• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Think

Jan 9, 2013
    Hi everybody, I think I've picked the wrong time to get into shooting, and I would greatly appreciate some advice from some folks who are familiar with the climate and this hobby. I'm in the market for a pistol (home defense), a shotgun (home defense/hunting) and at least one rifle (prob a carbine).

I normally spend a lot of time researching and learning about my choices, but it looks like I may have to see what I can get my hands on for a reasonable price and choose based on price and availability.

In your opinion, will the current frenzy die down before more weapons get locked down? Would it be worth it to wait or is that a risky proposition? What weapons are likely to get more tightly regulated?

Where would you recommend going to not get ripped off? - and what should I use to check prices to see how badly I'm being gouged?

Thanks, and I apologize if what I'm asking is basic, but I've searched the net and not found any resources that I trust enough to base decisions off of.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    What's the rifles purpose going to be?

As far as handgun, I like my glock 17 and my beretta 92. They have at least 15 round capacity and are easy to shoot. Granted my 1911 is easy to shoot and all you need is one shot to stop a perpetrator but I like having backup aka more than 7 rounds. For shotgun I like my Remington 870. No one wants to mess with anyone who has a pump action :) I've never tried any of the mossbergs, but Remington and mossbergs are the two big shotguns to choose from. You can get them decked out however you want but the more you add the more expensive it gets. I would say don't spend more than $700 on your handgun. And don't buy the shotgun for more than $500. I think my Remington was like $550 because it had an extra barrel and a scope. So just watch for those types of things

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Think,
    As far as I've seen, handgun and shotgun prices are still normal (perhaps a bit higher) so you'd be safe buying either of those now and not feeling badly afterward. Where are you? We can suggest some good shops in your area that will not rip you off.

As to the rifle. Any semi-auto rifle is going to be very very high priced right now. Expect to pay double what you might have 2 months ago. Only you can be the judge of whether you are willing to pay the high price for the guarantee of having the rifle NOW.

-Jim

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Whatever you choose seek training so you are not more of a threat to yourself and others. HD is a good first role to fill as a beginner a 357 mag revolver might be a good choice or maybe a 9mm. For a shotgun you can't start better than the Rem 870 Moss 500. Either can be had in a combo shot/rifled slug which with a few acessories can fill any role you need a shotgun for. For a beginner rifle and even pistol you can not beat a 22. You can shoot a 22 all day for the price of a single mag for many other guns allowing you to gain the experience you need to become an accomplished shooter.
    For training start with the Hunter Safety course. They are open to all firearm safety questions and gives all (including kids) a state issued credential authorizing acess to loaded firearms. If you can get into an Appleseed class do. You will not only learn how to become a safe and accomplished rifleman you will learn the history and importance of the civillian rifleman.
    For HD I generally recommend a weapon light. There are plenty of clamp on options but if you can use a drill and tap you can add a rail to most anything.
    My personal recommendation would be get the shotgun and mag extension if you get the 870 and a clamp on rail for a light to cover your immediate HD needs. Then get a 10-22 which can be configured to match almost any rifle platform in existence. I also like the S&W 22a as a versatile practice piece. Also you might want to get softair versions of the guns you are considering. All you need is a packing blanket for an indoor range anywhere.
    I can not stress enough learning how to SAFELY and effectively use these for all in your home and a way to secure them from unauthorized acess.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Welcome to the forum, as suggested you nay want to seek training. Your best bet for good service and prices will be the Industry Partners subforum here on MDShooters.

Where are you located? That will help narrow down your search. I will offer my services as an instructor and my firearms for anyone new to shooting. Try a gun at the range before you buy.

gasman

Oct 8, 2007
    Baltimore City
    Welcome to the forum. As already stated, handgun and shotgun prices seem to be relatively unaffected, or only slightly higher. Magazine availability, however, has been affected. It is difficult right now to find a high capacity Glock magazine. Other brand magazines have become harder to find as well, but they are out there.

As suggested, try the industry partners here on MdShooters. Most of them, if not all will treat you right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Welcome! Yes, not the best time to be in the market.

Shotgun: Mossberg 590 or Remington 870

Pistol: Go to a gun shop or better yet a range that rents, and try a few. Anything popular will generally be reliable, beyond that it's a very personal choice as they all "feel" different in your hand.

Rifle: Wait. No one knows what will happen, but right now availability is slim and prices are silly. Eventually all the hoarders will have maxed their credit cards and that's the time to buy.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Also please lock up your firearms when not in use and also be aware of the strict MD laws regarding transporting regulated firearms: directly from your residence to the range or gun store and back.

kagemusha

May 8, 2012
    Baltimore City
    Welcome to the forum, Think. There's already good advice here. One thing I do take issue with is the characterization of the 1911 as a "one shot stop". There are whole threads dedicated to the caliber discussion, and I guess no one else has said anything so as to not hijack your thread. That being said, no caliber is going to be a magical instant death ray. Training and shot placement will help you more than choosing a caliber that will give you marginally larger holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    32 inch aluminum baseball bat makes a great weapon and they are cash and carry.

Sorry I only read the title, now I see you were refering to guns.;)
    Welcome to the forum and as stated visit the Industry partners here.

Think

Jan 9, 2013
    Thanks for the warm welcome and all the help. I appreciate the responses, and the focus on safety tells me I'm in the right place.

I'm in Glen Burnie, and have had Barts on Crain Hwy recommended to me. I was in the military and have some experience with using and maintaining firearms, but am planning on taking a good course anyway because it's been a few years now.

I enjoy shooting, and while I will purchase a few for home defense, I really just want to shoot because I enjoy it. Once I have a reliable and simple handgun and shotgun everything else will just be for pleasure, and possibly hunting down the road. I don't romanticize the idea of shooting somebody, but cool/old/unique guns really bring out the inner-geek in me.

I'll be heading up to On Target tonight to go rent some handguns and see what I like. Thanks for all of the specific recommendations! I will have to spend a few hours researching them all!

Ok, so gun safety course, handguns and shotguns to start with until the market settles down (No Barrett .50's just yet), proper storage and transport preparations, MDShooters sponsors = trusted, my baseball bat is good for more than hitting balls, and I have a bunch of recommendations to research.

Check.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Hi everybody, I think I've picked the wrong time to get into shooting, and I would greatly appreciate some advice from some folks who are familiar with the climate and this hobby. I'm in the market for a pistol (home defense), a shotgun (home defense/hunting) and at least one rifle (prob a carbine).

I normally spend a lot of time researching and learning about my choices, but it looks like I may have to see what I can get my hands on for a reasonable price and choose based on price and availability.

In your opinion, will the current frenzy die down before more weapons get locked down? Would it be worth it to wait or is that a risky proposition? What weapons are likely to get more tightly regulated?

Where would you recommend going to not get ripped off? - and what should I use to check prices to see how badly I'm being gouged?

Thanks, and I apologize if what I'm asking is basic, but I've searched the net and not found any resources that I trust enough to base decisions off of.

Think,

This may be a nitpicky item, but could you change your title/words to something less fear evoking? I can see the media using the title line to illustrate that gun owners are looking for "weapons". I know that most of the military folks here were taught to call it a weapon, and I personally don't have a big issue with it. Most of us here know the difference, but since this section is out for the public to see, we may want to use terminology that is a little more neutral, like firearm, semi-automatic, and such. Using Assault Weapon, when it is more likely a semi-automatic rifle, adds fuel to the panicked anti-gun crowd, and feeds the media machine.

As for your post, a magazine fed semi-auto rifle is probably overpriced at this time, but the shotgun and handgun would be good starting points.

Just my .02

Q

P.S. Welcome to the boards, and play nice.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I'm in Glen Burnie, and have had Barts on Crain Hwy recommended to me.

I'm only going to suggest that you comparison shop very carefully and not rush into a purchase at Bart's. Their prices are high IMHO and border on the unreasonable on some things.

If you find something you like there and after researching comparable firearms at other shops feel the price is fair, go for it.

However, in Glen Burnie, you are within range of many good shops and I would encourage you to check out some of the IPs here for starters. I can think of several that are easily within 30 minutes of GB. Some are much closer than that.

JmFinksburg

JmFinksburg
    May 15, 2012
    Carroll Co.
    On the contrary, you have picked a great time to get into shooting. Now more than ever, our Constitution is being attacked and eroded by vote grabbing politicians. The more people that shoot the better chance we have at protecting our 2nd Ammendment.

Your question is broad and can be answered with many options. You may consider a home defense class and also a hunter safety class. Both will give you options that you can taylor to your specific needs.

marylandondeck

Oct 26, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I'm only going to suggest that you comparison shop very carefully and not rush into a purchase at Bart's. Their prices are high IMHO and border on the unreasonable on some things.

If you find something you like there and after researching comparable firearms at other shops feel the price is fair, go for it.

However, in Glen Burnie, you are within range of many good shops and I would encourage you to check out some of the IPs here for starters. I can think of several that are easily within 30 minutes of GB. Some are much closer than that.

Barts is ridiculously priced IMHO. theres this place called A&D Pawn on Crain hwy (i'm also around glen burnie constantly lol) the guys there will treat you with respect , and won't price gouge you (at least from my experience) it would be a great starting point for a handgun and a shotgun. my best friend purchased his Ruger p95 there and couldn't be happier.

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD

+1 They are ridiculous with their pricing. They have to pay all the guys that sit behind the counter and don't help you though.

I'd recommend getting to know some local guys on here and going to the range to see what you like, or going to On Target or Free State and renting some guns to see what you like to shoot and what feels comfortable and going from there.

To suggest any type or style of a gun to someone at the point you are at now, wouldn't do any good. That is unless you would take that advice and go buy something that you really don't know if you would like or if it was for you.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    You don't want to get ripped off. I can think of one gun that will retain it's value and can run good modern ammunition.

M1 Garand, CMP Special (.308) $995
    Allow 30-60 days for delivery.
    M1 Garand Springfield Armory receiver. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. A .308 spacer block is installed to prevent the loading of a .30-06 round into the chamber.

You can order it today, it will take a while to come in, but you will not be getting ripped off. With an adjustable gas plug will run modern .308 ammo. It has reasonable enough accuracy for multiple uses and enough power to take down any animal in North America.

Other than that, on a rifle, wait unless you stumble across a great deal. Although unlikely right now, great deals are still out there, but they would come from family or friends.

Mark

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    If it were me, as a new shooter, and I wanted to buy a handgun, a rifle, and a shotgun with the knowledge that a potential ban was on the way, what would I buy?

One of the following pistols:

Glock 17L (although most would prefer the Glock 19 or 34) with the standard capacity 17 round mags.
    Springfield XD Subcompact with 10 and 15 round mags. (I own this gun)

One of the following rifles (I own all the following except the Mini 14):

AR-10 or AR-15, probably leaning toward the AR-15 just because of ammo costs. I would get plenty of std 20 and 30 round magazines.
    Vz.58 7.62x39 with 30 round magazines (nice light Carbine) and a 75 round drum (yes it exists!).
    Ruger Mini-14 with 20 round magazines.
    AK-47/74 variant 30 round magazines and 75 round drums.

And the following shotgun (I own this as well):

Saiga 12 with Drum magazine and adjustable gas plug. Accept no substitute.

Think

Jan 9, 2013
    Wow, thanks again for all of the help guys, I really appreciate it. Qbeam, you bring up a reasonable point and I will from now on choose more cuddly nouns when posting.

While I don't want to get ripped off, I also am not shy about purchasing a couple items based on research and recommendations, so I appreciate everybody's input.

Thanks for the heads-up about Barts. I found the staff knowledgeable and helpful, but also a little snobbish. Will def check out some of the places recommended here (as well as looking into the site sponsors).

Met a cool guy while trying out some pistols at On Target, he had a little Walther P22, and it looked like a blast to shoot. Was really friendly and let me check it out. I think I'll keep my eyes open for one at a decent price for an inexpensive pistol to take out to the range. I'm also leaning towards a 9mm Beretta for the house, simply because I'm already familiar with it and I know that they last when well maintained.

Markp - I wasn't aware that the Saiga 12 was something that we civilians could actually purchase! I'm assuming that it must be gimped to semi-auto though, yes? I also have an unreasonable desire to get a Barrett .50, but can't justify the expense if there's no place I can go to use it. Well, that and the feeling that I would just be getting waaay ahead of myself here - but I would hate for it to get banned and simply not have the choice either.

Old Gaffer

Jun 26, 2006
    <snip>
    I'll be heading up to On Target tonight to go rent some handguns and see what I like.

Check into classes at On Target while you're there - one of DW's friends is (or was) an instructor there.

I've always had a good time at On Target - they have a nice selection of rental guns (most could use a good cleaning, tho) and their indoor range has some of the best air filtration and circulation of any indoor range I've been too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom