• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have a S&W 25-2 and a buddy has a S&W 625.
    Both shoot .45 ACP and they are awesome guns!
    Love my 25-2.

Wonder how the Ruger would compare?
    Does anyone know... Moon clips for the Ruger?"

The Smiths swing quicker but recoil more. With standard 45 Colt loads, not a big deal with either. They also won't take heavy loads like the Redhawk.

A 5.5" barreled Redhawk is 50 - 52 ounces so adding an underlug would make it a very soft shooter.

Out of all handguns the Redhawk is my favorite. I've had three Redhawks and liked them all, and absolutely the 5.5" one I still have. The grips are just right, I use them in warmer weather and use rubber as well and almost exclusively for winter time shooting of heavy loads. They are accurate and you can't hurt them much. The action can also be slicked up very well. The 45 Redhawk looks attractive for improved ballistics.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Meh Ill take my $550 bear buster instead

vTepmXEbUigNRGo_5x4gCGl0FK51PfHOIpp4AmnVBpk=w1357-h904-no

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I can't get the link to load, but Ruger just rolled out a new version of the Redhawk. This is a really nice looking model that chambers 45lc and .45acp. Sadly, its MSRP IS over $1000. Once again a new, very cool gun that's priced out of the market for a lot of folks.

Looks just like the early (first year) security sixes, just beefier. I like the looks, but don't see what role it fills, given the revolvers I already own. It's not a hunter and I have a 625.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    This would be for those without that niche filled. It is a handloader's revolver, taking 45 Colt power far beyond what the 625 can deliver. In many states it is legal to hunt with a four inch barreled gun.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I have a S&W Mod 25 in .45 ACP, also a Ruger flattop Blackhawk with 45 Colt and 45 ACP cylinders. Would like to pick up a colt new service in 45 Colt with the bankruptcy in the news.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    It's a beautiful gun and I think that .45lc is under valued as a defensive caliber.

Haven't heard that statement made in connection with 45 Colt too often. But I absolutely agree with you. 45 Colt is one of those cartridges that got overshadowed and lost favor, along with the revolver platform itself generally later on and by the 1980's. Has thankfully made a comeback of sorts in more recent times. And more so nowadays than ever, 45 Colt is in many ways a cartridge that can be tailor made to be darned near anything you might want or need it to be.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I have grown to appreciate the 45 Colt lately. I got a Bisley Blackhawk and if you want to develop some hot loads, that is the gun. 45 Colt can be loaded to surpass the 44 Mag, as the bullet is much heavier, delivering more power at lower velocities. And the usual 45 Colt is no slouch either with a 250 gr. bullet.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I have grown to appreciate the 45 Colt lately. I got a Bisley Blackhawk and if you want to develop some hot loads, that is the gun. 45 Colt can be loaded to surpass the 44 Mag, as the bullet is much heavier, delivering more power at lower velocities. And the usual 45 Colt is no slouch either with a 250 gr. bullet.

I ran across this link on a GB auction for a custom Ruger
    Dissolving the Myth Uncovering the Legend of the 45 colt
    http://customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom