively low pressures, backpressure is more important, as is a modular mount being you might need direct thread, a booster, or 3 lug depending on application, you also have a 9mm or 45cal bore, so they are less efficient with 22 calibers, and are not always efficient on rifles, being the higher volume/velocity of gas compared to pistols increases backpressure a LOT as baffles are designed for more and more cross jetting.

Rifle cans have to be strong, especially with FA or short barrel ratings, so they are heavy with steel, or expensive with titanium. Welded cans work well in rifles, no real need to take them apart, they are stronger, lighter, and there is less to go wrong than a serviceable can. Rifle cans also need a LOT more volume and backpressure in semi-autos is a huge consideration, pretty much giving rise to flow-through cans, or baffles with relief ports instead of heavy cross jetting clips. There is also the strategy of using a small can with less muzzle suppression being a rifle is already large, cans add a lot of length and forward weight, and won't be really quiet with supersonic ammo anyway.

That Banish 30 is expensive, relatively light at 13oz being titanium, but at 1.6x8" it's really big. Good for bench rifles, or chasing really quiet 300BO, but IMO is too big with too much backpressure to be a great all-around can, especially on ARs. I did demo one, and it was on a bolt-action 300BO, really impressive, but yea, it's huge, and wasn't quite as good as the Nomad L, that can is about the same size, but less expansive/heavier due to steel baffles.

My advise, with the same $1699 budget would be a SiCo 36M and a Rugged Oculus, both are modular in length, both sound really good, they come in at that budget including stamps, and you have a good rimfire K and full size, pistol, rifle, K and full size rifle cans. Only real downsides are that it isn't as quiet as the larger 8" cans like the Nomad L on a bench gun, and it's heavy/fat for handguns. The other way would be a 22 can, a YHM R9 for a small, low backpressure K /9mm can, and a resonator 30 for the best suppression in rifle calibers. In any case, pretty much anything other than a dedicated rimfire can on a rimfire host will be disappointing once you try a 22 can. I would use a rifle rated 9mm can on 22-30cal rifles before I would use a 22 rifle can on a 22 rimfire.
    Good points, Currently I have a Rugged .45 which handles my .45, 9mm, 220gr 300BO rounds well. I have a Spectre II for my .22 can and a Bowers .50 for my .50Beo that can be used on other calibers depending on the velocity. The 50 can really tames the rifle quite a bit.

My next can will be a .30 cal for 556/7.62 ARs. The Banish would be ok for those but pricey. I was looking at something to cover bolt guns and ARs.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Good points, Currently I have a Rugged .45 which handles my .45, 9mm, 220gr 300BO rounds well. I have a Spectre II for my .22 can and a Bowers .50 for my .50Beo that can be used on other calibers depending on the velocity. The 50 can really tames the rifle quite a bit.

My next can will be a .30 cal for 556/7.62 ARs. The Banish would be ok for those but pricey. I was looking at something to cover bolt guns and ARs.
    Much depends on your mounts/hosts, if you already use Rugged muzzle devices on the 300BO, then the Micro 30 or Razor 7.62 would be good all-around. They are only available in Rugged's mount though, if you want to use another brand muzzle device, then there are a lot more options.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    I'm in a similar s(h)ituation. I'd be using it on AR's (two of which are SBRd) and bolt guns (.308, 7.62x39, and .223). I'm looking at a Nomad 30 or an Enticer S (or maybe L). I'd be using the Xeno adaptor.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    after get my first suppressor in dec of 2022, i would recommend getting a suppressor that can be used on the majority of the firearms you own regardless of the caliber. once you shoot suppressed you will want to suppress everything. as other have said even though some rifles will not be hearing safe. the concussion and recoil from the muzzle will be reduced. when tuning my ar's i went with a bcg made by bootleg that is adjustable. it was easier than going to adjustable gas block. i have about 600 rounds through one and haven't had an issue.

i have a 36m so i can't speak to any other experience on different cans. i also stuck with the asr mounts/muzzle devices since that came with the 36m. i have another can in jail for pistol calibers hopefully in couple of months it will be out. i plan on getting a 5.56 can and a .22 can. i am not sure which one will be next. but i am glad i got something like the 36m. until i can get other cans i have something that i can shoot with all of my calibers from 9mm on down to 5.56. i recommend a supressor cover for when you want to switch the can at the range or a welding glove works too.

and it is like anything else, very addictive. every firearm purchase since getting a can has to have a threaded barrel. if it cant be suppressed i haven't been interested in it

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    I really appreciate all the advice and information passed on in this thread.

I took the plunge this evening and ordered the Banish 30 Gold package. Now the wait.. the wait.. the wait...

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I really appreciate all the advice and information passed on in this thread.

I took the plunge this evening and ordered the Banish 30 Gold package. Now the wait.. the wait.. the wait...
    Use the wait time to order mounts for it. I know some have been hell to find. Not sure about the Banish though.

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    @FrankZ I think you will be pleased, I very much enjoy my Banish 30 Gold.

@Sundazes I haven't had an issue getting them. The Banish 30 uses a muzzle break that the can threads on to and they don't seem to have supply issues currently. In fact, I need to order some more. I've got a Form 1 in for a 300 BLK and some AKs that might could use a bit of quieting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom