• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    So I am a fairly new shooter, as I have owned a rifle as a child, for plinking. Now I have a pistol or two, and another rifle or two, and I am trying to take this marksmanship more seriously.

I went to the range the other day and was pretty disappointed by my accuracy. I wasn't too bad sitting with the rifle [SKS / 50yard target], but with the pistol and standing with the rifle I was consistently left of my poa [pistol].

What would you guys recommend for consistency training ?? I have taken a class or two [basic 1 day classes] . My problem is when I go to the range, I don't have a plan that would build on my skills. I just go, get some targets, and shoot at 15 25 and 50 with my rifle and pistol.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. [$$ is a little tight as I have a newborn son and new wife so ...]

Thanks in advance,

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    With the pistol, not enough finger on the trigger. With the rifle, possible canted sights. Appleseed shoots would help you with rifle, a smaller gripped pistol with your pistol shooting.

Last edited:

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Work on the basics seated with a rest. I'm sure your one day classes when over these but here is a start: Take ten shots and work on trigger control, ten on breath, ten on grip, and ten on follow through. Take your time and concentrate between shots. Once you have these basics down you can proceed to standing. More movement with standing so you are always going to be less accurate than from a rest. With practice it just become less apparent. See if the range has someone who can fine tune your skills. Hard to self teach. Don't be too hard on your self. This is suppose to be fun.

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    Thanks for the ideas. My shooting isn't too bad from seated. I do try to practice breath control [squeezing at the 'natural pause after the exhale'..]
    I will take a look at some pistol courses and think more about how much finger on trigger thanks again!

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Print this out and take it to the range with you. It helped me tons when I first started shooting pistols.

Pistol-shooting-chart.jpg

This is assuming you're right handed. Left handed is the same, but flipped from right to left.

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    Ahhh what I need. yes Im in the too little trigger lane.

I also was shooting my friends Sig p229. What a difference from my Taurus. Actually shot a second shot because the reset was so quick and light on the SA pull.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    The AGC has Bullseye pistol league every Tuesday night at 6 pm for 5 bucks per league night that includes targets. Good group of folks and they can difinently give you tips. Come as often or as little as you like. PM me if you want more info. There are other similar leagues throughout Maryland if the AGC is too far away from you and I can tell you more about those locations if you are interested.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    You want to be a better shooter? Two simple steps:

1.) Take a few lessons from someone who knows how to shoot and is certified to teach it.
    2.) Practice. A lot.

There's a difference between understanding the fundamentals academically and actually putting them to use, and the only way to dial it in to where you are physically doing what you academically know how to do is to do it. Lots. Shooting a gun well is like any other skill that needs to be practiced.

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    The AGC has Bullseye pistol league every Tuesday night at 6 pm for 5 bucks per league night that includes targets. Good group of folks and they can difinently give you tips. Come as often or as little as you like. PM me if you want more info. There are other similar leagues throughout Maryland if the AGC is too far away from you and I can tell you more about those locations if you are interested.

Yes please I work in Columbia and live in Washington DC but will travel .
    I did take a class but it was more of a HQL class. As far as practicing, I guess I need a 'worksheet' because I go to the range and just 'bamoff' without much of a plan.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Yes please I work in Columbia and live in Washington DC but will travel .
    I did take a class but it was more of a HQL class. As far as practicing, I guess I need a 'worksheet' because I go to the range and just 'bamoff' without much of a plan.

Bring a pistol, 60 rounds of ammo, 2 mags, a staple gun, pen, and masking tape any Tuesday night. Try to get there around 5 pm so you can introduce yourself and either myself or Ed Grove who runs that league will set you up with a partner. There are usually about 10-12 of us there this time of year...and 20 or more on warm days. The pistol range firing positions are heated and lit.

You will be shooting at 25 yards at 6 targets. 2 targets will be slow fire, 10 rounds each target, 10 minutes per target. 2 targets will be timed fire, 10 rounds each target, four five shoot strings, 20 seconds per string. 2 targets will be rapid fire, four five shot strings, 10 seconds per string. Both the timed and rapid fire strings are turning targets to make it interesting. We finish up the league at around 7 PM.

I hope to see you there soon. The AGC league is open to the general public.

BTW I to live in Columbia and work in DC.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Find yourself a certified instructor or coach. A few sessions with one would probably do you a world of good because it is hard to teach yourself new skills without someone knowledgeable to point out what you are doing wrong.

Google Natural Point Of Aim.

For rifle look at the Coaching Resources Page on the CMP web site:
    http://thecmp.org/training-tech/coaching-resources/
    Pay particular attention to the first two entries.
    The back issues of On The Mark magazine have a number of good articles that will help.
    http://thecmp.org/communications/on-the-mark/
    The list of Gary Anderson Articles is particularly helpful, Google his name if you don't know who he is.
    http://thecmp.org/communications/gary_otm/

For pistol shooting try the USAMU Pistol Guide available online from several sources:
    http://www.bullseyepistol.com/amucover.htm

Find a junior shooting program and volunteer to help. Just listening to the juniors being taught and coached will teach you a lot and most junior programs can use help.

Apr 15, 2013
    Appleseed shoots would help you with rifle

This.

Appleseed addresses, before lunch on the first day:

-What is good performance with/from a rifle?
    -How is this performance defined and measured?
    -How much of that is shooter, and how much is equipment?
    -What is the practical application of being able to shoot at this level of performance?
    -How do you practice and develop your skill to achieve that level of performance?

It was the most useful, meaningful, and interesting shooting instruction I've ever had.

Cost is $60, and about 400 rounds of ammo. The program is offered once a month at AAF&G (half an hour from Columbia), and a couple times a year at AGC.

Dates and locations

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Many people find dry firing to be very beneficial, I know I did. I would load up some snap caps while watching TV and fire away. This does wonders for practicing trigger control, hand position, breathing, etc. Of course you need to practice with live ammo, at a range...a lot!!!

Regarding snap caps, most are junk and do not protect the firing pin. I strongly suggest the 'Tipton' snap caps which have a spring loaded plunger to protect the firing pin :thumbsup::thumbsup:

http://www.amazon.com/Tipton-Snap-Caps-9mm-Luger/dp/B0048KFEQI

gasman

Oct 8, 2007
    Baltimore City
    Turbohugh, I would strongly recommend a class. In light of financial and time constraints, I would also recommend you try some dry fire practice. You can vastly improve your trigger control without firing a single shot just by applying a little time and effort.

If you can meet at Free State or Continental, I would be happy to meet with you some time and go over some basics with you. Send me a PM if you would like to.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Join a club or range.

I know many of the clubs at the AGC have mentoring programs or hold events that will sharpen your skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom