• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fstbk272

Jun 1, 2010
    MD
    So, I picked up my new RIA tactical .45 1911 today. all I can say is AWESOME GUN! Its super tight, fit and finish was phenomenal!

Anyway, so get em' home ( dad got one too) cleaned both thoroughly with alcohol, reoiled dad's gun. Then cleaned mine with M.E.K.

Taped it up, and sprayed it Desert sand/ Khaki tonight.

Basically after cleaning it, I wax and grease removed it again, sprayed adhesion promoter, and sprayed 2 coats of Khaki on it. Pics to follow.

Fstbk272

Jun 1, 2010
    MD
    0824002151-1.jpg

Before.

0824002114-1.jpg

First steps of Khaki Color. ( Sorry Cell phone pics)

Need to get some flat black for the rest of the parts, and it'll be done tomorrow.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    So, I picked up my new RIA tactical .45 1911 today. all I can say is AWESOME GUN! Its super tight, fit and finish was phenomenal!

Anyway, so get em' home ( dad got one too) cleaned both thoroughly with alcohol, reoiled dad's gun. Then cleaned mine with M.E.K.

Taped it up, and sprayed it Desert sand/ Khaki tonight.

Basically after cleaning it, I wax and grease removed it again, sprayed adhesion promoter, and sprayed 2 coats of Khaki on it. Pics to follow.

Guess I should have got the tactical version. "Fit" and "finish" are not in the vocabulary I would use to describe my RIA M1911-A1FS. Looks like they hand fit and finished it with a grinding wheel.:sad20:

The DS color looks pretty neat. Good luck:thumbsup:

Fstbk272

Jun 1, 2010
    MD
    How long ago did you get it? I've also held (current) GI models, and they were just as nice. Just didnt have as nice a trigger or hammer.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Locally.
    My fault for an impulse buy and not doing my homework. I wanted a 1911 "just because".

Enough with my woes.

Can't wait to see the finished paint job. Duracoat?

Fstbk272

Jun 1, 2010
    MD
    nah, krylon camo paint. works good. i did my rem 700 with it a month or so ago, Turned out awesome.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    2 weeks ago.:sad20:

Shoots low and right, to top it all off.

If you aren't happy with your RIA, here is their service info:
    RIA service:
    Armscor Precision
    150 N. Smart Way
    Pahrump, NV 89060

gunsmith@armscor.net

The phone number is 775-537-1444

They have a sub forum on 1911forum.com One of their 'smiths posts there. The only issue with that guy is that he gives customers who supply him with Doctor Pepper special treatment.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    I look forward to seeing the finished pics.
    I'm also curious to know how well it holds up over time.

Looks pretty good so far. :thumbsup:

Fstbk272

Jun 1, 2010
    MD
    Thanks man. It should hopefully hold up well. Like I said, I did my rem 700, a month or so ago, and it's held up fine. Been cleaned a few times, held up to solvents. Only thing I can see as a problem maybe, is holster wear, but cant holster it anywhere near here so...lol

Unspoken

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 11, 2010
    Ambassador of GA
    Great job! The paint job looks A+. But man, I do love the look of it in the box before paint too. Fantastic looking handgun. How much did you pay for it? (if youre not comfortable posting it here, can you PM me?) Thanks!

Fstbk272

Jun 1, 2010
    MD
    Thanks, yes I like the way it looks also, but i had to have it Tan. ha. I can always shoot my father's he has same gun. Anyway, I got it for 443 shipped from Bellshire hardware. (420 plus shipping and CC fee (3%), but I ordered 2 guns, they are normally 430) and then 30 tyransfer at gunrunners in frederick. So $473.

Dino

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2006
    Beltsville, Md.
    Thanks man. It should hopefully hold up well. Like I said, I did my rem 700, a month or so ago, and it's held up fine. Been cleaned a few times, held up to solvents. Only thing I can see as a problem maybe, is holster wear, but cant holster it anywhere near here so...lol

I used Krylon Camo paint to finish this Van Halen style replica guitar.
    Then I went over it with an acrylic urethane flat clearcoat to level out the graphics and help protect the finish.

I don't normally paint guitars with Krylon, but the colors were spot on and it's held up really well.
    Then again, I don't clean my guitars with gun solvent. :D

Gallerya.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom