• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    Just finished the conversion of my IZ-240. Big thanks to Nemesis for the pistol grip/trigger group conversion. I would also like to thank Centerfire Systems. Ordered Thursday, at my FFL on Monday.

Pre Conversion
    bj8yoj.jpg

After pistol grip/trigger group conversion

2qimsdf.jpg

After handguard/gastube conversion with a real magazine. As is customary, feet are included.
    35lcllj.jpg

Now all I need is some Bulgarian surplus mags. I haven't installed a bullet guide, but hopefully it will cycle from these Tapco mags ok. Hard to be down over my girlfriend breaking up with me when I have a new toy :party29: Now I think I need another one in 7.62 to leave in its original sporter setup so I can have a piece of 100% Izmash goodness :smoke:

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I have found that using mil surp mags means no bullet guide needed. However tapco mags don't work quite as flawlessly. I've found that with a single round in the mag, it won't feed right. However if you put more than one round in the mag, all the rounds feed fine. Odd I know.

Nice conversion! I am a huge fan of the 5.45 AK's. No recoil, long range accuracy, cheap ammo, exceptional reliability, what's not to love?

-Jim

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I would love a Saiga12. Just never tested one so I don't want to commit lol.

Saiga 12 is VERY VERY fun, even trying to shoot trap with it is a blast, in my case it did quite well as a trap gun. You owe it to yourself to at least try one out.

Sucks about the gf, women come and go, but your guns will never leave, unless you want them to. ;)

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    Saiga 12 is VERY VERY fun, even trying to shoot trap with it is a blast, in my case it did quite well as a trap gun. You owe it to yourself to at least try one out.

Sucks about the gf, women come and go, but your guns will never leave, unless you want them to. ;)

Don't you go trying to get ahold of my collection while i'm in the dirt :D
    I'm surprised Nemesis hasn't chimed in yet. While we were working on the conversion I hinted strongly that I wanted to shoot his Saiga 12...Not sure he got the hint :innocent0... Gotta get a meetup going in the MG thread. My shotguns are break aways and a mossberg 500, time I stepped it up.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I got plenty of 12ga shells in the closet.

Don't worry about me lifting anything, I've seen how mike shoots, that's enough to keep me from thinking about anything.

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    I got plenty of 12ga shells in the closet.

Don't worry about me lifting anything, I've seen how mike shoots, that's enough to keep me from thinking about anything.

Hah, like i've got anything work taking anyways :lol2: . With guys like SCARCQB around (who I have yet to have the honor of meeting), my collection looks like some kids airsoft collection :lol:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Hah, like i've got anything work taking anyways :lol2: . With guys like SCARCQB around (who I have yet to have the honor of meeting), my collection looks like some kids airsoft collection :lol:

Totally agree there, I also have yet to have the honor of meeting/shooting with SCAR - but I plan on rectifying that once my upper gets back to me. We're going to compare grouping capabilities, Direct Impingement vs Piston-Driven, I expect to lose, but I'm curious to see just by how much I'll lose.

I got to arrange that quick, before he gets used to shooting with glasses - I'll take every advantage I can get. :D

I told him though, if he brings something with a happy switch, I win by default.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Don't you go trying to get ahold of my collection while i'm in the dirt :D
    I'm surprised Nemesis hasn't chimed in yet. While we were working on the conversion I hinted strongly that I wanted to shoot his Saiga 12...Not sure he got the hint :innocent0... Gotta get a meetup going in the MG thread. My shotguns are break aways and a mossberg 500, time I stepped it up.

a bit busy lol...

i got the hint lol, just get some 00 buck or slugs for it...i still havent redone the gas system so it can run that crap bulk pack stuff, so all she cycles is the high powered stuff...but yea, just get some ammo for it and let me know, you are free to throw rounds down range with her.

also, it was fun working on your rifle...i always enjoy getting my hands on them lol.

wailer

Oct 2, 2008
    Largo
    a bit busy lol...

i got the hint lol, just get some 00 buck or slugs for it...i still havent redone the gas system so it can run that crap bulk pack stuff, so all she cycles is the high powered stuff...but yea, just get some ammo for it and let me know, you are free to throw rounds down range with her.

also, it was fun working on your rifle...i always enjoy getting my hands on them lol.

Nemesis is a real stand up dude he basically built my Saiga.223 out of love for the AK platform, and not to mention helping a brother out, glad the 5.45 conversion came out great.

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    Went to MG yesterday and ran 150rds through it. No bullet guide w/ Tapco 30rd mags and not one malfunction! BYAW!!!! Gotta love those spam cans, Russians were even thoughtfull enough to break it into 30rd packs for me. one pack= 1 magazine, no leftovers. I had no idea those spamcans were so tough! I think they designed those things to be dropped out of bomber planes :lol2: Took about 30 minutes with a mosin bayo and a 10" pair of pliers to get through that thing.

5.45 is awesome! Could have fired that thing from my crotch :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom